• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duffy's 77 Build Thread- Restomod, daily, re-uncut

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
A lot of us read it, but I know exactly where you are coming from. Just keep posting, the trend seems to be you will get more interaction once the tub is on the frame and it is rallying to a finish. I am hoping to set my tub before the end of the month with motor and exhaust complete giving me most of March to get it wired and interior... There is a lot to get done to make SC. Keep at it!

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am planning on having the motor, axles and exhaust done next week. Then hopefully re-wire the dash with it out. Then get the body back in a month.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cutting my harness was a hard decision, but it really made wiring the rear easy and came out super clean. I would suggest it to anyone doing a frame off. I cut it about 10" from the main branch so that the connection will be under the dash. Here is a picture of the weatherpack connectors I am using. I soldiered all the connections as well.

I staggered 2- 4 connectors so it can fit through the firewall.

Attachments

• IMG_5165.jpg
    IMG_5165.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 266
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Icon inspired grill insert is coming along. The fabricator is a friend and he isn't fast but he does amazing work. I love the look of stainless.

I still feel bad about the copy, I feel like a tracer over art.

Attachments

• IMG_5170.jpg
    IMG_5170.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_5171.jpg
    IMG_5171.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 291
  • FullSizeRender (20).jpg
    FullSizeRender (20).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 297

doghows72

Bronco Guru
That man has some skills. If you have ever tried this you know how difficult it is. Very nice work.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the axles back from being put back together and mounted the 285/70-17. Which I think are a little bit more narrow then the 285 AT2's I tried. I may even have extra room tucked in the rear. I could always run a 1/4-1/2 spacer if needed. I am super happy with everything. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Attachments

• IMG_5174.jpg
    IMG_5174.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_5173.jpg
    IMG_5173.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 261

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Your build makes me want to take my LUBR back apart and start over. Believe me, we may not comment all the time, but we're definitely watching. And maybe just a little jealous at your skills and pace!

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran into my first issue with narrowing that I didn't think of. Well two issues. Moving the axle back and in made my shocks too long by 3.5". Also I need to move the upper mount in an inch to clear everything and perhaps get resivoir fox shocks to help
With a little more clearance.

So cutting the shock mount and re -welding it an inch in is my best option?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 321
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got my transfer case skid plate done. Now off to powder. It started off as a bronco graveyard and I had holes punched so it won't hold dirt. It's very well made.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 180

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I would dimple them holes to put strength back in it. Even though you cut holes, it will retain its lateral strength but you have severely weakened its horizontal strength and ability to shed an impact. Dimpling will put a lot of that strength back in it plus it looks cool too!

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I had it dimpled, looks wise I don't like it and i wish I hadn't done it, but it's super super rigid.

Attachments

• IMG_5216.jpg
    IMG_5216.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 286

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I would have dimpled it the inter direction...still looks pretty sweet man. Powder coated I'm assuming?

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nick from NicksTrix (awesome guy) helped out with my shock mount, instead of cutting it and welding it, I just cut it off and tapped it. Works great, it's super tight but should clear everything but the upper spring clamp. I plan on cutting them down and re-drilling it. I also need to get 2.5- 3" shorter shocks, this is because of moving the axle back and inch and where I put the lower shock mount.

Attachments

• IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_5213.jpg
    IMG_5213.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 360
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would have dimpled it the inter direction...still looks pretty sweet man. Powder coated I'm assuming?

It would hold water and grime that way. Which I don't want. Yep I have this and a few steering parts to coat and then install this weekend is the plan.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going gm 1ton- dom tubing steering. The welds done by a friend are beautiful

Attachments

• IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5219.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 223
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So you have to ream out the pitman and the knuckles for the gm 1 ton steering stuff. I bought a very expensive reamer and I failed on the pitman. I spent over an hour and got no where. I decided to take it to a machine shop. They used my reamer and had it done in a few minutes. The guy said pressure, slow speed was the key. I then decided to try it on my knuckles, which are attached to the axle. I spent another hour with the reamer and didn't even get .25 in. I was using all my force and going slow and lots of oil. I finally gave up and got a 7/8 drill bit. Drilled them out and bought the ruffstuff drop in inserts, on their site they push the inserts. I'm guessing I'm not the first to have this issue. This was also awful. I spent around an hour on each knuckle drilling it out to 7/8. It grabbed all the time and isn't my best hole and isn't exactly 7/8.

So if you want to do this have the knuckles off
and learn from my frustration. Hopefully I didn't screw them up. I will hopefully get the inserts tomorrow and fingers crossed they are fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 200