• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Prepping transfer case for paint

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
I have removed my tranny/transfer case to reseal and cleanup both units. The transfer case is separated. Have a blaster and pressure washer and deciding which way to go for cleanup and paint prep.
Question 1 - If pressure washing how do I keep water out and if blasting, how to keep sand away from the internals???
Question 2 - replace gaskets and seals before or after cleaning?

As always,your experienced input is greatly appreciated!

BoulderMike22

I️ used a wire wheel and it worked well if you are concerned about it. Sounds as though you aren’t rebuilding it, just resealing so you may consider the wire wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i wash....blast....dissamble.....clean out lube.....simi reassemble....paint....then rebuild. There is a hole someware in the dana 20...up top where the adapter bolts too it i think where water and sand could get in....and oil can get out. So find that 3/8" hole and plug it first.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The transfer case was left unpainted by the factory so I clear coated it after a clean up with a wire wheel. Now it looks like it did when I bought it new.

KeithKinPhx

Anyone know of a good rebuild video or guide? Mine is original and now sitting on the garage floor awaiting my undivided attention.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I rebuilt mine about a month ago and used this site and the Novac guide and it went pretty well after I figured out my case was a 72 with both the T and J shift parts in it. Google dana 20 rebuild and the Novac site comes up. Got my kit from JB Fab on this site and it was a good one. Good luck. Ken

Attachments

• trancase4.jpg
    trancase4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 111

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I rebuilt mine about a month ago and used this site and the Novac guide and it went pretty well after I figured out my case was a 72 with both the T and J shift parts in it. Google dana 20 rebuild and the Novac site comes up. Got my kit from JB Fab on this site and it was a good one. Good luck. Ken

What paint did you use?
That looks really good.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Thanks. I used POR15 cast iron gray. It is in an aerosol can and really covers nice. When I disassembled it I washed it in a parts washer then used a degreaser cleaner then sprayed it. That paint is some good stuff. Used it on the 4x4x2 steering box as well. Ken

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Get a flat piece of steel.
Drill holes matching the bolt pattern on the yoke on one end of the steel.
Bolt the flat steel to the yoke.
Hold or brace the steel for leverage while you remove the yoke with an impact wrench.

No wrench marks on your yoke.

You now have a piece of steel for other projects.