• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stutsmo's 67 build.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I started thinking….. Now I have a problem, and it is a Bronco addict’s worst nightmare. That freakin Dave Ramsey……. EVERYTHING he teaches in financial peace university is a blatant disregard of a Bronco addict’s way of thinking and living. What does he mean? ”save money”……“plan for your financial future.” …….“Every dollar has a name so Tell your money where to go and what to do before it’s even in the Bank.” This leads me to my problem….It’s time for me to part with my Bronco addict tendencies. The wife and I agreed that we get to keep 1 Bronco until we can achieve baby step 7. Some of you already know what I am talking about (Baby steps) because you have been through it. I encourage those of you that struggle with finances to at least check out what he has to say.
So here’s what is happening. Every Bronco part I don’t need for my “Junko” build must be sold. I have a bunch of parts and some are worth some money but most aren’t. Whatever money I get out of my spare parts is what I have to finish up the “Junko” build. So since a lot of my parts are not desirable any longer like 3 speed Trans, Dana 44 with drum brakes, frame but no title, etc….. I think (and this is what gets me in trouble) that a complete running Bronco would net me more cash than trying to sell the parts by themselves. I wasn’t going to do a build thread on this but I decided to because when I look back on some of my previous threads they have helped me figure out what the heck I was thinking at the time I did it! It will also serve as a diary of sorts for me, and the new owner when the Bronco is completed. So enough of the background of why I am building it and on with the build….. Here are some pics to get it started.
The first 3 pics are of the frame and front axle, and stock suspension before I disassembled media blasted and painted them. The rest of the pics are of the painted parts and some bushings which I sold some other parts to pay for.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,326
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 644
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 682
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 647
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 669
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 696
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 702
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 685
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 609
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 606
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More pics

here are some more pics of the cleaning/painting process. Last pic is a 4x4x2 box. I sold some parts and bought it from a member on this board. It has been blasted and painted since I took this pic.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 440
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 514
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 469
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 464
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 488
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 433
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 444

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
My build thread has helped me remember exactly what i did and what part numbers i used. If this site ever goes down and i lose my build thread im screwed! Good luck! The documentation of a build is important for future fixes and for others.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am also keeping a detailed spread sheet of parts used along with this thread the new owner will know exactly what he/she is buying……Yea this has been More challenging and a little more slow going than I expected I have been working on it a month and still don’t have a body on the frame yet. I’ll post up some more pics after work.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Stutsmo, What are you painting the frame/axles with? It looks great so far.;D

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I'm with ya on the Dave Ramsey thing. One guy I know got his living expenses to $2400/month including mortgage, college loans, baby stuff, virtually all expenses. I just figured ours, and it is MUCH higher....

So, props to ya for digging out of debt. We are about there and it feels great! If you need some parts for your project, post up and I'll see if I can send anything your way. Most of us do have enough to build a spare truck with, it seems. Most of my 'extra' stuff is now gone, but I'd be happy to help a brother out if I can.

My advice is to get it running and driving. Maybe get a cheap Maaco paint job, if you can do the prep work. A lot of the nice 'add on' stuff and a good paint job will break the bank!

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
And, yes the racing thing goes completely against anything Ramsey would say, in case you were wondering :D

Gotta have some fun, right?

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
2 groove pulleys, ps brackets and pump, hoses, and maybe modify the steering shaft a touch. For the 4x4x2 box, it doesn't bolt up to the frame nicely. It takes a fair bit of work to get it to fit. I bought a BC kit to do it. If you don't have a plasma (makes life a lot easier) or a welder, you'll need to get someone to do that for you. Personally, I don't see the allure to the 4x4x2 box. Broken several sector shafts in them on the racer. I think the stock EB box is about as strong (my opinion only).

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Stutsmo, What are you painting the frame/axles with? It looks great so far.;D

I used rust seal from KBS coatings found on this site…. Thanks for reminding me I need to go order some more! ;D

broncosbybart
I'm with ya on the Dave Ramsey thing. One guy I know got his living expenses to $2400/month including mortgage, college loans, baby stuff, virtually all expenses. I just figured ours, and it is MUCH higher....

So, props to ya for digging out of debt. We are about there and it feels great! If you need some parts for your project, post up and I'll see if I can send anything your way. Most of us do have enough to build a spare truck with, it seems. Most of my 'extra' stuff is now gone, but I'd be happy to help a brother out if I can.

My advice is to get it running and driving. Maybe get a cheap Maaco paint job, if you can do the prep work. A lot of the nice 'add on' stuff and a good paint job will break the bank!

Thanks! I know I don’t have everything it will take to complete it so I’ll probably be posting up on this thread when something is needed. Way cool of you to offer though! My plan is to have it running and drive it a bunch wile I am trying to sell it. Working out as many of the bugs as I can for the next guy. I already have paint for it (single stage) and I plan on attempting the body/ paint myself, I have never painted before but I have always wanted to try it.

broncosbybart
And, yes the racing thing goes completely against anything Ramsey would say, in case you were wondering Gotta have some fun, right?

Absolutely! I totally understand, I am not ever going to totally give up my hobby (ANYTHING Broncos!) but I am going to scale back a bunch and Man up and make sure the family is taken care of first! But you are right We GOTTA HAVE SOME FUN!

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stick with the Financial Peace, it's excellent.

Also, in addition to the 4x4x2 box, what else do you need to put PS in an early Bronco?

Financial peace is now a way of life for my family there is no doubt we are going to stick with it.

The power steering I am putting on is detailed completely on B.C. Broncos web site just click on steering and you will know everything you will need to do a conversion. I love that site!

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
2 groove pulleys, ps brackets and pump, hoses, and maybe modify the steering shaft a touch. For the 4x4x2 box, it doesn't bolt up to the frame nicely. It takes a fair bit of work to get it to fit. I bought a BC kit to do it. If you don't have a plasma (makes life a lot easier) or a welder, you'll need to get someone to do that for you. Personally, I don't see the allure to the 4x4x2 box. Broken several sector shafts in them on the racer. I think the stock EB box is about as strong (my opinion only).

Yea my experience installing the box will be documented….I actually just got my part of the install finished. Now I am just waiting on my welder friend who shall remain nameless to get off his butt and weld the reinforcing plate on!! This will be my first completed 4x4x2 conversion so I am not sure how the Bronco is going to drive yet.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Just watch using my name......It's taken! LOL:p

I have thought about building one on the ultra cheap, just have too many other projects..... Good luck on yours!

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just watch using my name......It's taken! LOL:p

I have thought about building one on the ultra cheap, just have too many other projects..... Good luck on yours!

Honestly I worried about that, but I couldn’t think of anything else family oriented enough to put as a title! I figured you’d be alright with me borrowing your name for a short time in an effort to keep profanity off the site. ;)

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few up grades

So as I said earlier I sold some of my parts and bought the 4x4x2 box. After buying a reinforcing kit for the frame for my other Bronco I realized how easy they were to make so I had a plate cut on the laser at work and made my own frame spacers. The kit isn’t hard to install but it did take me a lot longer than I expected it to. I basically spent a whole evening pounding out the original frame spacers and trimming the cross member on the frame. I also drilled one of my bolt holes crooked through the frame so I had some time in getting that fixed also. all said and done I am happy with the fitment. I’ll get it all welded up and the box bolted down on Monday.

I also got a 79 disc brake conversion for the Dana 44 it was supposed to be a complete setup all I had to do was fix one wheel stud…. Well let’s just say I didn’t get what I paid for. So after I spent the last of my “Bronco Money” getting the rest of the parts for my “complete disk Brake Conversion”. I got it all blasted and painted and I have everything but the locking hubs installed.

I sold parts of specifically to buy these 2 upgrades. I have spent too much time behind the wheel of a bronco with manual steering and standard drum brakes. I just feel a lot more safe about having this set up. I also have an extra hydro boost unit to install when the time comes.
Just because it is a spare parts build doesn’t mean I am going to skimp out on some safety up- grades.

Last but not least I have some James duff shocks installed, I don’t know why but I love these things and I just wanted to mention them!;D

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 318
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 314

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Honestly I worried about that, but I couldn’t think of anything else family oriented enough to put as a title! I figured you’d be alright with me borrowing your name for a short time in an effort to keep profanity off the site. ;)

Too many people have spare parts to be mad if anyone used it at some point in time. I thought I would give you a little friendly grief!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Stuts, post up if you need something....i have extra stuff from my ongoing build as well

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am still at it!

tasker
Stuts, post up if you need something....i have extra stuff from my ongoing build as well

Thanks tasker..... I will let you know if I need anything!

With a busy schedule at work and other commitments I am moving at a snail’s pace! I have got a little work done but I wanted to be a little farther along by now….. that is how it goes sometimes.

I am going to go with the warn hubs I took them into work and cleaned them up. they look pretty good the pics don’t do them justice.

I also had some frame savers made on the laser at work and borrowed an idea I saw Bax use on one of his builds. They turned out pretty good I don’t have a finished pic but you can’t tell that a repair was made. I got the steering box reinforcement plate welded on the frame also.

Also a Bronco Brother had some slots he didn’t need so we struck up a deal. I brought them home did a light blast to clean up the bead and rear of the rims leaving the faces untouched (they will be polished). Then another Bronco Brother mounted my 32x12.50 BFG tires on them. I got them home and set them on the frame and needless to say I thought they looked great!

My progress has been a lot slower than I wanted but I’ll get it done eventually. I wouldn’t be as far along as I am without the help of my 3 Bronco Brothers Bill, Vince, and Mike. Thanks guys!

I made a new strap to hold up the gas tank I included the pic of it also.

I also turned 40 since my last up date. My family got me an AWESOME birthday present which I'll post up in the last pic She is a German Sheppard I named her E.B.

Attachments

• 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 249
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg