• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jake Good's Bronco Rebuild

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
More questions...

What stock did you go with for the wishbone, 1.75" x .120 or .250? What are your lowers, 2" x .250? Are all 3 of your joints at the axle going to be the same size? If my observations are correct, you're running Johnny Joints all around on the lowers but bushings on the frame end of the wishbone.

I apologize for all the questions but you're motivating me! ;) I've been following a lot of folks who have taken the plunge with, "reportedly," positive results. I'm anxious to see how things turn out for you.

dieselbronco

Loc.
Tolland CT
Nice fab work Jake. I recently watched the ulamite adventure 2005 to see what you were running, and now I just noticed you in the wild horses catalog. I didn't realize how famous you are;:cool:. Anyway I was wondering what you are using to cut out your parts, they look very clean. I'm in the market for a plasma cutter.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Go back to Pirate, Jake. You are making the rest (most) of us look bad.

jk - nice work. Keep the pictures coming!

Eric

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Thanks for the kudos guys! It helps keep me motivated!

The wishbone is 1.75"x .235 DOM. All the lower joints are Currie Johnny Joints. The upper I went with a ballistic 3" joint because they stated they had more misalignment than the Curries. Given the quality of the ballistic part I wish I would have just run a Johnny Joint. Oh and yeah those are GM spring bushings on the front of the wishbone. I used alot of those in my furst suspension with good luck so I just stuck with what was woking. I do have a plan to swap them out for some delrin if they seem to flex too much.

The parts are cut with a cheap Harbor freight style band saw with a .25" blade. I am in love with the band saw. The only time I break out the plasma any more is when I can't get it to fit in the band saw! I just recently bought a craftsman wood bandsaw that I hope to convert to metal soon.
I then use a belt sander to smooth all the edges. I found what gives the nicest finish is once all the edges are sanded straight, I then turn the part long wise and run it that way all along the part.
Doing my best to try and build something I can be proud of for years to come. :)

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Oh and yeah those are GM spring bushings on the front of the wishbone. I used alot of those in my first suspension with good luck so I just stuck with what was woking. I do have a plan to swap them out for some delrin if they seem to flex too much.

Derlin? If the "rubber" bushings flex too much, you'll swap them out with "plastic?" Are you talking polyurethane? Please enlighten me.

DISREGARD! I just Googled it and read some comparisons between rubber, polyurethane and derlin. I had never heard of it. One company, UPR Products, states "you could think of delrin as being somewhere between poly bushings and spherical bearings." Sounds interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
yeah Delrin is much harder than poly. It's also kind of a self lubricating plastic. I have heard of a few people that think there is too much give in the poly for a wishbone but I haven't experienced it personally.

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
In the meantime I have also been scrounching up diff parts too. This is a good place for me to keep track of part numbers in case I need something later. This is the budget line of Strange Cases. They run about $230 for a centersection and is the same one in the front of the bronco. Aside from the Detroit locker the rest of the parts are from Currie.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also a picture of the "Izzy Locks" installed on the front ring gear. When I took apart the front end all of the ring gear bolts were loose. I read a post from Brad Lovell after KOH this year were they had a similar problem that cost them a finish. It also destroyed the locker, ring and pinion, center section and pinion support. The $90 that the locks cost is a small investment to protect all of that stuff in my opinion.

attachment.php

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Also stealing ideas from spidertrax too. I really liked the mount they built for the Lovell's Pro Lite truck. Mine is not as tall due to the portal but I think the concept came across. The bottoms all have small openings to let the midwest mud drain out as well. :p

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
I am speechless, what skills you have.. I REALLY enjoy seeing what you create out of metal. Amazing work and ideas.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Response from Mister Claus: ha ha

I’ll be running this spring/early summer….but ya I’m sure you all we be done b4 me. These frameoff, frame stretch, body stretch, suspension re-design, complete drivetrain swap damn builds…………………….take a while….besides I think he gets help with his every once in a while….with his build buddy Scott……;)

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
LOL! I do get some help from my buddy Scott and Jeremy so I definately have an advantage there. ;D Sometimes just to have help making a decision and moving forward is all it takes. Thats alot easier when you can bounce ideas off of someone real time! I am stealing atleast one of his ideas from his build.. :eek:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
LOL! I do get some help from my buddy Scott and Jeremy so I definately have an advantage there. ;D Sometimes just to have help making a decision and moving forward is all it takes. Thats alot easier when you can bounce ideas off of someone real time! I am stealing atleast one of his ideas from his build.. :eek:

heck yeah, take all the help you can get man..

Keep up the good work "I want your skills" lol ;)