• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jake Good's Bronco Rebuild

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Super additions to a proven build Jake!!! I will also be looking fwd to the first "driving/trail run impressions" post. Very innovative approach to an upgrade axle :) Hope you and family are well and looking fwd. to Thanksgiving.
Karl

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Thanks Karl! Do you still have the buggy? The next round of work through the bronco I anticipate will involve a tube chassis and some TC bronco skins!

Jake

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Karl! Do you still have the buggy? The next round of work through the bronco I anticipate will involve a tube chassis and some TC bronco skins!

Jake

Yep, I took it back to Jason before school started for the second set of skins. He has been "restoring a paint booth" for several weeks now. Hope he will be able to start on the skins soon!!!! Now that I will have a spare set of skins, it has a permanent spot in the stable-have to figure which set to sacrifice to the rocks...........:(
Karl

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Awesome build Jake, I know we have met before but never wheeled together. Gordon assures me we will soon... LOL. I guess I shouldn't have backed out of the Kansas Rocks competition a couple of months ago, the local event wasn't any where near what it was supposed to be. Being Kansas Rocks is only 200 miles away, I should have came over. Can't wait to see the new improvements some time soon.

David

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
It looks clean but didn't turn out like I wanted. I am planning to cut it off and rework the joint so it looks like a smoother transition into the new tubing.

What do you guys think? Is it worth redoing just to make it look more factory?

Well if you're anal for those types of details, and it's bothering you that much, then I suppose this would be the time to address it. Personally, if I were satisifed that it was structurally sound, I'd crack on! I mean, it's not like you're performing a full restoration or it's "killing the look." That said, is there anything else going on besides just that "<" cut? ;D

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Jake, Long time no see! This BadA$$ Bronco has grown so much over the years. I can still remember you pulling me out of the "Hole" in Disney when your truck was "just Lifted" and had the white hood. Keep the build going it is looking killer..

Levi

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Yep, I took it back to Jason before school started for the second set of skins. He has been "restoring a paint booth" for several weeks now. Hope he will be able to start on the skins soon!!!! Now that I will have a spare set of skins, it has a permanent spot in the stable-have to figure which set to sacrifice to the rocks...........:(
Karl

I saw on pirate he had the paint booth up and running. Can't wait to be back on the trail soon. It'll be fun trying to keep up with that rig! ;D

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Awesome build Jake, I know we have met before but never wheeled together. Gordon assures me we will soon... LOL. I guess I shouldn't have backed out of the Kansas Rocks competition a couple of months ago, the local event wasn't any where near what it was supposed to be. Being Kansas Rocks is only 200 miles away, I should have came over. Can't wait to see the new improvements some time soon.

David

Well the good news is that we will have two more next year! Gordon had a great time so I kow he'll be back! I just spent the weekend tweaking some areas so I'll have some new lines to work with!
Jake

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Well if you're anal for those types of details, and it's bothering you that much, then I suppose this would be the time to address it. Personally, if I were satisifed that it was structurally sound, I'd crack on! I mean, it's not like you're performing a full restoration or it's "killing the look." That said, is there anything else going on besides just that "<" cut? ;D

Yeah unfortunately I am that AR.... %) So far that is all I have planned for the splices. I'll keep and eye on them and make sure they don't fatigue.

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Jake, Long time no see! This BadA$$ Bronco has grown so much over the years. I can still remember you pulling me out of the "Hole" in Disney when your truck was "just Lifted" and had the white hood. Keep the build going it is looking killer..

Levi

Damn Levi! That would have been OCBR 2001! Yep the bronco had just gotten 36" swampers just for the trip!

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
ok so maybe it doesn't look as bad as i think. I decided to go ahead and redo it though so I can keep as much up travel in as I can. The frame is acutally the same as height as it was before the cut but the rear is higher doing away with the 1" body lift puck. I am going to splice in a section that matches the 6 degree frame angle and then splice in an over lapping section that hopefully will allow the frame to look more like a mandrel bent piece.
Here is the template that I will use to make the cuts.

attachment.php

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Got the frame rails built and pretty much finished. Alot of work for such a little gain but I am very happy with the way it turned out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Hear is is the start of the rear crossmember. The goal was to mount the Johnny Joints as low as possible without hanging below the frame. I also have to make sure the transfercase could bolt in out and as the mount is close the the t-case.

I work in 2D cad all day long so it's really easy to start my ideas there. I have finally just installed a 3d software to finish the design all on the computer before I start cutting.

You can see the 1" = 1" print out that I am working from on the table. The bottom plate has already been built.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I taught him everything he knows!!!!!!!;) lol

Cant wait to wheel with you again Jake it really has been too long......

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Man it has been too long. I am ready to get back on the trail again! I am shooting for Moab for the Bronco Safari. We'll see if it all works out!
Jake