• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

optima or odyssey

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Getting ready to replace my two Optima's.

Odyssey battery sounds good. The Sears Platinum marine battery looks good too.

What are you guys using?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I have no problem wit a yellow top for about 6 years now but would try an odyssey if I needed a new one.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Deka Intimidator from Remy. Dumped Optimas long ago and have Dekas in both trucks (EB and my DD) and haven't had a problem.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Odyssey or the Deka Intimidator, I'd stay away from Optima.

Do a search, there's a couple of threads on this subject, if not more

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Odyssey or the Deka Intimidator, I'd stay away from Optima.

Do a search, there's a couple of threads on this subject, if not more

As a long time observer here at CB I remember some disgruntled Optima owners. My optimas are rather old but have always taken a charge, but here lately they act like they have taken a charge but then die on me at the worst times.

Maybe Odysee then. I think I heard that Sears Platimun marine battery is an Odyssey with a much better warranty. That is tempting since warranty issues are easy at Sears and there is usually a Sears in every town. There is 3 or 4 here in O'town.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I've used Optimas for many years and have had good experiences with them (the current one in my Bronco is 6 years old) but when it dies, I'm switching to an Odyssey PC1500.

Unfortunately, I, like many people, have an Optima-specific battery tray in my truck so it'll have to be changed.

Vendor alert - somebody that comes up with a real nice battery tray/containment setup that accomodates both Odysseys and Optimas will have a nice seller on their hands...

Todd Z.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
As a long time observer here at CB I remember some disgruntled Optima owners. My optimas are rather old but have always taken a charge, but here lately they act like they have taken a charge but then die on me at the worst times.

Maybe Odysee then. I think I heard that Sears Platimun marine battery is an Odyssey with a much better warranty. That is tempting since warranty issues are easy at Sears and there is usually a Sears in every town. There is 3 or 4 here in O'town.

Yeah, Sears is a very good option. Havent' heard too much negative. The older optimas for sure will hold their own, hell I have a red top in mine that had to be slowly recharged after I picked up the rig from the PO.

Good luck. There's some nice options available for you.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
My Optima Red Top is at least 10 years old... still works fine as far as I can tell. Some one said they are not the same anymore?

Greg

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I heard all the negs about the optima's but got my yellow tops anyway.....i have never had a problem with them so far....this set is about 2.5yrs old with no probs.....the yellow tops and one of the blue tops are the only ones that are deep cycle...none of the red tops are....the red tops are the ones that i see everybody having problems with....just my 02

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My Optima Red Top is at least 10 years old... still works fine as far as I can tell. Some one said they are not the same anymore?

Greg

The complaints with Optima started when they were purchased by Johnson Controls and production moved to Mexico. If your Red Top is 10 years old, I believe it pre-dates that purchase.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Oddessey as a rebranded Diehard Platinum (no need for the marine version). That is the quality battery of the day. at a convient purchase point with a retailer to stand behind the product nationwide.

Optima was the great battery. I hear they are getting better again. But after a few years of horrible quality I don't care for them anymore. They still have there believers.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Deka Intimidator from Remy. Dumped Optimas long ago and have Dekas in both trucks (EB and my DD) and haven't had a problem.

Deka makes a great battery and I also have them in my bronco. A great battery at a great price.

Henry

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
go get a deep cycle from costco for $72 and be done. that's what i did recently when my 2nd red top in a row crapped out. they didn't totally crap out, but had a weak cell from day one.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Wow. What an awesome response.

I am going to look into all of this and make a purchase right after Christmas.

Thanks Guys!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i have had optimas but now i only buy Interstate batteries. I have a blue top, light grey base optima thats a deep cycle starting battery. I have had it for maybe 15 years and still use in on the fish house and my bro uses it in his boat. Ill never buy another but it has been good to me.

Unlike the blue tops the red tops cant be completly discharged as many times. Thats why a deep cycle starting battery is a better buy for alot of reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
i have had optimas but now i only buy Interstate batteries. I have a blue top, light grey base optima thats a deep cycle starting battery. I have had it for maybe 15 years and still use in on the fish house and my bro uses it in his boat. Ill never buy another but it has been good to me.

Unlike the blue tops the red tops cant be completly discharged as many times. Thats why a deep cycle starting battery is a better buy for alot of reasons.

Yea, I think I am going to stick with a marine deep cycle no matter which brand. I do believe I am afraid of Optima now. I need two so it is quite an investment and I really don't want to make a poor/uninformed decision.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Ran 2 red tops, they lasted 10 years. Replaced with yellow tops and they discharge down to about 11.5 volts after sitting only about 5 days or so (even disconected). Allways have. I need dual posts for my setup so I'm limited on what I can buy. Other than the idle discharge issue, they crank a lot of power (winching and radio) and never leak as long as I drive the Bronco on a regular basis.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well,

Kenny @ 4 Wheel Parts got me a good deal on a yellow top Optima. I'll be getting another one for my winch (dual batteries) in a few weeks. The other options were Deka, Diehard Platinum marine, or Odyssey. Believe it or not the Optima beat them all on price. If I have any issues with warranty atleast I have Kenny @ 4 Wheel Parts Center five minutes from my house.

So far so good with this Optima. I will keep ya'll posted.