• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 4BD1T Diesel & NV4500 conversion on 33's

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Well here it goes. I've got all my main pieces for my build.

1969 Ford Bronco
4bd1t (4 cyl. diesel)
93 NV4500
Box4rocks/NP205
Dana 44 front 3.54 gears
Box4rocks (2.7:1 low range before the transfercase)
NP205 transfercase
Bf Goodrich Rugged Terrains (33's on 17" steel wheels)

The plan is to make this my daily driver so there will be a lot of rust prevention. Still capable of going off road but not a dedicated wheeler. I plan converting the rear 4 link and coils springs. I'm extending the wheelbase a little to help with driveline angles. I plan to make my own adapter so I can rotate the transfer case a little. I got the engine from a 87 street sweeper. Done a lot of Craigslist hunting to get all the parts for months. Wanting to exchange my hood for a stock one, just not a fan of cowl hoods I guess. Here's some pics.

The place I found it is the first pic

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 3 (2).JPG
    3 (2).JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Next up was getting the trans and transfer case out. Took out both gas tanks after that then the rear axle and leaf springs with the mounts. Plasma cutter is the preferred method I like. Going to have a lot of rust to fix underneath the truck. Sucks but what do you expect for a 44 year old truck in the Midwest.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

vesparex

Nice start Brad! Looking forward to feedback on that 4bd1t!!!

Duane

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Looks like an awesome project. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Nice start Brad! Looking forward to feedback on that 4bd1t!!!

Duane

Can't wait to see another diesel build! Thanks for posting up!

Hopefully you guys wont have to wait too long. Im wanting this to be all put together by spring then tear it all down for paint in the spring. My last project I think I kinda rushed a little. Didn't have the little things figured out until I put it together after paint. This Project I am going to make sure I have it all figured out (running&driving) before paint so I don't change anything afterwards. I plan on this being my daily driver and plan on going on a lot road trips with it. ;D It's gonna be fun!

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Got the frame rails cleaned up today after work. All the spring mounts,bump stops and shock mounts ground down. More holes to fix, that sucks. It will all be worth it in the end though...I think.

The pile of crap I ground off tonight.

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Got my wheels and some parts for my rear bumper. Which included the spare tire hingeqnd pull pin to keep the spare latched. I actually wanted to get started on the rear 4 link this weekend but the Johnny joints I ordered wont be here until Monday. Oh we'll it's not like I don't have plenty of other things to do. Since I had my bumper parts I worked on it.

33" BFG rugged terrains on pro comp "D" window steelies.

Bumper parts.

Notched the left side to pull the spare in as far as I can.

Attachments

• 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

nick1975bronco

keep us updated im thinking of swaping my 351m for a 6bt cummins in my 77 crew cab f250 but i want a 12 valve and a nv4500. i like driving my truck just dont like milage and tow ability with the 351m no power or torque. let me know how she goes.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. Sorry I just wrote a page of 4bt stuff . But it got lost with one wrong button.
.. Need any thought . Ask.
. I like my 4BT . It's dependable other than dirty fuel filters from my bad fuel tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I worked on the rear bumper today because I didn't get my Johnny joints this weekend. Trying to get this rear bumper done in the meantime.

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Do you have what it takes to put the NV4500 in your Bronco.
I've got it all gathered up To put the 4500 in mine But I'm not going to do it. Just to expensive. So I'm conceding sell all my stuff.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Do you have what it takes to put the NV4500 in your Bronco.
I've got it all gathered up To put the 4500 in mine But I'm not going to do it. Just to expensive. So I'm conceding sell all my stuff.

Yeah I will definitely be running the NV4500 for sure. I got real lucky. Bought it for $650 and came with bellbousing, slave and master cylinder. I've been real lucky with this project really except the bronco condition. I think I should got a title from a junk one and manned up and bought the tub kit and assembled it myself. Oh well Ill make it work.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Got back to work on this. Been working 10 hours everyday but still feel like I made good progress. Started out getting the spare tire swing welded in. Then I tapered the ends of the bumper. The middle is 5.5" tall and the ends are 4" high. I think it looks really good. Capped the ends and put the hitch in. Hitched is recessed about as much as I could. I'm gonna have to put the hitch pin in from underneath but that's ok.

Got some parts also, Johnny joints for the rear suspension and a griffin 3 core radiator with electric fan and relay kit. Want to get a intercooler but still trying to figure what I want.

Attachments

• 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Did not get much done on the bronco this weekend but I did get to do some wheeling Saturday. Pretty fun time. Looked into buying a new lift gate and was kinda amazed how much they were. Started looking for some used ones and found a whole top for $300. Had to drive 2 hours to get it but it was worth it. It's in excellent condition and is unlike any top I've ever seen. It's got a sunroof. Still trying to get somebody to trade me my cowl hood for a stock hood but I've had a lot of interest so I think it will eventually happen. This week should be pretty productive week but we'll see.

Attachments

• 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

nutter3

Looking good. I want to do a 4bt some day, If I ever find a decent one for sale in AK.
That looks like the same sunroof some PO put in my 68 half cab. It always leaked. Finaly took it apart and sealed it up good, but one day I will take it out and patch the hole.