• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some help

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Sorry to post this twice, but I have not posted much in the last two weeks because I have run into some difficulty with my engine.

When I did the EFI swap back in 2010, I swapped the harmonic balancer for one that was drilled for the factory V belt pulley (3 bolt vs. Mustang 4 bolt). The balancer does not have mechanical marks but labels for all the possible timing configurations. It is so rusted, you cannot see the marks, so I bought another one.

In the process of taking the old balancer off, the bolt will loosen but not come out of the end of the crank. I honestly cannot remember if I used the bolt to pull the balancer on 7 years ago, if so I believe I have stretched the threads and that is why the bolt will not come out.

Any thoughts on resolving this issue without pulling the engine back out of the truck??

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Sounds bad. those fine threads are made to take alot of torque but perhaps are easier to cross thread too...

OP
OP
SevenT

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
AZ73,

Thanks for the input. I will try to do this after Thanksgiving, in Phoenix for the week.

Sanndmann3,

According to the Mustang forums, the threads can strip if you use the bolt to pull the balancer onto the crank. I may have done that 7 years ago and am not positive. I hope the option AZ73 gave will work.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The proper way to put the balancer on is to screw an installer's hardened steel bolt all the way in, then use a faceplate on that to pull the balancer on. That way all the threads are used. What you did is common though because people don't have the tool (it's free on loan from most auto parts stores). Before you try using a pry bar for leverage, call and engine machine shop and see what they say. They might have another technique.

OP
OP
SevenT

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Balancer bolt help

AZ73,

Spoke to a couple of engine buildes in Phoenix and they said pry on the bolt and turn. One even said to try to get a slide hammer on it. I have some work to do after Thanksgiving. Thanks for the input.