• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Idahorocks and the Bronco Ranger

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
Hello! I'm Idahorocks (Tom) and stoked to be a new member of this community! I'm recently the proud new owner of a 1974 Bronco Ranger. This is my second Bronco with the first being a '92. This Bronco apparently came from Cut Bank, Montana, and I suspect it spent most of it's life there. It appears to have mostly original paint and components, dare I call it a survivor, which is what really drew me to get it. It is pretty solid, just in need for some work to get it safe and reliable. When I first got it, it seemed to run well but was super sketchy with brakes and suspension. Anything over 40mph was white knuckle. So I got to work, with some help from my boys.

The mechanical restoration should be pretty straight forward, fingers crossed. Since I got it I've done a TBP disc brake conversion with power brake booster, new C bushings and shocks, new tires, and minor tune up. It still needs a transmission service and maybe some driveline work. But it drives much better.

I plan on keeping as much of the original finish as possible. The only rust I've found is minor and limited to the crease in the toe boards and driver's inner fender. Someone in the past had tried to touch up some of the paint on the upper rear quarters, tailgate, and windshield frame but missed the mark on color matching. Also, based on the two holes in the hood a previous owner must have mounted a hood ornament. So do I fix the holes or get some gaudy horse ornament...

Looking forward to sharing and learning more from y'all!

Tom

-EQDNhHgbe6eY1uLojqfWJp2AQ2j3B6Pm3TpaoQBopu0H6Agt7Vidq_Hi4e2kPZJjEI-n9vmUDJSB3pKfEHj_tFo_RxfSyS48wDBRpML_fpXoMGiqlFG_p3JRW3F2oyKVzkGPcpkGasU9JZ7ymSHkMflUl71YsM0JPchVvNldwDILFywjVvleRLqrnsjtdfDpXu3nTbf5G_3lSmLTHGxg-USnGK4hvOcr_ZYzDkFFevQXlB1XMMSa_bZDaYX0lEgrCmC1avTZbtJYBJsTBGjievvhHhCC1Uzmzm9XJgn_U_HHrgQnaa7--kta_sF-ZYaX7aMSZOTsq_FH8Qto1LS3StqoAUqBmiRuTVF7gWaLPPgW9x8_rzwQe27tEfHJu1vcaksn63SYgUJedVQ5x4loYkRKxQZsO2K9m6OES_i9DWLYJo8Es1Wij_ltCJHq9-n6YAvFh0JKWePDLqdq8q3vF8ze-vDjo3-IWgQ5MW5O6BN6y-qkqwOVWRfSrKeI-us6vMSH_Y0aNuxBxaQKAbyziiobBOhyOnmOHO0LehrMz2EbUI7pxAm3ELdDNqYPSwnq5e-CVoMRp1OU2V8Fbgl_SJgznlBsxx-DzOaem0E=w972-h729-no

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site, good looking Bronco. That high and dry western air sure preserves these trucks well! This is a great bunch of folks with knowledge on just about anything you can do with your Bronco. Good luck with it! For the hood holes, it would bother me...I’d try to get touch up paint and fill/paint. It might not be perfect but better than a black hole or bronc statue on the hood.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Nice looking truck. Welcome to the site. I'm a newbie too. Also recently purchased a TBP Power Disc conversion. How did the installation go? Any pointers. Mine is going on a Dana 30 tho...

For the holes in the hood, Just a little duct tape on the backside, bondo and a little spray paint should take care of it right? Haha

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Nice looking truck!

Unless you know one of those magician painters who can match both the color and the patina I'd just leave the holes alone.

OP
OP
I

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the kind words and advice.

Yes, the color matching is going to be a challenge if I attempt to fix the holes and touch up the paint. I will probably start with a test with the original wind blue in an inconspicuous area first and use the results to plan the next step. And I think a touch up around the holes could be just as annoying as the holes alone so they will stay for now. And no hood ornament.

The TBP power disc conversion is pretty straight forward as long as your existing brake lines are in good shape. You may want to consider getting new lines if they are old and the flare nuts are stripped. Grinding the knuckles was my biggest concern and it was actually pretty easy. Just test fit the calipers and make sure they have full range of motion with some gap. The only outstanding issue is the new power brake booster assembly is not level. It sags forward a bit. I will probably shim the lower firewall bolts with a couple of washers to get it to raise up.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome, and very nice Bronco! Howard in beautiful west Michigan

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard! Very nice looking Bronco.
You have found the very best Early Bronco resource on the web. Very helpful and resourceful people.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice Rig Tom!

Welcome aboard! You should try to swing my the LEBC Round up later this week and meet up w/lots of great folks around the TX area... Ride with someone, get to see a lot of nice rigs, crawlers and such :)

http://lebc.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=887749&module_id=170577

And feel free to vote daily for CB as top 4x4 site, just a pride thing Link at bottom of page. we get nothing else from it.. :D

OP
OP
I

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
I would love to make it to the LEBC round up but can't this go around. I should be able to make the Houston area meet and greet at Planet Ford in May.

I took the Bronco to my mechanic today to get the transmission serviced, have them check over all of my recent work, and do an overall inspection to ensure it is safe and reliable. It was running, driving and stopping pretty well all the way there, about 10 miles. Maybe my only beef is a little transmission slip between 1 and 2 and a slight shudder from the front end during low speed tight turns. We'll see how it goes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The shudder in turns could be as simple as the hubs being locked and the front u-joints being near frozen.
Of course, if you were in a really tight turn, the tire tread edges could have been catching the radius arms. Very common with non-stock tires sizes.
The good news is that it doesn't hurt anything. The bad news is that it sometimes (depending on the tires) sounds like it's hurting everything!

And if you don't know it's history, you're on the right path by changing the fluids. Often the diff fluids never get changed though. So add those to your list.

And speaking of that list... Again if you don't know the history of the vehicle, change the rear wheel bearings!
Or at least inspect them up close and personal. They are non-adjustable, lubed-for-life affairs, and will wear out without prior notice.

Just something else to add to the list.;D

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
I

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
Got the Bronco back from the shop. The transmission service was helpful and also took care of a minor leak from the pan. They checked the front end bushing work and disc brake conversion. All good. The front alignment was even within specs. There were still a few outstanding issues. The front pinion seal has a minor leak and the Autolite 2100 is leaking. I knew about both but would rather fix those myself. They quote for the differential fluid and transfer case fluid change was high enough that I would rather take that on as well.

I rebuilt the carb last night and reinstalled it this morning. Tons better and no leaks.

So what to do on the differential and transfer case fluids? I think I will drain and change the front differential and transfer case. Those should be easy enough. I will do the front pinion seal at the same time. From what I've read servicing the 9 inch rear requires opening the case since there isn't a drain plug. If I need to do that then I may as well tackle the rear wheel bearings like Paul suggested.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
... From what I've read servicing the 9 inch rear requires opening the case since there isn't a drain plug. If I need to do that then I may as well tackle the rear wheel bearings like Paul suggested.

Yeah, I think that's really what they had in mind when they designed them in the first place.
It would make sense to practically force you to service one when you're doing the other. With the tendency to let gear lube "age" for 100,000 miles, that would end up being the perfect time to change the wheel bearings.
Mine were toast at less than 90k miles in fact, and many a rear wheel has separated from the vehicle with less than 120k miles on the clock, so it is not without precedent.

Sounds like you're on a roll. Keep it up!
Oh, and did they happen to at least let you know what the alignment numbers were? Just being "within spec" is not always the best setting.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I think I will drain and change the front differential and transfer case. Those should be easy enough. I will do the front pinion seal at the same time. From what I've read servicing the 9 inch rear requires opening the case since there isn't a drain plug. If I need to do that then I may as well tackle the rear wheel bearings like Paul suggested.

Sounds like a good plan and start... Good luck

OP
OP
I

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
After driving to work and back I think my low speed turn front end shudder is actually coming from the back. I think the limited slip is loading and releasing in the corners. Oil comes out of the plug so I know there's something in there, but it's probably not doing it's job. Just another sign to get to work on a rear differential service.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words and advice.

Yes, the color matching is going to be a challenge if I attempt to fix the holes and touch up the paint. I will probably start with a test with the original wind blue in an inconspicuous area first and use the results to plan the next step. And I think a touch up around the holes could be just as annoying as the holes alone so they will stay for now. And no hood ornament..

how many holes ?? 3 ?
I think I know what ornament was on it .... just cant find the pic of it at the moment !

OP
OP
I

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
Two holes. I think it was one of those fighting bronco hood ornaments. There are a few on ebay and the bolts look about right.