• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacement Body tubs

CartF1Fan

Loc.
Cary
Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the full replacement tubs from either Dennis Carpenter or Bronco Connection?

DC: http://dennis-carpenter.com/BroncoBodyTub.aspx
BC: http://www.my4x4parts.com/body-assemblies

My body was toast and finding a used tub for a decent price seems like a tall order. I've pretty much decided against fiberglass.

If would be great to hear from anyone who has gone that route, hear their about their experience, and see any pictures of the process (prepping the body for paint, etc)

Thanks!

Nothing Special

Maybe not what you were asking for, but I went the fiberglass route on a '75 CJ5. I loved it and expect to do it eventually on my Bronco. No fear of rust so I could drive it in Minnesota winters and WAY tougher than steel against impacts (a 4" diameter 4' long branch dropped ~12' on the hood once, not a mark). Not saying you're wrong to decide against 'glass, but that's my experience.

OP
OP
CartF1Fan

CartF1Fan

Loc.
Cary
Bob,

Thanks for the input. I guess I have not fully decided yet bet was leaning toward steel just from a resale perspective. Any thoughts on where you'd go for your 'glass Bronco tub? BroncoByDesign ?

I'd really like to get to a bronco meet where I could see 'glass vs steel side by side.

Go Gophers. :)

Nothing Special

Bob,

Thanks for the input. I guess I have not fully decided yet bet was leaning toward steel just from a resale perspective. Any thoughts on where you'd go for your 'glass Bronco tub? BroncoByDesign ?

I'd really like to get to a bronco meet where I could see 'glass vs steel side by side.

Go Gophers. :)

Personally I don't worry about resale value on project vehicles. They're never worthy close to what I put in them, so maybe I should worry about it more, but that's me and my priorities.

I'm probably at least a few years away from starting a tub swap, so I really haven't looked into specifics on it yet.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I would buy the bronco connection over the Dennis carpenter tub. Never seen a LAL tub. Bronco design are great if you want glass.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Cart, what's your location?

The advantage to ordering a tub is you are saving yourself time, maybe 1-2 years. The disadvantage? Money. It's going to cost you a lot of money to fix these tubs from Dennis Carpenter after you buy it and pay the shipping. Who do you trust to fix these pre-built tubs? They aren't going to be perfect and will need a lot of work once you get them.

I asked your location because there are Bronco builders on this forum who have credibility and maybe one of them is near you. This is the time issue, all good or great builders have a wait time. Usually one to two years from the date you drop it off before they can start on it. Then expect another year plus to finish it.

OP
OP
CartF1Fan

CartF1Fan

Loc.
Cary
Cart, what's your location?

The advantage to ordering a tub is you are saving yourself time, maybe 1-2 years. The disadvantage? Money. It's going to cost you a lot of money to fix these tubs from Dennis Carpenter after you buy it and pay the shipping. Who do you trust to fix these pre-built tubs? They aren't going to be perfect and will need a lot of work once you get them.

I asked your location because there are Bronco builders on this forum who have credibility and maybe one of them is near you. This is the time issue, all good or great builders have a wait time. Usually one to two years from the date you drop it off before they can start on it. Then expect another year plus to finish it.

Thanks for the input. I'm outside of Chicago which seems to be the desert of the restoration industry. I'm about a half a year from going at this in earnest so am open to all options.

Do you or your buddies have any experience using the prebuilt tubs? I know the painting is going to be fairly labor intensive as the weld-through primer needs to be removed, but I'm not getting why the would need "a lot of work" once in my hands. I did read about the fiberglass ones needing a fair bit of block sanding prior to painting, but don't have enough first hand stories to know about the steel ones.

Mikesimp70

The disadvantage? Money. It's going to cost you a lot of money to fix these tubs from Dennis Carpenter after you buy it and pay the shipping. Who do you trust to fix these pre-built tubs? They aren't going to be perfect and will need a lot of work once you get them.

Please expand your thought here, I want to get my head straight and hear real world experience on this.

Currently, I dont know anything about the DC unit or the folks in Ohio putting it together. I have been to Norfolk however and to me, what Bronco Connection is doing looks a lot more repeatable and robust than the originals. They are advertising the full body assembly as "ready to prep for paint". $14,500

@ ~$75/hr, opening Pandoras box on most of the project Broncos I've looked at would eat that up real quick!

If the goal is a concours restoration then you would be starting with something more preserved than most.

What am I missing?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have years and skills, repairing an original tub is the way to go to save $. If not, and you can afford it, $14,500 is a steal. If I added up my time at even $25/hr cub rate, I'll be well over that with body work and paint. For me it was a desire to learn those skills, so it's worth it. If I lived in the midwest or east I'd go fiberglass in a heartbeat. Block sanding is time consuming but easy once you get the hang of it. Nothing to fear and no worse than straightening out a wavy metal tub. Personally, I think that a well done FG Bronco in the rust belt is going to be a valuable commodity. Emphasis on well done...Just my thoughts after a year of bodywork and paint on a rust free CA Bronco. Have fun no matter what. It's a hobby!!

c0astie31

lou at LAL CUSTOMS is one of the best in the business, his bodies are near perfect. Around 1 month turn around and puts his heart and soul into each build. He helped me out on my broncoand forever grateful

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
lou at LAL CUSTOMS is one of the best in the business, his bodies are near perfect. Around 1 month turn around and puts his heart and soul into each build. He helped me out on my broncoand forever grateful

I've heard nothing bad about his tubs. Lou is a Bronco guy and a hard worker. I'd definitely consider his tubs if you want steel.

OP
OP
CartF1Fan

CartF1Fan

Loc.
Cary
I have been to Norfolk however and to me, what Bronco Connection is doing looks a lot more repeatable and robust than the originals. They are advertising the full body assembly as "ready to prep for paint". $14,500

If the goal is a concours restoration then you would be starting with something more preserved than most.

What am I missing?

Mike, You are missing the same thing I am I guess. I seems to me that a steel replacement tub would be better than anything existing I could buy. Looking around I'd pay around 7-9000 for a repairable Bronco and then have to pay for new parts/repairs/acid dip on that. Love to hear more about for visit to Bronco Connection.

I do get the appeal of a fiberglass tub but my main concern on that is fit & finish, strength, and resale. If I'm going to put $30k into this to bring it back, I'd like to have as much value in it as possible.

Still kicking myself for not road tripping down to FLA to pick up a CraigsList body I saw earlier this year for 3K :-[

OP
OP
CartF1Fan

CartF1Fan

Loc.
Cary
I've heard nothing bad about his tubs. Lou is a Bronco guy and a hard worker. I'd definitely consider his tubs if you want steel.

I took a look at his site and the photos look good. Anyone have any idea on how much a body from him would run? Ballpark.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco connection, iirc, did some used tubs last year at around 7K or so. I think it was a combination of used tub repaired with new parts. I would give them a call and see.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
There is a restoration guy in or around Chicago. PM Tom Carper on here and he can get you in touch. I want to say his name is Matt or Chris.

Mikesimp70

If you have years and skills, repairing an original tub is the way to go to save $. If not, and you can afford it, $14,500 is a steal. If I added up my time at even $25/hr cub rate, I'll be well over that with body work and paint. !

Agree, and since I dont have years or skills in bodywork, Seems like a no brainer if the full body is as advertised “ready for paint prep”

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I took a look at his site and the photos look good. Anyone have any idea on how much a body from him would run? Ballpark.

He'll build your tub anyway you want it....which will affect the cost but I want to say he's reasonable in the 8-9k range .... give him a call... I elieve he can ship or you pick it up to save even more