• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear tire carrier

billtammy

not ranting, just wondering I bought the tbp rear carrier # 5603 in 2014 in those 3 years one was explorer swap trans diffs etc. so truck wasn't used at all. until last year and 2 trips had 33s now 35s and a total of less than 1k miles and the solid bar not the pivot has broken above the weld. called tbp and standard answer is "ONE YEAR WARRANTY" I think protofab makes them should I call them? should I eat it and fix myself? just wondering what would u do?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
well most of the time the welds break because the spindle never gets greased and rusts. Then you grab the tire swing and with all that leverage you open the swing and pop something eventually.

Call protofab.....but probably in the long run youll end up cleaning up the area and burning it back in yourself. Chalk it up to good times in bronco world

patl

Loc.
Maryville, Tn.
Had the same thing happen to a spindle on my '76. When I started searching for a new set up to rebuild the carrier I was informed by one of the parts suppliers that welding a spindle with that much heat in one spot heat shocks it and makes it brittle at that point. Their solution was to use a sleeve which fit the spindle on the bottom. The sleeve was then welded to the bumper and the spindle to the sleeve with plug welds. Never had another issue after that with 36" TSL's.
On my 4 door I have the double shear setup from Competition 4x4 which is super beefy. 3 years with 37" tires and no problems.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Well, I actually added this to my cart today. I have 33s on 15x8 rims. I look at (some of) the stuff I'm buying as replacement parts for my 47 year old bronco and in large part, it will be lucky to last 5 years. Reweld and move on.

OP
OP
B

billtammy

too be clear the pivot did not break the stationary tube did and too be fair after this post TBP called to say if I foot the shipping they would weld it for me. not sure if it's coincidence or not but still nice. I will weld it myself and add some gussets

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Crappy latches will wipe out a spindle too. If you don't have support or there is too much clearance on the latch end, you'll kill one too. Full size tires, gas cans, and coolers aren't light.

well most of the time the welds break because the spindle never gets greased and rusts. Then you grab the tire swing and with all that leverage you open the swing and pop something eventually.

Call protofab.....but probably in the long run youll end up cleaning up the area and burning it back in yourself. Chalk it up to good times in bronco world