• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ultimate Race Bronco Photo Thread

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
W69HV_HM004L-640.jpg

Very cool! I haven't seen the #313 paint job before! :D

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Very cool! I haven't seen the #313 paint job before! :D

I only have one other small shot with that color scheme - I would call those "Luben" colors. Andrew can probably chime in with more info. I'm guessing that's the last, or nearly last race for Rod in the truck.

Todd Z.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great pics! That 3 wheel motion photo is fantastic!

Yeah, no stripping to metal, blocksanding on this race truck...dont know if yours was done that way, but I always thought KbarS took extra care in their builds! :)

We still have the Luben paint scheme on part of our door inserts. I think it was raced maybe 2 to 3 races this way and one was a DNF for Fuentes/Wettgen in the 76 Mint... This shot must be before that race.... Pretty cool shot! Thank you very much for showing!
RRlubenpaint.jpg

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Yeah, no stripping to metal, blocksanding on this race truck...dont know if yours was done that way, but I always thought KbarS took extra care in their builds! :)

We still have that paint scheme on part of our door inserts...
RRlubenpaint.jpg

Well looky there! Black w/red stripe. :cool: Or is that blue w/orange? Under the white fiberglass on Thunder there is gray primer. I can't even find a speck of Blue. ?:? The cage however has a multitude of colors laid on top of each other.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well looky there! Black w/red stripe. :cool: Or is that blue w/orange? Under the white fiberglass on Thunder there is gray primer. I can't even find a speck of Blue. ?:? The cage however has a multitude of colors laid on top of each other.

Yeah, Unser Bronco sounds alot like your cage....every paint scheme, layer upon layer upon layer....and they are thick! I think the Luben colors were midnight Blue and some dark shade of orange or light red...

Luben, in case not all of you know, is who performed a tricky take over of Stroppe in '75-76. Got nearly all the trucks, etc., and apparently hired some of the drivers for a race or two, but not for long.

rhenrys68

My project racer

Here are a couple of shots of a Bronco I recently bought. I first saw this truck in 85 or 86 at Fabulous Fords and it was the only Bronco there for a coupe of years. I thought at the time it was the Bronco that all others measured up to(especially my piece of crap 1969).
I saw a photo of a Bronco in the desert on C.B. here several months ago and thought..... that looks like that old Yellow Bronco I love. Spent a day digging n the cedar chest for old pictures and sure enough it was it. Let me just say, the whole house knew I wanted the truck even in its forlorne state.
A month went by and a drive to Pheniox and its in my driveway. The best Bronco ever!!!! Well maybe it will take some time and no offense to all the other incredible Broncos here.
Any knowledge or pictures between 87 and 2009 of it are happily welcome.
Thanks to ToddZ. I have a early 90's picture.
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
yellow racebronco1.jpg
yellowracebronco.jpg
1990s?
yellowracebronco2.jpg

OP
OP
offroadaction

offroadaction

Loc.
Kamloops, BC
Great finds guys! Gud, I have not seen that one before.

A reader from my website wrote that following comment at http://offroadaction.ca/2009/11/29/classic-desert-race-bronco-restoration
I was taken back in memory when i came across this site.Do you have any published information about the Bill Stroppe Bronco that crashed in the baja 1000 I think in 1969 with a co driver named Steve Smith and the Drivers last name I believe was Rose.They were the first drivers ever to die in the Baja race.My 1/2 brother Steve was the son of Clay Smith who was the creater of Clay Smith Cams and died in the Indy race while working on a pit crew,If you see those wood pecker symbols with the cigar that was his logo.Just curios.

Can anyone help him out?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The 'Boss' book has a short bit about that incident in it. That's all I know about it. I wish we had a picture of that truck.

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gud Racing: Anybody know anything about this old race bronco?

Mar_25_7.jpg

You could ask Kurt Loftfield who is pictured.
I believe the story goes.....
Someone knew someone, who knew someone, who had this racing bronco in WI. Something about having the vintage one piece fiberglass body molds too.
I believe it was a MVB (Midwest Vintage Bronco) club meeting in which a group of club members went to view the racing Bronc- where those pictures were taken.

He can be contacted:
www.K1Fab.com
www.BroncoMods.com
Kurt@BroncoMods.com

Mono

Attachments

• Mar_25_7.jpg
    Mar_25_7.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 57

overeasy

Wow, this was some time ago.... maybe 10 years?
The owner was a friend of one of the club members and a special visit was arranged for club members to go see the truck. As I recall it was a miserably cold winter evening in Minnesota, and the guy lived out in the boonies west of Minneapolis.
Mono is right, the guy had a few sets of the one piece side panels that are on this truck and a few of the members actively tried to talk him out of them. No luck.
Not sure if he's even alive any more, he was an older gentleman when we were there.
I still have contact information for our former member (Rod) and will try to contact him to see if I can get any further details.

Kurt

overeasy

It was March 2000 when we were there. I have two other photos, but can't figure out how to upload them.

Kurt

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• Mar_25_6.JPG
    Mar_25_6.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Mar_25_8.JPG
    Mar_25_8.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 205

knack

Contributor
Any body know anything about this old race bronco?

Mar_25_7.jpg

mar00mtg8.jpg

mar00mtg12.jpg

mar00mtg11.jpg

I was looking for a place to post a couple old Mint 400 pictures I took and ran across this thread. I have a little bit of information. The shop is in Corcoran, MN. Back in the mid 70's it was owned by Dick Lewis. He and a couple partners built a number of race Broncos, with some support from Ford for a while. Some were raced nationally, Mint 400, etc. Before they got out of racing they got together with IH and raced Scouts for a while, just before the Scouts were discontinued.

If I remember correctly, the Bronco in the picture was owned and raced by one of the other partners. Small block Chevy in that one, I believe.

Most of the Bronco's that Dick raced used 300 sixes. He liked them better than the V8's for endurance races. They came up with all sorts of interesting carb setups. I remember seeing one with three side draft Webers, they even tried six Tillotsen HD pumper carbs on one truck.

They did beautiful fabrication work. Especially on the aluminum tubs.

I haven't seen Dick since the night these pictures were taken. At that time he was running a business called Midwest Transmission.

Dick gave me a lot of help with my Bronco when I was a kid. I hauled it from northern MN down to his shop (Endurance Automotive in Wayzata) a couple times to sort out problems. Really nice guy - hope he's still doing well.

Here's a few pictures I took at the Mint 400, probably in 1970 or 71. There was an underground nuclear test nearby that same week, if that helps date it. No idea who's trucks.
Check out the Condor Coach - what a rig! Not sure if the guy underneath is working on it or passed out. If this was taken in '71, Hunter S. Thompson was in town.

Attachments

• Mint 400_01.jpg
    Mint 400_01.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Mint 400_02.jpg
    Mint 400_02.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Mint 400_03.jpg
    Mint 400_03.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 175

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was looking for a place to post a couple old Mint 400 pictures I took and ran across this thread. I have a little bit of information. The shop is in Corcoran, MN. Back in the mid 70's it was owned by Dick Lewis. He and a couple partners built a number of race Broncos, with some support from Ford for a while. Some were raced nationally, Mint 400, etc. Before they got out of racing they got together with IH and raced Scouts for a while, just before the Scouts were discontinued.

If I remember correctly, the Bronco in the picture was owned and raced by one of the other partners. Small block Chevy in that one, I believe.

Most of the Bronco's that Dick raced used 300 sixes. He liked them better than the V8's for endurance races. They came up with all sorts of interesting carb setups. I remember seeing one with three side draft Webers, they even tried six Tillotsen HD pumper carbs on one truck.

They did beautiful fabrication work. Especially on the aluminum tubs.

I haven't seen Dick since the night these pictures were taken. At that time he was running a business called Midwest Transmission.

Dick gave me a lot of help with my Bronco when I was a kid. I hauled it from northern MN down to his shop (Endurance Automotive in Wayzata) a couple times to sort out problems. Really nice guy - hope he's still doing well.

Here's a few pictures I took at the Mint 400, probably in 1970 or 71. There was an underground nuclear test nearby that same week, if that helps date it. No idea who's trucks.
Check out the Condor Coach - what a rig! Not sure if the guy underneath is working on it or passed out. If this was taken in '71, Hunter S. Thompson was in town.

Great info! Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to get new background info on these old trucks.

Todd Z.