• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

poll for motor

daves bronco

Loc.
Bonney lake WA
so im still in the body work stage but I am having trouble deciding which motor to put in. please help me with your pro and cons. The two i am going between is a new 302 coyote motor and a 4bt i know they are two opposite ends. I am going for a resto mod look with 90 to 95 percent road driving.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
4bt would be an easier swap. I'm a diesel guy, but I would absolutely get tired of listening to that thing going down the road.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Are you just going for the WOW/COOL factor or trying to hit a target of HP or torque?

On the Coyote, have you looked at the HP and Torque numbers? More specifically where those numbers are reached? HP maxes out near 6500RPM and torque at 4200ish. typically not where a Bronco can use it.

I don't know anything about the 4bt but I would guess he torque is lower in the RPM bad and better for a Bronco.

X 10 on the 351W. Easy to install and you can get the torque where you need it. Cost is much lower as well.

Tim

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
x100 on a 351 roller, by far the best bang for your buck.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The teenager in me says Coyote. The farmer rancher side says 4BT. The adult side says 351W.

But my secret fantasy build would have a John Deere diesel;) Probably my favorite build of all time

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/project-cars-update/38823-68-bronco-john-deere-theme

Wow mod/fab city! Those are heavy and tall engines too. IIRC the original turbo sits way up on top of the engine head, that would have looked cool too sticking up thru the hood lol.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The pre-1998 4BT engines have eight valves and received power ratings of 105hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. Post 1998 units (known as the 4BTA) went to a 16-valve configuration. With this valvetrain adjustment came a base horsepower bump to 170 and a more impressive 420lb-ft of torque. Depending on the application, the power figures vary.

Good read here on the good and the bad of the 4bt
http://www.drivingline.com/articles/39l-cummins-engine-4bt-diesel-pros-cons/

If I had to choose between the two the OP listed, I would go with the 4bta 170hp/420lb-ft....bout the same or just under the torque my 351W puts out per DTD

Tim

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
COYOTE is way cool....gotta side with the others though as far as installing, have roller 351's in both my trucks, never have muttered "wish I had a 302 still"

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think it's funny that all allegiance for using only Ford engines in Ford vehicles goes right out the window when you bring up diesel engines.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I think it's funny that all allegiance for using only Ford engines in Ford vehicles goes right out the window when you bring up diesel engines.

I'm just glad the 351W suggestion didn't bother you this time.:p

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
If those are your 2 choices I'd say the Coyote. I'm putting in a Isuzu 4bd1t in my Bronco so from my experience I say if you want to be able to drive it in the next 5 years the Coyote would be easier to make happen but I will say I think the 4bt would be less costly.(probably but not guaranteed) Unless you can come across a wrecked vehicle with a Coyote engine it maybe cheaper that way.

If you want a smooth running engine do not even consider the 4bt. They make a lot of noise.