• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 weight

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Anybody know much a dry C4 transmission weighs? Just the transmission. No bellhousing, no torque converter, no adapter, no dipstick. Thanks!

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
There are the 2 different cases - pan fill and case fill.

Without specifying, I'm finding it's about 110lbs dry w/o torque converter here
I think that might be with the bell housing. I would guess those must weigh in the range of 15-20 lbs.

Just curious, why do you need such an exact weight, even no dipstick?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Probably closer to 65 lbs without adapter and bell.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The T -case and adapter is what makes it heavy (cast iron) I had a c4 out of a falcon w/ bell housing and no transfer case and adapter and just guessing id say 50lbs. def way lighter than a bag of cement which is 80 lbs

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I thought it seemed lighter than 100# too. Doing a quick search I kept seeing online weights over 100# where they actually weighed them. Around 80# sounds more like it but I would like to see someone actually weigh one. I just sold one a few months ago and it was pretty heavy by itself.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Think about packing and size though, UPS rips you up on box size no matter the weight.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Think about packing and size though, UPS rips you up on box size no matter the weight.

Yea, box size and weight too. This would have both going against it!

I have used Fastenal in the past, but heard they stopped shipping.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
having shipped that exact set up, 100#
be sure it's stable in the box so it won't tear it up and definitely can't leak. double bag it if it's not a fresh unit.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
having shipped that exact set up, 100#
be sure it's stable in the box so it won't tear it up and definitely can't leak. double bag it if it's not a fresh unit.

Thanks. Just to be safe I used 100# for the quote to account for the tranny plus the box, and packing materials. Runs about $105 thru UPS. Too bad it won't fit in a "if it fits it ships" thru USPS.