• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard top questions

BRONCO635

Has anyone used one of the bronco design fiberglass hard tops?
And if so just how did you do it ?
I’m Looking at getting the safari top from them they call it. Which is just the main top itself and then using my sides and gate because my main top is to far gone to use.
Any thoughts on this topic or pics of doing the same? What ever you got. I’m just trying to figure out best way to tackle this project.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustanggarage

Contributor
I don't know the answer, but I am interested as well. I have a 90 jeep wrangler and I like the fiberglass hardtop on it. it is quieter, and does not transmit heat as easily as steel so if it is as good as it looks I am definitely interested

stock orange

I hope someone can answer too. I am about to buy one from them tomorrow. I have talked with Cory in the past about them and he thinks they are great. Cory is the owner

People say some very nice things about Cory!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I used one of BD hard tops and it is a nice piece. I had to do some customizing on it to fit my roll bar and wiper motor. I had to trim the back to fit the contour of the roll bar and make some brackets to mount it to the roll bar. I then fiberglassed the drip edges on the ends to give it a finished look. I don't have pics of it finished but it turned out good once it got sanded and fitted. I haven't painted it yet as I am painting the sheet metal now and will be doing the roof in a couple of weeks. I had to trim out a spot for the windshield wiper motor to fit. I also made a fiberglass brake light for it and it should add a little detail to it. It has 5 small LED lights that are in it. Ken

Attachments

• bd roof1.jpg
    bd roof1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 75
  • bd roof3.jpg
    bd roof3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 75
  • bd roof6.jpg
    bd roof6.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 75
  • bd roof7.jpg
    bd roof7.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 76
  • bd roof9.jpg
    bd roof9.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 68
  • bd roof10.jpg
    bd roof10.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 62
  • chmsl2.jpg
    chmsl2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 67
  • chmsl4.jpg
    chmsl4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 61
  • chmsl5.jpg
    chmsl5.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 64
  • chmsl6.jpg
    chmsl6.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 69
  • mock up2.jpg
    mock up2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 80

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice Ken...

I used one of BD hard tops and it is a nice piece. I had to do some customizing on it to fit my roll bar and wiper motor. I had to trim the back to fit the contour of the roll bar and make some brackets to mount it to the roll bar. I then fiberglassed the drip edges on the ends to give it a finished look. I don't have pics of it finished but it turned out good once it got sanded and fitted. I haven't painted it yet as I am painting the sheet metal now and will be doing the roof in a couple of weeks. I had to trim out a spot for the windshield wiper motor to fit. I also made a fiberglass brake light for it and it should add a little detail to it. It has 5 small LED lights that are in it. Ken

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
Wonder what weight difference is
Corey?

I am not for sure yet... We haven't weighed a steel top. Ours is around 125 pounds without the glass in the sides and lift gate. Do you haven any idea what a steel one weighs Nick?

Corey

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
Has anyone used one of the bronco design fiberglass hard tops?
And if so just how did you do it ?
I’m Looking at getting the safari top from them they call it. Which is just the main top itself and then using my sides and gate because my main top is to far gone to use.
Any thoughts on this topic or pics of doing the same? What ever you got. I’m just trying to figure out best way to tackle this project.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the steel lift gate works easily with our top. I haven't tried the steel sides but they shouldn't be a problem either. We have pretty much the same upper lip as the steel ones on our fiberglass sides. We simply bolt them onto the roof. There is about a 2" lip that runs all the way around the underside of the drip rail. Where the sides mount we have steel inside the fiberglass that gets drilled and tapped so we can bolt the sides on. Similar setup should work good with the steel sides as well.

There is also steel inside the front lip, just like our half cabs, that is marked, drilled and tapped once you get the top to match the bolt pattern of your windshield frame.

To mount the lift gate, there are two access panels in the back you remove and then put the backing plate inside to mount the lift gate, similar to how it mounts on the steel tops.

If you guys have any other questions let me know!

Corey

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
I don't know the answer, but I am interested as well. I have a 90 jeep wrangler and I like the fiberglass hardtop on it. it is quieter, and does not transmit heat as easily as steel so if it is as good as it looks I am definitely interested

Our top is a lot quieter than the steel one, especially if the steel support braces are loose. It is nice not having the tin can sound lol. I am sure it will help with heat as well, since ours is a two piece top section (inside panel is the built in headliner/support bows). We also have foam reinforcing the support bows to add extra support for the roof panel.

Corey

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor

Looking good Ken! I look forward to seeing the finished pics!

The wiper motor can also be clearanced with a drop bracket or by spacing it out 1/2 to 3/4" of an inch. The stock arm setup still works great with spacing it out as well.

Corey

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Looking good Ken! I look forward to seeing the finished pics!

The wiper motor can also be clearanced with a drop bracket or by spacing it out 1/2 to 3/4" of an inch. The stock arm setup still works great with spacing it out as well.

Corey

Thanks, yeah I picked the top up at the Super Celebration back in April and I hope to have the Bronco done for the next one. It is a nice top you guys make Corey. Ken