• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 Bronco Front Disc Conversion Using Jeep 1979 J10

bradform

Quick question. I'm looking to do the front drum to disc upgrade on my 74 EB and have found a full Dana 44 out of a 1979 Jeep J10. I can't find any info saying parts from a 1979 J10 are compatible like the earlier 1970-1976 Dana 44's out of Chevy and Jeep donors. Any advice on the 1979 compatibility would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bradform

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not saying it can't be made to work, but in ten years here I've never heard of that as a "thing".

OP
OP
B

bradform

73azbronco. Thanks for the quick response. To be clear, I'm just looking to see if the spindles, caliper bracket, caliper, etc. from the 79 J10 will work on the disc conversion. I've found info saying the 70-76 Jeep Wagoneer is compatible, but not much on the 79 J10.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
A J10 should be a GM brake setup but they are 6 lug. I am not sure if regular chevy or ford hubs and rotors are compatible to get a 5 lug pattern.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
How cheap is the front axle? I just went and looked at the '84 J10 sitting in my yard and other than the 6 lug pattern it looks like the typical GM swap parts. If the axle is cheap or free it may be worth a shot.

OP
OP
B

bradform

He's asking 200 for it. From what I understand I'd need 78-79 Bronco hubs and rotors for the conversion anyway.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
He's asking 200 for it. From what I understand I'd need 78-79 Bronco hubs and rotors for the conversion anyway.

It might barely be worth doing if the parts were free.
For that much it would be about the same to get the 'knuckles out' from a '78-'79 Bronco or a '73-'79 F150 which would fit with a lot less trouble.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You'll be able to use the calipers and backing plates from it and that's about it. Technically the spindles could be used too with some machining but in my mind, it's not worth the trouble to do that - just buy the correct ones. If the axle has been sitting, the calipers will need to be rebuilt.

I don't think it's worth the trouble to scrounge the few bits you can use from it.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
B

bradform

That's exactly the input I needed guys. Looks like a few of the kits online are on sale now. Probably better off starting with new stuff as Todd suggests. I wonder if any of these vendors have Black Friday specials? Links provided below if anyone is interested.

Wildhorses

CJPoney

Tom's Bronco

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Reasonable enough. I actually prefer the Ford design anyway, but if you know what you have there should never be any issue as to what parts to order. You can even order by part number if you save them and keep them with the Bronco.
I don't really see an issue with the mixed parts as long as you know what you have.
It's a sure bet that the parts store helpers won't!;)

"Is that a full-size Bronco?"%)

Paul