• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt motor questions

SP66

Bronco Guru
First, is it an engine or a motor?

I'm a complete newbie at this motor stuff. What exactly does it mean to "rebuild" a motor? What are all the parts that are worked on? What parts are replaced with new? What benefit is derived from a working but old engine being rebuilt?

Can you keep your responses simple, my dad put on a suit, took a bus to work in NYC everyday. No time made for tools, wrenching, and cars.

His son, (me) was not much different but I'm interested.

Thanks

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
First it's an engine, motors are electric.

Second a 'correct' rebuild is tearing the engine completely down, cleaning everything up and checking for wear, machining, and reassembling parts.

Typically, the heads are rebuilt with new valves, valve guides and seals and a valve job is done. The block is checked (or decked if needed) the piston bores are either honed or bored for new pistons. The crankshaft and rod journals are either ground or polished. Most rebuilds are also balanced, then reassembled.

If your referring to your 170, it would be an excellent first engine to learn on!

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Rebuild means removing and disassembling the engine and fixing/replacing any used up or broken parts. For me - that included a 10/10 ground crank, re-sized connecting rods and a .030 over bore with new pistons. I had the heads cleaned and checked for cracks and then they got a valve job. New cam was degreed and installed and the motor was balanced.

Something similar done to the 6 would make a huge difference.