• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vibration - driveshaft discovery(s)

Lawndart

Loc.
Noticed a slight vibration the other day; almost felt like a slight engine miss.
Time to park anyway as a dusting of snow was forecasted, meaning the salt life in the midwest.
I had some normal maintenance items to tend to, including wires, plugs etc. I thought that may resolve the issue. Nope.
After further investigation, I notice this...
33521691926_6a02452ea5_c_d.jpg

This is the front of the rear driveshaft. Is there something hinky going on here?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Your losing needle bearings.

You may have caught that right before the major failure event...

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
Yep. Don't like the thought of major front ujoint failure.
But there is something else odd (if I read manuals properly) although I have run it as purchased for 30k miles (with normal greasing).

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I might be crazy but if that is the front of the drive shaft at the transfer case the drive shaft looks backwards to me. Is the double joint on the rear end?

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
I might be crazy but if that is the front of the drive shaft at the transfer case the drive shaft looks backwards to me. Is the double joint on the rear end?

When I first realized, I thought the same. But...

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
I think I've found your problem.
Someone thought they could eliminate the double cardan joint.

Well, they did it!
However, this was/is a smoooth ride. That is why I noticed the vibration early on.
So, do I order me up a Woods rear??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is a U-joint yoke, not a CV yoke. The end of the yoke is squared off and the strap goes over the end of the cap. A CV yoke is rounded at the end of the cap and the bolt holes are more lined up with the bearings (and easier to distort the caps causing rapid needle bearing failure)

Needle bearing failure not related to contamination/running dry is generally overtightening of the U-bolts. Or a stretched/distorted saddle for the cap is next. The press fit into the shaft, those are the ones that live longest. Evenly supported.

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
That is a U-joint yoke, not a CV yoke. The end of the yoke is squared off and the strap goes over the end of the cap. A CV yoke is rounded at the end of the cap and the bolt holes are more lined up with the bearings (and easier to distort the caps causing rapid needle bearing failure)

Are you saying the PO also changed the output yoke on the xfer case??

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
Gods damn.... POs...
And, I removed a suspension lift (2ish) and returned to OEM height.
What were they thinking?

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I have somewhere, once again somewhere a stock spicer yoke. I can look around to see if it can be found tomorrow if you like. Cover the ride and it's yours.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I always just snug my bolts up not to tight.
Supposed to be about 15 ft.lb. Torque I believe but I havent went by that in some time.

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
Update -
Thanks everyone!
Thanks Broncobowsher for pointing out the yoke.
Thanks NC-Fordguy for the kind offer.

I pulled the d-shaft and replaced the u-joint. Installed. Runs nice and smooth again.
I did a visual on the particulars; seems all was intentional. The rear yoke is a spicer type and the rear is a spicer slip shaft. The front is a spicer double cardon shaft.

Current plans are to convert the rear back to a double cardon sometime in the nearish future.

Tailwinds

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
makes a world of difference don't it.. Glad to hear it