• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Stroppe Bronco rebuild

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
There is an electric fuel pump that was bolted to the rear crossmember of 22491... Im 99% sure this was added by a PO, maybe the mechanical pump failed at some point in its life and this was the fix at the time? Just making sure this isnt a ford special option or something. or a Stroppe thing?

That's an old pump - I would say 99% chance it's added by previous owner.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree. Can't say no about Stroppe ever doing it, but it was a very common thing done by old-school Bronco owners that used their rigs for rock-hounding or hunting or just exploring the desert/mountains/wherever.
Usually as a backup pump, rather than the primary, it was sometimes used as the main pump as well. Just depended on the person installing it and why.

Paul

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Chassis back from Blasting

Chassis of Baja 22491 back from the sandblaster. Most of the smaller pieces are hand blasted in a cabinet. Still no rust or any surprises revealed, but I have a couple of exhaust brackets to grind off that were added by a PO at some point.

Going back with some eastwood chassis black, shot from HVLP. That should be a close match to the factory finish and still be durable.

The plan is to have all the chassis components in black color by the end of thanksgiving week. Then... better times with assembling clean parts!

Attachments

• Baja 22491 20181114 Chassis update 01.jpg
    Baja 22491 20181114 Chassis update 01.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Baja 22491 20181114 Chassis update 02.jpg
    Baja 22491 20181114 Chassis update 02.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 105

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great when you can start fresh. Or almost fresh considering it is still almost 50 years old now!
Got any pics of the factory welds under the spring hangers and other frame-mounted brackets?
Wondering how they compare to others we've seen lately. One member had his frame come back bare metal (should still be near the top of the page here since it was being discussed just yesterday) and some were pretty rough.
Be interesting to compare.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Got any pics of the factory welds under the spring hangers and other frame-mounted brackets?
Wondering how they compare to others we've seen lately.

I will post some of those. First response - you are totally correct. The factory welding on the frame, both Stroppe-specific and Ford's original frame work, looks like a kid did it! its staggering how much the quality standards have changed over the years.

But, in some ways, it feels very authentic that way.. so I wouldnt change it. Its just how they were!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree! Which is why my '71 still has some MIG wire sticking out of one of the crossmember welds. I'm not sure it's the right diameter to be a core from a stick welder, so I assumed it was a MIG bit.

And my '79 has a factory-installed flame burn hole in the right side frame rail.
I've seen it on multiple trucks, almost the same size and shape, so if the frame were not made by Ford, but were instead made by an outside vendor, then the vendor had an issue with one of their automated welding/cutting machines.
Or maybe it was where a welder/cutter was being pulled away from the frame? I don't know what was happening, but it's a pretty ugly gash.
My welds are much cleaner on the full-size than on the Bronco. But some oddities still remain.
Thought I was unique until I saw a couple more on other trucks.

Paul

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Chassis minor update - frame horn, blue engine paint and Eastwood

Well, for those who dont know, Eastwood's line of chassis paint is largely on back order until "late December" So I did not get the frame or suspension painted over thanksgiving like I had hoped. I cut my losses and cancelled the order completely. Yesterday I reordered from Summit Racing, similar product. When that gets in, I will get her in black.

Many of you may laugh. I noticed the drivers side front-most frame horn is the only one of 4 total body mount locations that is WELDED on to the frame. I was sure this was evidence of prior collision or something. Then I went through pictures of my other old broncos and found them all to be the same way. I'm an idiot. Why was that one welded and not riveted on like the others, anyone know?

Similar area, but unrelated issue: The truck had power steering on it when discovered. According to Andrew and research, the truck was NOT equipped with power steering from Ford or Stroppe, like most other later Baja's were. I may leave the holes on the frame. I may even run the power steering, although I like the idea of it being original and even "harder work" to steer it, just like it was originally. Part of me likes the idea of it having the character it left Stroppe with, which includes its... weaknesses. TBD.

Also struggling with the engine blue color. I know this should be easily found in the forum, but I found mixed results which gives me doubts. For 1971, should the engine color be "Ford Dark Blue" or "Old Ford Blue"? Looking for accuracy on this, not just my favorite shade.

I have Duplicolor numbers DE1601, DE1606 and DE1621 all provided as recommended colors. I THINK DE1606 appears correct. Anybody know for sure which is most correct for 71 blocks?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Baja 22491 20181127 Chassis update.jpg
    Baja 22491 20181127 Chassis update.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 108

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, thought I replied this am to this...apparently not. The Dark Ford blue is not what you want - thats a really dark Blue I think used in '66 and on FE motors alot. Mustang shop I worked at 20 years ago loved that color. I think the 1601 is most correct. I have an older can of it here. Shook up this morning and it sprayed some different shades then settled on what looks correct to me. Double check and buy 3 at the same place if you can to get a family from the same batch. I can't count how many times I've had body shop/powdercoater/sandblaster/casual bystander mention "Hey, you really gotta straighten that mount out!!" in reference to the LEft front.

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Man, thought I replied this am to this...apparently not. The Dark Ford blue is not what you want - thats a really dark Blue I think used in '66 and on FE motors alot. Mustang shop I worked at 20 years ago loved that color. I think the 1601 is most correct. I have an older can of it here. Shook up this morning and it sprayed some different shades then settled on what looks correct to me. Double check and buy 3 at the same place if you can to get a family from the same batch. I can't count how many times I've had body shop/powdercoater/sandblaster/casual bystander mention "Hey, you really gotta straighten that mount out!!" in reference to the LEft front.

Reading you loud and clear. Buying 3 is smart. Back to the old color "lots" issue I presume. Good call. Thanks for the test spray, your the best Andrew! Thank you as always!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look where that mount is. It's just trying to compete with too many different (but equally important) parts of the vehicle. Think steering box for one.
A riveted mount would necessarily require wide flanges to accept the rivets. No room.
If they moved it farther forward to accommodate the wide flanges, the angle rearward to hit the hole correctly would have been even more, and that meant a slightly more complex forming.
Moving it forward may also have been determined to be to close to competing with potential equipment mounting points on the frame. Things like snow-plow frames and reinforcing plates for PTO winch bumpers and such.
It would also have meant the mounting point would have been more visible under the grille, and maybe even partly in front of it. Not acceptable.

Probably they just felt that, in the end, welding was the better solution to all the other issues, and potential issues.

Paul

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Agree! Which is why my '71 still has some MIG wire sticking out of one of the crossmember welds. I'm not sure it's the right diameter to be a core from a stick welder, so I assumed it was a MIG bit.

Paul, I took this photo for you in reference to the welding quality discussion. pretty crude! Not that I would change it, I think it gives these old trucks character. I have no intentions of removing that welding wire. ;D

Attachments

• Bronco Frame Welding.jpg
    Bronco Frame Welding.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 113

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! That's just what I was thinking about.
And yep, adds "vintage character" for sure.

Paul

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

UPDATE frame painted!

Again, been awhile since updated, but then again, its been wintertime. Been really motivated for a rumor of a Stroppe Reunion in 2021 (50 years, and 22491 is a super early 71 model so I feel compelled) so...if that does happen, I'd like to be ready. Rumored to be up in New England so that's a heck of a road trip from central Oklahoma...but hey, we will take the scenic route.

Since last update, I've cleaned up a couple minor frame details and painted. i didn't grind a single piece of slag or splatter off the frame... I did cut a very crude exhaust bracket off that was clearly not Ford OE or Stroppe. The truck clearly had dual exhaust on it but it was a piece of plate added and stuck to the inner frame side. It ALSO had a bolt on exhaust hanger bracket that seems legit, for the drivers side, and a welded on more legit looking bracket on the pass. I left that one on. I dont THINK this truck had factory dual exhaust based on the evidence discussed with Andrew, but I might run that stroppe option duels that you can buy. I planned to run headers...and going back to a single pipe from long tubes just seems wrong to me. btw that brown color on the frame isnt rust...I blasted off some undercoating and it left a ... a stain. just a brown color.... but oddly, its not oxidation. covered up perfect.

Even thought 22491 was NOT a power steering truck originally, it had been fitted with an EB steering box and holes were drilled and sleeved in the frame. I decided to leave those in place and probably run the power steering for drivability. And I have a power brake booster and bracket that came with it (again, didnt have originally) but I will probably run that too for comfort. Beyond that and the minor spring lift and 33's, i don't plan to take any other custom liberties.

So her frame is painted. Caught a day here in OK winter in the 60's and shot it with a product called "chassis shield" from summit. its a good 2 part epoxy. I ordered semigloss, and it came out glossier than expected..but it doesnt look bad.

This weekend it will be warm again, and I'm painting the front and rear axle housings, radius arms and leaf springs and associated brackets. all has been blasted and prepped. After that, I hope to be assembling pretty fast! I have some cosmetic resto to do on small parts, but the motor, trans, trans-case, etc are all rebuilt. cant wait for this to start looking more like a truck!

Pardon my paint booth, its about all I have besides painting out side. I built it with conduit so i can "roll up" the plastic sheeting when not using it. helps some.

more to come!

Cullen

Attachments

• paint booth.jpg
    paint booth.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 22491 frame ready.jpg
    22491 frame ready.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 22491 Frame Painted.jpg
    22491 Frame Painted.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 80

House

Minutia Militia
Looking good Cullen!

**rumor of a Stroppe Reunion in 2021**. Rumored to be up in New England**

What is the world does New England have to do with Bill Stroppe and Associates?!
Did someone look at a map and find the furthest point from his old facility and say "That looks like a good spot!".
Alaska is literally closer to Long Beach than New England! :mad:

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks good! I did the same kind of paint booth when I painted mine. Stroppe Reunion 2021? that sounds like lots of fun & a nice road trip to boot.

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Looks good! I did the same kind of paint booth when I painted mine. Stroppe Reunion 2021? that sounds like lots of fun & a nice road trip to boot.

I agree... but location. argh! I dont want to misquote the coordinator of the event discussed... but I'll check my facts and permissions and give more detail...

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

ok, there is discussion of a Stroppe feature event at the Carlisle Ford Nationals in early June of 2021 in Carlisle Pennsylvania.

I've never been to this event but it's a big Ford show, with a potential Stroppe feature. There is also discussion of revealing the Stroppe Transport Hauler after its restoration.

Drew Peroni has shared some info on this event in the last on this forum.

Last edited:

House

Minutia Militia
Drew Peroni has shared some info on this event in the past on this forum.

Are you sure about that? I can't find anything searching...
Are you on a Facebook Group of some sort by chance?
This is the first I have heard of any of this.
Crazy!

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Are you sure about that? I can't find anything searching...
Are you on a Facebook Group of some sort by chance?
This is the first I have heard of any of this.
Crazy!

Hey house, yes. Facebook. Early Bronco drivers group. I've reached out to Drew Peroni asking for his permission to share what he said, or you can view it here. I guess this is just his words on a public forum. The last few paragraphs talk about Carlisle. The rest of the post is about the progress on the transport rig. hope this link works...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/85662735276?view=permalink&id=10160650701645277

Last edited: