• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Back yard find! The HMS/Sealund race bronco

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
As of Saturday morning I am the very proud owner of the Holman, Moody, Stroppe, Hearst, Sealund, KbarS race bronco! Dang that is a mouth full! Some how I started off with a poem and ended up with the bronco in it? It happened so fast I can't even tell you how.

IMG00010-1.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Consider it a Public Congrats, No need to curse though, Geesh.. LOL ;)

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
The story on this old bronco is a long one. It'll take me a little time to figure out everything. Luckily, I am the 5th maybe 4th? owner I think. And know the last 2. Here are a couple of pix from the old days.

no298.jpg

scan0006.jpg

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Pretty Dang Sweet. I love the old racers and the stories behind them.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>>>>> I remember back in the mid 90's when scooter bought that bronco & the price paid back then........ I also remember him having a video of the truck while he was picking it up at the KbarS shop.........we kinda had a slight falling out during a snow ski trip right around that time , but I did take a lap around the neighborhood in this bronco one night shortly after it arrived at his house..... during the little adventure this bronco went sideways around a corner then we proceeded to "accidentally" drift sideways through someones yard..... scooter did do some actual racing in the bronco I heard through the grapevine....... I have talked to scooter a few times since then in a civil manner since we are little older & little more calm.......I have to give credit to scooter for introducing me to early broncos......I stopped by his house one night with some friends back around 1993ish & took a ride in his yellow bronco...... for some reason I never really noticed early broncos before that night ,but after jumping the railroad tracks with couple a feet of air I started paying attention to these little V8 machines & have owned my current 76 since 1996.......................

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
>>>>>>> I remember back in the mid 90's when scooter bought that bronco & the price paid back then........ I also remember him having a video of the truck while he was picking it up at the KbarS shop.........we kinda had a slight falling out during a snow ski trip right around that time , but I did take a lap around the neighborhood in this bronco one night shortly after it arrived at his house..... during the little adventure this bronco went sideways around a corner then we proceeded to "accidentally" drift sideways through someones yard..... scooter did do some actual racing in the bronco I heard through the grapevine....... I have talked to scooter a few times since then in a civil manner since we are little older & little more calm.......I have to give credit to scooter for introducing me to early broncos......I stopped by his house one night with some friends back around 1993ish & took a ride in his yellow bronco...... for some reason I never really noticed early broncos before that night ,but after jumping the railroad tracks with couple a feet of air I started paying attention to these little V8 machines & have owned my current 76 since 1996.......................

Scooter was a pretty cool dude for the brief time we chatted with him ;) Nice history there ;)

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru

That sounds about right for Scooter! We'll just say I didn't get the "deal" he got. But I am happy! ;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Cool. What are the details on the year, VIN and did it start out as a Stroppe or plain jane Bronco?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
As of Saturday morning I am the very proud owner of the Holman, Moody, Stroppe, Hearst, Sealund, KbarS race bronco! Dang that is a mouth full! Some how I started off with a poem and ended up with the bronco in it? It happened so fast I can't even tell you how.

IMG00010-1.jpg

Congratulations Ed!!! Woohoo.....another old one rescued...

Looking forward to all the stories.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
It is a 66 U13 that went straight to Holman, Moody and Stroppe from Ford. Here it is on the cover of their catalog with Bill Stroppe standing next to it.

SCAN0429-1.jpg

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
It is a 66 U13 that went straight to Holman, Moody and Stroppe from Ford. Here it is on the cover of their catalog with Bill Stroppe standing next to it.

SCAN0429-1.jpg

>>>> the bronco on that cover & the blue/red bronco on page 1 don't look like the same fiberglass body as the one you just bought.......... are you going by the frame #'s and/or known history from when it changed .......................

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
>>>> the bronco on that cover & the blue/red bronco on page 1 don't look like the same fiberglass body as the one you just bought.......... are you going by the frame #'s .......................

It doesn't? ;) The original Steal tub was destroyed in shipping many years ago. The fiberglass sides where bought from Fairway Ford by Mr. Sealund.

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Here is a run down written by My good friend Hal Sealund.

The bronco is on the Stroppe brochure with Bill standing in front. It was built buy Holman Moody and Stroppe and used by the Hearst family at the Hearst castle.

Somehow, Ed Perry, father of Dann, ended up with it. Ed was in fleet sales for Pearson Ford in San Diego and also owned the start up Ed Perry Tire Company, a small shop that sold Gates tires. The original Bronco had a cloth top. This was the first Bronco I had seen and it was the Trail Boss Bronco in a Tierra Del Sol Safari held in Borrego Springs, CA.
After that Dan Drove it in two Baja 1000's. I brought it back from LaPaz after the 1968 race.
I bought it from Ed Perry for $1,800 after the 1969 race, but didn't get the cloth top or cloth doors. I had it prepped and ran 3 Baja races ending in 1971. After that I had Drick Malone, our partnership of K Bar S and CRS, (California Racing Specialties), put in the 351. Just had to have more power! Kurt Strecker, owner of Viva Broncos in El Cajon poured a 6 pack into me one night and convinced me that for $3,500 he could make it into a REAL Baja racer. Ken Rice was a long time friend and decided he would get involved. Before it got started Kurt was moving to another new location for his Bronco business and not tying the body down, it blew off the truck and was demolished. That ended the association and Ken took over production in his garage. I made the deal with him that I would own and supply the Bronco and $, he would build, maintain and for which he and his brother Greg, would get to drive and race. I did also ride in 12 of the races. The brothers did all the work or farmed out as needed.

After the Rice brothers retired, I made the same deal with a Mike Wilson from Las Vegas. John knew of him. Mike also drove a Dodge and a H--p in Mint races. We raced, oh, three or so and he gave it up. Steve Olliges, whose Dad owns Friendly Ford in Las Vegas, also ran some races. Steve has his own dealership now, Team Ford in Las Vegas and was quite successful later in racing the stock pickup class. Then in 1985 I sold the Bronco to John and a group and I retained some shares in Thunder, Inc until that ended and the rig came back for storage in my shop in Borrego Springs. John called me one day and said a customer of his, Scooter Holder in Houston had a interest in Thunder and he thought we should sell it. John & I made the trip and delivered it to Scooter.