• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Daves 71 NH Build

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I had that happen when I was younger with a propane convection heater. didn't pass out but got real light headed and started coughing. was able to get out side quick enough though. with the kerosene forced air heater I would keep a window open along with a side door and it worked well, still a little bit of a smell though. Boy, I love my pellet stove now.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
PSA: My buddy (no C02 monitor) fell asleep working on his snowmobile using a Kero heater. He was awakened by the drop of is own wrench, had to crawl out of the garage.... One lucky S.O.B.

I do this for a living, measuring atmosphere that is. This is some serious stuff, and self rescue is harldy ever evident. Be aware of the signs for CO and CO2 issues. If the heater is not rated for indoor use, don't use it. Fast breathing, shortness of breath and "tired" are all symptoms. Get fresh air, turn off the heat sourse and open windows. CO monitors are some of the best investments you can make.

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah Pete,
Thats why i kind of stop using mine. Was ok when the garage wasn't insulated as it had plenty of air to suck in, plus i kept the overhead door cracked. One of the first things i bought was a CO monitor. I don't think i ever ran it more than a couple hours at a time.

How's your project coming? I guess youv'e been pretty busy elsewhere huh?

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Yeah Pete,
Thats why i kind of stop using mine. Was ok when the garage wasn't insulated as it had plenty of air to suck in, plus i kept the overhead door cracked. One of the first things i bought was a CO monitor. I don't think i ever ran it more than a couple hours at a time.

How's your project coming? I guess youv'e been pretty busy elsewhere huh?

Taking 10 youth winter survival camping tonight. Will get back to it hot and heavy next week. Just had a busy time recently but the schedule is opening up a little. For the near future anyway. ;D

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went on one of those when i was just a kid. Good memories.

Good luck, be safe and have fun.

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pulled the manifolds off the 302 today. Pretty easy except one bolt on each side was being stubborn but all and all a quick job.

Supprising enough their in really good shape and solid including the flange's

Also purchased a new toy last week. Eastwood Mig135. Will be picking up a cart, helmet and gloves this week.

Attachments

• DSC01558.jpg
    DSC01558.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01559.jpg
    DSC01559.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC01560.jpg
    DSC01560.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC01561.jpg
    DSC01561.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 74

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Have you tried out the welder yet? I heard they are decent machines from a buddy of mine who welds for a living. He used one that his father-in-law had purchased for doing bodywork in his garage. He compared it to a Lincoln 110V mahine such as the SP135plus. The only thing he said was to adhere to the duty cycle. The lincolns and millers are a little more forgiving. Having the infinite settings for the heat is also a plus. My Lincoln SP170T has tapped settings which I could do without.

Keep up the good work........you know you're not alone. We are definitely rust warriors.

Oh yeah Dave, was that a 69-70 Fastback mustang body on a 4x4 frame? I remember when they were the rage along with the van shaggin' wagons. Driving a Fastback mustang looking like that now would get you tarred and feathered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, I kinda want to wait to get my gas and the temps to climb up a bit. I could fool around with flux-core but would need to buy wire. Figured just get the gas and jump right in.

Yes it was. I would like to think it's on a Bronco chassis to at least keep it all Ford. I think "357Bronco" Scott, might know as he raced/races there so he may know of it. Yah thoose were the funky mod years for sure. I had a 289 lavender Pinto project that i aquired but never really got off the ground.

357Bronco

Loc.
New Hampsha
Get ready to throw up a little, that Mustang was on an International Scout/ pick up chassis, with a 345CID motor. Don't know where it is now, he stopped racing in the early ninties, right after that pic was taken.

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get ready to throw up a little, that Mustang was on an International Scout/ pick up chassis, with a 345CID motor. Don't know where it is now, he stopped racing in the early ninties, right after that pic was taken.

Huh, did cough up a little bile on that one though.%)

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So got my cart, helmet, gloves and a welding blanket at HF. The cart is actually not bad quality other than the cheap metric hardware but works nontheless for starter stuff. At least it's Ford blue. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC01562.jpg
    DSC01562.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01563.jpg
    DSC01563.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not much to report but had a semi-productive day.

A Bronco guy from MA contacted me from craigslist for the hardtop I was giving away. Suprised he took it, was in pretty rough shape. He has a 76 and I encouraged him to get on CB so hopefully he'll show up here in the near future . Saved me from sawzalling it up and tossing it.

Steve (76MaBronco), his daughters and Moose stopped by today. Was nice to see them again since Bones meet and greet. Handed off a set of torque bars to him. Hopefully will help with some of the axle wrap he has on the "Turd".

Also removed some more weight of the 302. PS pump, fuel pump, water pump, crank pulley and balancer.

Attachments

• DSC01575.jpg
    DSC01575.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC01576.jpg
    DSC01576.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC01577.jpg
    DSC01577.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The long threaded PS pivot shafts I have fought with before so i just double nut it with a lock washer in between and wrench it out with the inside nut. I had this off when i replaced the pump some 20yrs ago so it least wasn't in there for 40+.;D I did the water pump back then as well but luckily didn't have any issues.
The Box lines i had to heat up a bit though.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
It's like deja vu to me. A little at a time, right?

Dave, my wife wants me to go to a batmitzvah with her on April 19, any chance that you need help that weekend? Real desperate help? Something that only I can do? Please? Pretty please? (Can you tell I don't want to go to this thing?)

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's like deja vu to me. A little at a time, right?

Dave, my wife wants me to go to a batmitzvah with her on April 19, any chance that you need help that weekend? Real desperate help? Something that only I can do? Please? Pretty please? (Can you tell I don't want to go to this thing?)

Haha, Sounds like me when we had the Bones meet and eat. We had a RSVP to a b-party i couldn't miss but it wound up getting cancelled. Lucky me.

Sounds like a plan to me. Tell her whatever you need to to make it work. I'm sure i can find a few things both Bronco and beer related;D. Ohh and i'm hoping to get my gas for the welder next week and need help starting it up%)

I would Just do whatever i could to try and find someone for her to go with.

But anyway nice to here from you, How have ya been feelin? Any more progress on the build or just takin it slow?