• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Motor Upgrade

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
71 BRNCO said:
Now that everyone has had this mod for awhile....is everything still working perfect and only one person has made a coment about it being loud. Anyone else noticed this. I am leaving at 12 to go and buy the parts.

so I just use a dremel to enlargen the hole and put the new motor and cage asembly into the heater dril the holes and screw it in. sound like the electrical setup is the same as stock. a few more thoughts please
kyle

Life is good! The wiring is the same. On my 66 I had to make a power lead to go from the spade connector (Motor side) to the round connector (Harness Side) and put a ground wire on the motor housing.

Make sure you only cut the hole big enough to fit the cage and still have material to screw the housing to and clearance inside for the cage to spin without hitting the housing.

I pulled the box, drilled out the rivots, and size my hole. I was able to check everything prior to the actual cutting.

Very easy mod!

Fathom

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
I did something similar to this, but I dont know if it works as good... here is what I did. I got the motor and cage out of a 1978 Merc. Zephyr and did what was talked about on here, works great compared to stock... and it was free... but now I am intrested in this mod, as it seems to be of wow perportion... will try it out asap!

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I did the upgrade a month ago. Everything is great!! Nice and warm, and lots of air movement. It is load on high but you don't need it on high for an extended period of time.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Wow, FYI I'm doing this upgrade in the next week or so.
I got my new heater core and seal kit from Jeff's today so I call Napa up and they want $48 for the motor and $25 for the cage. :eek:
For yucks I called Advanced Auto Parts and gave them the Napa part numbers which they crossed with the following happy results
Napa blower motor # 655-1039 = Advance Auto p/n: 35587 for $20
Napa squirrel cage # 655-1406 = Advance Auto p/n: 35602 for $14

That's less than half the moolah ($$) that napa wanted.

Last edited:

Kidney

If you are like me and have yet to do any upgrades to your wiring or charging system I would be cautious about leaving the motor on high for a long period of time mainly in slow go situations (especially with lights on) while it moves alot of nice warm air I think it also needs alot of power.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I have got my entire tub dismantled and removed, time for another upgrade! If I keep watching this list any longer, it will take me forever to get the EB back on the road, because Iwill keep "upgrading" it. ;)

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
cracker said:
I have got my entire tub dismantled and removed, time for another upgrade! If I keep watching this list any longer, it will take me forever to get the EB back on the road, because Iwill keep "upgrading" it. ;)

now u know what happened to me!! :p

Brewbro21

Hotwheels where are these other upgrades you were talking about? I couldn't access your link.

I can't wait to try this heater one out, I'm in the middle of doing the centech harness install so I'll let you know here in a week or two.

Kidney

Mark Troy said:
Kidney, what alternator are you running. Don't tell me it's the stock 60amp slug!
Go back to the parts store and get yourself a drop in 100 amp like mine. Cost $60.00 - You'll be able to run that heater motor on high with no problems.
check out this thread
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40332

Guilty as charged :( ......That is actually my next project. The weather has been pretty crappy so I havent had a chance to get around to it.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Kidney said:
Guilty as charged :( ......That is actually my next project. The weather has been pretty crappy so I havent had a chance to get around to it.
Hey kidney, its not even a project, you can do it during halftime of a football game.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Mark Troy said:
Napa blower motor # 455-1039 = Advance Auto p/n: 35587 for $20
Napa squirrel cage # 655-1406 = Advance Auto p/n: 35602 for $14

That's less than half the moolah ($$) that napa wanted.

Here are other motor part numbers:

Vendor...............Part #
ACI..................33892
Everco...............M892
Murray...............208971
4 Seasons............35587
Siemens..............PM102E (This is the Maker of the motor)
NAPA.................455-1039
Factory Air..........35587
Kragen...............35587
YJ replacement.......PM102E

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Brewbro21 said:
Hotwheels where are these other upgrades you were talking about? I couldn't access your link.

uh-oh! they went away?!

I'll do some micro tech articles and pass the to Jon (Admin) to publish shorty. Is that ok? or are you looking for something specific...PM me.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I finally did this upgrade last weekend. I no longer think about getting an aftermarket heater like the heatercraft. This is a wonderful upgrade. Thanks Hotwheels! Where'd you get the idea? Anyhoot I thought I'd add some more photos to this thread.
As you can see, I did a complete rebuild with new seals and heater core.
The wife is away on a trip so I can use the dining room for Man/Bronco purposes ;) BTW my motor was made in Canada and is not a Siemens brand, and a lot less expensive than Napa's Siemens unit.

Attachments

• heatmtr7.jpg
    heatmtr7.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,267
  • heatmtr6.jpg
    heatmtr6.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,143
  • heatmtr5.jpg
    heatmtr5.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,312
  • heatmtr4.jpg
    heatmtr4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,225
  • heatmtr3.jpg
    heatmtr3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,254
  • heatmtr2.jpg
    heatmtr2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,113
  • heatmtr1.jpg
    heatmtr1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,096
Last edited:

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
Mark Troy said:
I finally did this upgrade last weekend. I no longer think about getting an aftermarket heater like the heatercraft. This is a wonderful upgrade. Thanks Hotwheels! Where'd you get the idea? Anyhoot I thought I'd add some more photos to this thread.
As you can see, I did a complete rebuild with new seals and heater core.
The wife is away on a trip so I can use the dining room for Man/Bronco purposes ;) BTW my motor was made in Canada and is not a Siemens brand, and a lot less expensive than Napa's Siemens unit.

for the pic it looks like it spins backwards btu it could be me would that be a problem or is ti why it works so well ? thanks also does napa sell the new seals for the heater or is that a bronoco house thing. thanks

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
cbfomoco said:
for the pic it looks like it spins backwards btu it could be me would that be a problem or is ti why it works so well ? thanks also does napa sell the new seals for the heater or is that a bronoco house thing. thanks
Yeah I checked that also. The fins of the squirrel cage are directed the same as the original. I want to check the rotation of the original motor - the new one turns counterclockwise (looking at the motor shaft).
One thing that I did not try, and wish I did was to see if the original squirrel cage fits on the new motor. Dang it.

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
WOW!

You put Plastic & Paper down........Hmmmm

I'm sure this is her influence, while she even away!

Mark Troy said:
The wife is away on a trip so I can use the dining room for Man/Bronco purposes ;)

Thanks for the pics!

Fathom

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
Mark Troy said:
Kidney, what alternator are you running. Don't tell me it's the stock 60amp slug!
Go back to the parts store and get yourself a drop in 100 amp like mine. Cost $60.00 - You'll be able to run that heater motor on high with no problems.

i have the old 60 amp alt and i run the upgrade heater motor and halogen headlights. it was slowly dagging the battery down until i made sure i had a good ground between the bat and body and the engine and body. it works fine now. when i need to replace the alternator, i will certainly go for a bigger one.

if there is a reason i dont aways run the high setting, it because its so loud.