• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Last big thing on the List !!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exhaust is last, a mistake I did to myself. I thought it would be simpler while body was off to have muffler guy run the exhaust. Looks great but it turns out the super job he did, is now making me work about three days of worth of wrapping exhaust because it's too close to stuff. And I'm doing it on my back, well done not making that mistake.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dirt, you must be as old as I am, sure sound like it.
Brent

Hah! Probably. But don't get me started... Oh wait, you just did!

The strange thing is that I've seen those changes even right here in what many would have considered to have been "the big city" already. But until recently it still had some of the small town feel. Now, not so much.
Even here, while the cities covered a lot of land and have a lot of people, there used to be a TON of space between us.
My own rope swing (that brought back memories Galt!) is now an Expressway that leads right to Levi Stadium for instance. The great old narrow 2-lane concrete and wrought-iron bridge that used to cross the creek (dated 1931 if I remember) is now a six lane culvert cover. Giving no indication that it used to be a bridge over a creek.

When I first started commuting down the unfinished expressway I'd scare up pheasant out of the flower and fruit fields of Sunnyvale. And right after getting buzzed by said pheasant on my motorcycle, I'd pass more green houses and flower fields than you could shake a stick at, then ride past United Technology's jet engine testing facility! After all, you can test jets and rockets when there aren't any people nearby. Of course, that disappeared by the late-seventies.
Funny about change. It happens over and over again. Just down the street from where the pheasant once flew and many electronic and small business buildings cropped up, a big developer just bought the entire block of land out from under everybody and about 100 small businesses (including the sheet metal shop of one of our Bronco brothers) just got bulldozed into another big field. Lots of open space right now, but only to make way for a massive multi-use retail/residential mega-plex.
Now THAT's a big field right there!

Before it was Silicon Valley, we were known the world over as The Valley of Heart's Delight for all the fruit and vegetables we shipped. Every big name food company you could think of had packing plants right here.
In fact, just a few feet down the road from where the old Apple headquarters was (corner of De Anza (used to be called Saratoga-Sunnyvale road) and Stevens Creek) was a big canning plant that had elevators and beltways across the road for loading product into different buildings and transport vehicles. I don't think it was Dole, but can't remember now who it was. But they were working still even as the big developments were taking shape around them. Even as "that other Apple" was taking their turn, the plant was still in use. Now it's all mini strip malls all along the road.
Sunnyvale was all about Olsen Cherry Farms.
I could walk or ride my bike when I was 8 or 9 down to Winchester Blvd (yes, named after that Winchester) and buy a grocery bag full of dried California apricots (mmm...) for about .75 cents that must've weighed 5 lbs!

I bet many of the houses behind those malls near Apple cost $10,000 and held the food packing workers. That was before they became mere $1.5 million "fixer uppers" or "tear downs" that is.
Another Bronco brother lives on a street filled with neat little bungalows of different descriptions that were populated by Westinghouse workers. That was one of the big "high tech" employers in the area along with Moffet Field and Lockheed. Practically the only thing left of Fairchild Semiconductor now is the street named after them.
The big IBM plant in south San Jose that kept a lot of families in moccasins is now apartments and condos.
The old General Electric plant is now a shopping center called, oddly enough "The Plant" that has all the usual suspects, except for any hint of the old guard.

Dirt bike havens are now townhomes. Four wheel drive trails are someone's back yard and off limits. Railroad tracks you could ride for days on are now going nowhere, covered up, or are so blocked off you couldn't get a bike near 'em anyway even if you could find them!
People didn't glance twice at rifles in a pickup rear window. Now they call in the troops and close down the city!%)

And new drivers learning to drift a car in a bare field sure beat the heck out of figuring it all out in an emergency on the street!;D
Now we have sideshows...:cry:

So the cycle continues... Interesting to see where it all goes and if anyone figures out what's wrong before it's too late. Again...
Now all you hear on the news is that "we need at least 500,000 more homes so that prices will come down) which I've been hearing since the sixties in CA.
They never learn that you don't build yourself out of crowded highways or high-priced homes. Because you're always behind the curve.
Doing so the normal way just makes more crowded highway lanes and more expensive houses available.
Always has, around here at least.

Paul

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
exhaust pics, someone asked to see them. This is a single exhaust around ZF trans. They used my previous muffler which explains the minor rust.

20171122_084741_1512616489880_resized.jpg

20171122_084812_1512616486326_resized.jpg

20171122_084835_1512616474132_resized.jpg

20171122_084859_1512616481710_resized.jpg

20171122_084932_1512616477607_resized.jpg