• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

liftgate latches

tdeming

Loc.
Livonia
I'm a newby to this forum, I just bought a 67 bronco explorer. I searched the forum but could not find an answer to my problem. I need to replace the liftgate latches, but the access holes are smaller than the latch mechanism. How do you get them out? The manual just says take out the old and put in the new.

EBGeek

Nice memory there, Slowleak. TDeming, its really just a matter of zizwheeling the old pins (both of them) down to make them short enough to hit with a punch and knock them out. Once they're out, the whole assembly will fall apart letting you get it out the access hole.

Hella.Stoked

Loc.
Reno
Anybody have a picture of the latch with the pins in place? I took mine apart 3 years ago, need to put them back together and have 4 pins, but looking at the latch there is only one hole to put a pin in...where did I get the extra pin from?? I always kick myself for nit taking pictures of everything....

EBGeek

Hey Hella.Stoked. Check out the link above from Slowleak and there's a pdf posted by Broncodriver on 9/22/16 with diagram. The short of it is there is a pin where the pushrod attaches, the second one goes behind the spring but it can take a little work to get it all lined up.

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Where are you guys finding replacement parts for these? I've seen the Tom's site with full used latches (depending on stock). I just need the plates that sit between the bracket and the spring.

chuckyb

Contributor
I have also looked around and believe it's used only on the 66-68 liftgate latch pieces.

TTownEP

I didn't find very many good pictures on how these things are assembled. I finally got them back together with a coat of graphite and new roll pins. I think I was missing a pin and the previous owner had put the handle on upside-down so it interfered with the tailgate when the latch was down. Anyway, here are some pictures of the units assembled, and how to get them into the access holes.

Installed - you can start the removal by tapping out the inner-most roll pin. This unlocks the pushrod. Once it's out you can remove the spring and latch assembly from the carrier.

h9mlfOu.jpg

fMYyiM9.jpg

Here's the assembly:

A3iilvu.jpg

Then you can unscrew the carrier and wiggle it into place to remove it

QZ8VVsp.jpg

Here's the sequence to pull it out; reverse to install.

l9QFNBg.jpg

aB0Wvdt.jpg

NpdPK7l.jpg

Here's the cam and latch in the middle.

CdY7YLK.jpg

Line it up like this to get the handle straight and the pushrods in the right place for when you assemble it. The handle points to the passenger side when it goes in the truck.

I0MSsKU.jpg

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This link is broken, is there another link to this video somewhere?
Sorry. It says it went private. And it was so long ago I don't recall where I originally saw it. I thought it was on one of the vendor's sites. I checked my pictures and I don't have a good shot of it when I put mine together.

Last edited: