• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jake Good's Bronco Rebuild

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Man it has been too long. I am ready to get back on the trail again! I am shooting for Moab for the Bronco Safari. We'll see if it all works out!
Jake

If all goes as planned, I'll be out there too!

David

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Unfortunately my welds are not pretty as I'd like but I am not worried about them failing. I am trying a new technique for me which is the "e" motion with the puddle.

Here is the middle portion going together.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
I wanted to build the crossmember out of Cold Rolled 3/16" but I couldn't get the sizes I needed to build it from. So I went with 1/4" Hot rolled plate.

Some speed holes would really dress it up, but here in the midwest mud fills all that stuff so it will stay solid. Here is the finished crossmember.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thats looking real good, I'm looking forward to the finished product.

I am trying a new technique for me which is the "e" motion with the puddle.

Thats the technique I use when I'm using my mig and sometimes with the stick, its works good once you get the feel for it, or I should say once you see how it works the puddle. Try this next time maybe it will help a little, think small cursive "e's". I know when I first started this technique I was overlapping too much in the puddle . Once I started lapping only a little it worked much better and really put out a nice clean looking weld with good penetration, but I tend to weld a little slow compared to some guys I know.

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
yeah it's definately an improvement from working the gun side to side. I am really wanting to improve the welds on my roll cage where you see them all the time. Tubing is so hard to make a complete weld all the way around look good for me. :mad:

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
This is what I decided on for calc numbers. It should be quite an improvement from what I had previously.

attachment.php

Frame-side upper links mounts. I pretty much stole this idea from the synergy mounts that poly performance sells. Thiers is designed to mount lower links so I just flipped it to mount on top of the frame instead. I need to make the weldwashers for the tabs and they will be ready to weld in as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
I can't realize what any of that is.?:?

If you have Microsoft Excel, you can download the zip file from the link below.

http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/files/4BarLinkV3.0.zip

The light blue cells are the ones where you enter your data. Sometimes highlighting the cell will provide a brief description.

Basically, you're entering your vehicle specifics and link info and the spreadsheet will "predict" the resulting anti-squat numbers, etc. The numbers equate to how long your upper and lower links should be and how much separation your uppers and lowers should have at both the axle and frame ends. There's a science to it all and math was never my strong suit. If you don't get it close, your rear end can end up either jacking up or squatting on acceleration. You also need to control how the pinion reacts when the suspension cycles so the driveshaft doesn't bind and then there's keeping the axle centered under your rig, etc. FWIW, flexy suspensions at slow speeds on the trail don't necessarily equate to smooth cruising on the street. There's a lot more to it, and I'm no expert, but you get the gist.

Jake and other more experienced builders can chime in with more specifics. I researched it a while ago but didn't have the balls to go through with it! My 1-tons are still sitting in my shed! :-[

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
If you download the spread sheet it has some instructions that come with it.
You will need to get your vehicle specs filled in. That is the block of info to the left. Then the hard part comes in with trying to decide where to put your control arms and what type of suspension design you want to run. Once you get to that point let me know!
Jake

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
That will make it difficult then! I'd either find a copy of excel or find a buddy with a copy of excel if you would like to lern to use the tool. However it's not the be all end all of suspension design. The best advice I have for building a linked suspension is to find someones rig that works the way you want yours to and copy it! Honestly it'll take building several linked suspensions to really see how the numbers you get from the calculator relate to real world.

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Here are a couple pictures of the modified and finished mounts for the frame side of the wishbone. I didn't have enough room in the mount for full droop so I had to lower the tabs on the backside for the wishbone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also a picture of the wishbone as well. I had to put a small bend in the tubes to clear the pinion support part of the 3rd member.

attachment.php

The lower link tabs are finished as well.

attachment.php
[/quote]

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
NICE! You're moving right along! Did I read somewhere that you were going with ORIs? Additionally, why did you opt to go the wishbone route vice 4-link? Any specific reason or just personal preference? I'm just curious.

Build looks great! :cool:

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Yeah I am running 12" ORI's on the back and hope to get a set for the front as well.

Originally I was running the lower links on the outside of the frame and there isn't enough room in between the frame rails to triangulate the uppers enough to make me comfortable. Now with the lowers triangulated I don't really see an issue with seperate uppers. The wishbone is a little tougher to build than just a couple more straight links but I had ran it for years so I was comfortable with it's performance.

Jake