• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help with door fitment

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
So I hung my doors today and ran into a problem. Driver side door is the biggest problem. I think my door post is pushed in but the measurement is right from what I've read. From top of door post measuring across the bronco its 55 3/4" and at the bottom its 57". Does this seem right? If I put a straight edge across the door and the upper quarter panel there is a gap of about a 1/4" right at the rear door post. The hinge at the front is slid as far in as it will go and the back post still seems to be pushed in. So it seems that the post at the top needs pulled out but the measurements I found said 55 1/2" is the correct measurement.. The bottom of the door looks pretty good. let me know if im not explaining this well. something has hit the quarter panel right behind the door so maybe its pushed in?

Attachments

• IMG_6158.JPG
    IMG_6158.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_6159.JPG
    IMG_6159.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 187

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
So I hung my doors today and ran into a problem. Driver side door is the biggest problem. I think my door post is pushed in but the measurement is right from what I've read. From top of door post measuring across the bronco its 55 3/4" and at the bottom its 57". Does this seem right? If I put a straight edge across the door and the upper quarter panel there is a gap of about a 1/4" right at the rear door post. The hinge at the front is slid as far in as it will go and the back post still seems to be pushed in. So it seems that the post at the top needs pulled out but the measurements I found said 55 1/2" is the correct measurement.. The bottom of the door looks pretty good. let me know if im not explaining this well. something has hit the quarter panel right behind the door so maybe its pushed in?

Lining up an old Bronco door to perfection is pretty much an art form. When I look at many bone stock never wrecked Broncos I would have to tell you the doors line up perfect some of the time. We use shims and just washers as shims at the hinges to get as close as possible.

Start with the gaps, front, back and lower. Once you are happy with the gaps you can tackle any section sticking in or out. I like to line things up without the strikers installed first. Good luck with the project!

Jim

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
Move your strike plate

AZ73 it's not the striker post. The door and quarter line up almost perfect the gaps not to bad I think with a shim or so it will be where I want it. The problem is that it bows in right at that spot. The quarter panel and the door. I'm not sure if the back door post is moved in or the front door post has moved out the hing is as far in as possible but if you go to the back of the bronco and look down the side mainly at the top of the door and quarter it really bows in. So I'm not sure if the back post is moved in or the front post has moved our. Any measurements from top of front post to the other post would help me determine why I have a bow where the back of the door and the quarter meet. Thanks

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
Lining up an old Bronco door to perfection is pretty much an art form. When I look at many bone stock never wrecked Broncos I would have to tell you the doors line up perfect some of the time. We use shims and just washers as shims at the hinges to get as close as possible.

Start with the gaps, front, back and lower. Once you are happy with the gaps you can tackle any section sticking in or out. I like to line things up without the strikers installed first. Good luck with the project!

Jim
Thanks for the advice and I will try that. I actually have your guys stainless door hinges and shims. The problem is not my gaps right now it more of a bow between rocker panel and rear of the door. I'm not sure if the rear post has moved in a bit or not. If I make the door run true with the fender no striker installed the door hangs out about a 1/4" past the quarter panel. This thing was a mess when I bought it so no real measurement to take befor disassembly. I have replaced rear floor brace new bed pan and all wheel well extensions as well as driver side rocker. I think either the rear door post moved in. The quarter panel has a dent from something hitting it so maybe that moved it in? Or the front post has moved out when I put new inner rocker panel on. Do you have any measurements from top of inner rocker to the other inner rocker and also the bottom? I also have new 1" body mounts on as well. Thanks for any help you can provide

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The rear striker post and latch can be adjusted and once the door is latched its locked in and your stuck with its location. I always adjust the rear striker and post first so when the door is latched the door top is right in level with the top of the bed sill and where the post is mid way down the door it is at the same surface level. now when adjusting the door it pivots on the post but the latch location doesn't change. it either swings the door around the post making the top or bottom of the door move in and out. That way you are now only dealing with hinge adjustment and for and aft location of the front of the door.

One thing to be critical of, is the rear quarter square in alignment to the floor? sides not bowed in or out. Then check that the top of the lower rocker panel is square to the rear fender line and the rear door post panel. if the bottom and back of the door opening isn't square your going to have a tough time fitting any door. You will have to find the problem why the door opening isn't square to the quarter panel and fix that first.

Bo Boulware

I just went through the same thing. I worked on it for several weeks before I feel I'm at least close. I also had replaced rockers both front and rear post and door coverings. New stock body mounts. I ended up putting washers under the mount under drivers seat about 1/4" thick, then shimming bottom hinge out with a 1/16 shim. My lines aren't perfect but at least the door isn't sticking out at bottom and shuts without slamming it. I to think I have something miss aliened. But its been a teo year project and I'm on the road. Good luck

jagbucket

how straight is the rear quarter it should be straight or close from the tail to the door if bowed out at the wheel arch you will never get the bow out at the rear door. once that is straight the problem at the door will look much better as most doors have a small bow front to back maybe to add strength by tension.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I just went through the same thing. I worked on it for several weeks before I feel I'm at least close. I also had replaced rockers both front and rear post and door coverings. New stock body mounts. I ended up putting washers under the mount under drivers seat about 1/4" thick, then shimming bottom hinge out with a 1/16 shim. My lines aren't perfect but at least the door isn't sticking out at bottom and shuts without slamming it. I to think I have something miss aliened. But its been a teo year project and I'm on the road. Good luck

^^^^^ Yep, me too, I gotta say tho, getting EB doors to line up is aBitch! Mine are close but could be better. Its a major headache when you have to work underneath your perfectly installed carpet and padding to put in shims.;)

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
from your pic and what you are describing, it would appear that the quarter and door make a v shape towards the inside? if so, loosen up the top bolts on top of the quarter on that side only. then either with your hands and body weight pull the top of the quarter panel out a bit and tighten down the front top bolt only. check to see if the v gap has closed. repeat until done. also you will probably have to readjust the striker post so may as well remove it before hand and get the panels lined up and then adjust the post so the door is flush with the quarter

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
from your pic and what you are describing, it would appear that the quarter and door make a v shape towards the inside? if so, loosen up the top bolts on top of the quarter on that side only. then either with your hands and body weight pull the top of the quarter panel out a bit and tighten down the front top bolt only. check to see if the v gap has closed. repeat until done. also you will probably have to readjust the striker post so may as well remove it before hand and get the panels lined up and then adjust the post so the door is flush with the quarter

Crush. That's exactly what I have going on. I found measurements on here of 55 1/2" from instide rear post to the other side post I'm right at 55 1/2 but I do realize none of these are the same. My gaps look pretty good they need some more tweaking but the V from the rear post is what concerned me. I think I'll put a cargo strab on it and put some pressure on it to see if I can get it to move out a bit.

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
how straight is the rear quarter it should be straight or close from the tail to the door if bowed out at the wheel arch you will never get the bow out at the rear door. once that is straight the problem at the door will look much better as most doors have a small bow front to back maybe to add strength by tension.

Every panel on my rig seems to rubbed a tree here and there. I have dents in every panel! What would you measure off of to see if the panel is actually not running true. I was thinking of maybe a string from rear of quarter panel to the front of the door.