• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New owner from Germany

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice work! I look back on my build and you're coming along at light speed. Can't wait to see what it looks like! A bucket list item is to drive a classic American car on a tour of Europe. Very envious of you.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
At the pace your going you will be able to get it on a boat and make it to Townsend in April.:) Nice work. Ken

OP
OP
T

tody

ok, here we go again. another side project to tackle...

removed everything from the front of the engine.
the radiator was completely clogged. nothing came out of the petcock, but i could see that the radiator contained fresh antifreeze below the cap. it turned out it was only topped off. below the fresh antifreeze was a rusty brown mess, and behind the water pump was a lot of debris.
i'll see what it will cost me to have my radiator re-cored. i already have the correct brackets for the ps pump.
one mounting tab of the timing cover is broken, i have a used one. i'll have to get new radiator hoses and a water pump:

IMG_2225.jpg

i also found a lot of mismatched pulleys.
engine is not original to the car, damper is not original. seems to be correct, though, 28oz imbalance and 3 bolt:

IMG_2219.jpg

crankshaft pulley seems to be aftermarket. it's heavy, and i only need a 2 groove pulley.

IMG_2222.jpg

water pump pulley is the two groove i need, but wrong diameter.

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

the power steering was added at some point, the brackets are not correct. neither is the pulley, which reads D0AR-A and does not cross over to a Bronco pulley.

IMG_2218.jpg

i guess i'll have to do some shopping on eBay...

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
None of that is surprising. So much of these old rigs get pieced together as best you can. Borrowing parts from other vehicles is common practice.
I hope you find what you are looking for and get it all back together the way you want.

OP
OP
T

tody

i decided to pull the engine next:

IMG_2228.jpg

C9OE-6015-C is the casting number, i read the date code as 0B27.
thus it's a 302 cast on February 27th, 1970.
IMG_2233.jpg

took off the broken timing cover, 2 pice fuel pump eccentric is there, although the car has an electrical fuel pump. timing chain was really stretched.
IMG_2229.jpg

i had a slightly used double roller timing chain on the shelf, that fit perfectly:
IMG_2236.jpg

all in all, the engine was pretty clean inside. in the cylinders, the crosshatch pattern was still partially visible.
IMG_2237.jpg

took off the rear main cap, to see what kind of seal was inside - only to find this:
IMG_2238.jpg

engine was rebuilt at some point, the main bearings are .010 undersize:
IMG_2239.jpg

so i'm in for a set of rings and bearings...

OP
OP
T

tody

after the engine came out, the front axle was next - only to find more nasty surprises:

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

the front carrier dropped right out. should not be this way, right?
something went through the front differential at some point, deep marks in the housing and chipped teeth:
IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

and i'm pretty unsure about the engine. it's already .040 over, and cylinder two is showing a noticeably deep ridge at the top of the cylinder. the other 7 are nowhere as bad...
IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

as the bronco is already on a lift, i might as well drop the transmission and transfer case.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Yeah, that d44 carrier should come out with some resistance. Maybe one of the shims broke and came out and that is what the chewed up the inside. Looks like you may need a new block, that ones seems pretty worn out. Bummer, Ken

OP
OP
T

tody

yeah, it's a dana 30. started reading the shop manual on rebuilding it. looks like the previous owner did not use any preload shims on the carrier bearings, that's why it dropped out so easily.
the teeth look bad in some places, but it looks like i might just get away with it. they're intact where the teeth mesh.

are all dana 30 created equal? parts stores over here carry shim kits for the 76 - 86 CJ, i wonder whether the can be used on my axle.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't remember, but for that vintage the Jeep stuff may very well fit. Later Jeep models might be suspect.
That looks conspicuously like the highly thought of Dana Power-Lock differential. Can anyone confirm that? Was that the factory limited slip in 30-equipped Broncos? I didn't think so, but that sure looks like one.

Paul

OP
OP
T

tody

that is indeed the POWR LOK, as the shop manual calls it.
my bronco came with limited slip axles from the factory, as per the marti report. so this must have been the OEM locking differential.
does anyone know where to get a clutch pack for it?

i found the manufacturer of the shim kit that is available over here. lists the same kit for all "standard" d30 axles: http://g2axle.com/pages/view/installation

OP
OP
T

tody

more bad news. removed the steering knuckles only to find a handful of red dirt where one of the bearings should have been. more parts for the shopping list %)
it's only money, right? :cry:

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
Looks like you are coming along nicely on the Bronco. Great pics. Do you see or know of many other Broncos in Germany? I sold mine around 2007 and believe it went to Germany. I wish I could fine it! Keep up the good work.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
more bad news. removed the steering knuckles only to find a handful of red dirt where one of the bearings should have been. more parts for the shopping list %)
it's only money, right? :cry:

LOL, that's right.. Only money

OP
OP
T

tody

one step forward, two steps back...

front axle cleaned and painted, as well as all the small parts:

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

front brakes pre-assembled:

IMG_2282.jpg

but the front differential is giving me headaches. the axle housing looks like one of the carrier bearings disintegrated at some point.
the differential housing was showing deep marks where it was hit. and i couldn't get it apart properly. the bolts wouldn't budge, and with an impact, i snapped off each and every one of them...

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

i'll see how i can fix that. also, the clutch discs were severely worn. complete rebuild or upgrade?

on a lighter note, i got a set of used 235/75R15 for next to nothing. 31x10.50R15 was rubbing slightly, so lets' see if these fit better:

IMG_2275.jpg