• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Home stretch: paint and body shop time

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Roger, this shop has good reviews and talks like they know the work. More importantly, they had a 1965 Porsche and a 70 something 240Z in work and they looked straight and proper. Seems like if you want a cheap and quick paint job they will do that, but if want something better they can do that too. Besides, I’m going to be driving it as much as possible, so I don’t need a show quality job.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Roger, this shop has good reviews and talks like they know the work. More importantly, they had a 1965 Porsche and a 70 something 240Z in work and they looked straight and proper. Seems like if you want a cheap and quick paint job they will do that, but if want something better they can do that too. Besides, I’m going to be driving it as much as possible, so I don’t need a show quality job.

Good luck william..

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I am so pumped to have it back on the road this spring. It has been three years since I drove it! Looking forward to attending some meetups.

gorf

Same color? Spotted this last week

GnUoofG.jpg

any chance that truck was for sale?

RedBank

If you don't mind sharing, how much did the dustless blasting cost?
My experience with Maaco is they have great painters due to the experience in volume they get there. The knock on Maaco is from the clients that aren't willing to pay for necessary prep work necessary for a good job... Which in your case you've already done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
The dustless blasting was about a grand, but that was my fault. I wanted them to be meticulous and gentle with the old metal while not getting sand in the engine compartment or dash area. I also had them blast the bumpers, window frames, tailgate, and windshield frame. It probably should have been about 600-800 bucks.

albino

Loc.
Sacramento area

For what it's worth, I was in the same situation you are in about ten years ago. I did a complete frame off and wanted a nice paint job, but didn't need (or want to pay for) a show quality job, as the main purpose of the rig was for rock crawling.

Most of the big local paint shops didn't want to touch it because it wasn't an insurance paid job, and other custom shops wanted stupid money.

So I did the same as you and took it to a local reputable MAACO. I verified their process and that they used only quality paint. I had them do a base coat, clear coat paint job. Everything had been blasted and epoxy primered before bringing it to them. I even had the inner tub and tailgate professionally bed-lined before having them paint it.

When they were done painting it, they did such a good job of masking it off from the bedliner edges, that you can't tell if the bedliner was sprayed on before, or after they painted it!

If you get close you can see orange-peel, and in a few places where specks of dust or lint had landed in the paint, but overall I couldn't be happier for what I paid for. There wasn't any runs in the paint, or anything like that.

I clay-blocked it for the first time last year and the paint felt like glass to the touch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
That’s good to hear and thank you. I walked through their shop and the manager showed me some of their work, both new and old cars done right. I’m supposed to get my first look today or tomorrow, just initial primer and body work. I’ll post pics as soon as I can.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Got to see it in primer today, etch coat they called it. Had all the body work identified so they could more accurately estimate the cost. Also had a spray out of the Lunar Green. In the pic the spray out swatch is next to a section of the original floor pan.

Attachments

• 0DE83D9C-D644-4D30-A858-2A9576F38542.jpg
    0DE83D9C-D644-4D30-A858-2A9576F38542.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 143
  • 5F30B68C-082E-49AA-A65E-DE4AE209BCCA.jpg
    5F30B68C-082E-49AA-A65E-DE4AE209BCCA.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 03E192B3-1484-4B80-885B-4D1E9C259158.jpg
    03E192B3-1484-4B80-885B-4D1E9C259158.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I was pleasantly surprised how well the color matches. Can’t wait to see it in full. There is a little more body work than first identified (my welding skills are to blame) so it won’t be done until the end of the month or early March. Not like I was going to be driving it, so damn cold here.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
looks good, always feel great when the paint goes on!

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Sand blasted some odds and ends while I wait. Think I am going with all black trim.

Attachments

• BB47D07C-4414-45F1-A4AF-F13705C11FF6.jpg
    BB47D07C-4414-45F1-A4AF-F13705C11FF6.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 67

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My first Bronco, a 69, was Lunar Green. It's long gone but I drove that Bronco for almost 8 years as my daily driver. Fast forward to 2016 and the 50th celebration - I painted my crawler to match my first Bronco as a tribute to it. Great vintage color. The color gets comments every time I take it out.

Here's the original with 20 years of fading!

69_Bronco_001_129988815.JPG

Here is fresh paint on the crawler.

IMG_2314_308097898.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
If you want anything powder coated or cerakoted let me know. Cant go wrong with black...

Thanks rydog, but I think I’m going to rattle can them with black hammer tone. At least I’ll see if that looks alright. Worst case I’ll just blast them again and start over.