• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco keys

rmk57

In 1967 Ford motor company changed over to a double cut key except the Bronco that still kept the single cut up until the 1977. Even when Ford went to a
column key in 1970 the Bronco still had the in dash ignition.
Not sure if this have ever been discussed, but I find it kind of odd and interesting why Ford through the years kept that old design.

Randy

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The same reason the Bronco has flat glass all around and didn't change body styles for 12 model years - all about saving $$$$.

I don't know about other models, but when the Mustang went to the double cut key in '67, there was a major re-design of the rest of the car. No such change with the Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even the trucks kept the dash mounted switch until '79, although by then they at least had gone to the double-cut key. Not sure when, but pickup trucks and utility vehicles traditionally got things at least a year or three after passenger cars got the changes.
Not so much anymore of course, but back then things were slow to change on trucks like ours. Even smog controls came in much later.

Been wanting to try different door lock mechanisms to see if I could swap over to a more modern key in both the doors, and matching for the ignition, but it's been low on my list for a long time.
I even have an eighties steering column I was going to work with, but now that I have one of our Direct Fit tilt columns waiting in the garage, it's become an even lower priority unfortunately.
I can see some benefits from the newer keys and would still like to play with it someday.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Henry Ford was tight with money.

Did you ever wonder why floorboards are called floorboards?
Henry Ford required his parts suppliers to ship parts in boxes made to exact sizes, then took the boxes apart and used the boards to make the floors of his cars.

If the boxes were the wrong size he would reject the shipment.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Remember according to road n track the early broncos were the hairy chested sports cars of the trucks ;)

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
One thing you are overlooking was the first gen was originally supposed to end in 72 with the new introduction of the full size which ended up happening in 78. The first gen was kept due to the fuel crisis and the call for more economy. The only changes that the first gen received were the minimal necessary to meet EPA guidelines for that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I drove UPS trucks built on '70-'79 vintage E350 chassis that used one sided keys and in dash ignition locks. So Broncos weren't alone.

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Not to hijack a post, but regarding Bronco Keys, I was trying to match up my door keys with my ignition key. After removing the ignition cylinder and then the ignition switch, I discovered the ignition wires (yellow and red/blue) both had been spliced badly by the PO. Both Yellow and Red/blue came loose. Got both soldered and re-installed the switch and key cylinder on the dash panel. Now the Bronco will not start. It seems there is no "pause/stop/detent" when you turn the key to START and ON from OFF. In both OFF and ACC you can feel the detent. Does anyone know if I stripped out the tumbler or the entire switch?? Any help, most appreciated. Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure on that one dprio. Probably does deserve it's own thread because it's potentially so technical though.
To my thinking, you can't lose those detents from anything to do with the cylinder because they're all in the switch itself. In theory at least.
Sorry I'm not at work though, since I have two ignition switch assemblies at my desk right now I could check! Oh well.
Those wires are both key though, as the Yellow is power in to the switch for everything, and the Blue w/red is for the ignition coil.
Does the starter crank at all? Or do you get nothing? If nothing, then the Yellow wire is still suspect.

Anyway, no problem with the hijack sometimes, but this one is far enough off of the "key" subject to deserve it's own I would think.

Good luck!

Paul