• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gumby gets an overhaul! Supercharged Coyote, 6r80 & Atlas and much more!

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
First the specs:
1972 Bronco
302 mated to C4
Dana44 front with discs ;D
Ford 9" with drums :(

Ill keep updating this first post for new specs

As some of you know I just got her. Being that I live in a loft, I cant quite work on the EB at home. I envy everyone with their own garage. Thats the reason why I bought a Bronco in very good condition. I have to pay this shop a couple of bucks to use their space. They dont seem to understand my want to try stuff on my own. I am relatively mechanically inclined but dont know Ford very well at all. Been spending several days now reading up on what is what in there.

Why did I call my ride Gumbi? Just look at the color. Ive been very happy with her so far. Definitely a kickass honeymoon. Since I got her, I put about 1500 miles on it already. The first was the drive from Arkansas to NYC. Then a lot of local driving. I bought this baby to drive!!

Here she is before I got my modification bug:
DSC_0012.JPG

She is definitely a beauty and she took me all the way home. During the trip I stopped over at Duffs and got her new bumpers and sliders. All made od 1/4" steel.:

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

The front and rear bumpers look very naked at the moment. Tomorrow I will pick up my spare tire. The hilift jack is on its way as well as the 5g gas tank. Im still searching for a nice vintage stainless steel cooler. Ive been trolling ebay and craigslist non stop.;D

For the front I ordered the Warn 9.0 RC. Its nice and small and fits in the bumper without blocking the lines of the grill.

As far as sound system goes, I know some of you want pics but currently its mounted on a piece of plywood. Still trying to figure out the best way to do this. Basicaly its a JVC head unit. I kept the Alpine full range speakers in the door. Because I could not hear anything driving on the highway, I added a powerbass 600w amp and a 12" Sony Explod sub in the back. Details will follow. All I can say is that its loud enough to satisfy a Brooklyn hoodlum :cool: Being in a Bronco with a soft top we cant really ever get audiophile quality sound so I opted for loud. Besides expensive systems will get my top slashed and stolen.

Im impatiently waiting for a BC Bronco frontrunner serpentine system as well their vintage air unit. Te 105 degrees from Littlerock to knoxville will not be forgotten.

Being that I am 6'5 I sit quite high in the Bronco. When it rains I end up looking at that contraption they call a wiper. I ended up just rainexing the windshield and turning off the wipers completely. Besides, the wipers only ran one speed. plus I had no spray nozzles on the hood. I hope the wild horses synchronized wiper motor kit will solve that problem. I also ordered new nozzles. The reservoir tank is there and unused.

I also went to Autozone and bought just about anything having to do with organizing wires. Wires all over the place is a pet peeve of mine. That will be quite a little project in itself.

Ill be posting pics of all the upgrades as they are made.

Last edited:

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
I saw this one on eBay and wished I was closer to AR. That is a great color and I want to replicate the stripes - I think that is a hip way to add a lot of style without a lot of expense. Love the Bronco. Congrats!

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Beautiful ride, I love the color and stripes. What color is that top, is it grey?

Thanks man. Yes the top is gray. Its an STC top formerly kayline. Unfortunately they went belly up. I really like how these tops are built. I especially like it because it does not have that bump on top of the windshield.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Herman - this should be your build thread - make a signature and put a link to it so folks here can subscribe to the thread and see your upgrades as the evolution continues!

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Hey Herman,

Have yuou considered the Tuffy center console? The radio and be installed in it and it can be locked to "keep the honest, honest"

I have had several in my past heeps and plan to use one in my Bronco now as well.

Great looking rig.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I follewed your road trip thread, was a great post.

My sugestion is to find a few bronco owners close to you. I am sure one or a few of them would be happy to let you drive over and use there garage, I bet they would even help you do any work.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Good looking ride. Do you know what brand bumpers?

The bumpers are plate bumpers from James Duff. The rear bumper has the additional spare tire and gas tank mount. They both swing out of the way for easy tailgate access.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Hey Herman,

Have yuou considered the Tuffy center console? The radio and be installed in it and it can be locked to "keep the honest, honest"

I have had several in my past heeps and plan to use one in my Bronco now as well.

Great looking rig.

Its either going to be tuffy or a custom job. I ordered the blank dash from BC Broncos. With the A/C kit and vents its makes the dash kinda cluttered. Ill definitely have to relocate the stereo. Currently what came with the bronco is a steel horse unit. While the functionality of it is great, its very flimsy.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Its either going to be tuffy or a custom job. I ordered the blank dash from BC Broncos. With the A/C kit and vents its makes the dash kinda cluttered. Ill definitely have to relocate the stereo. Currently what came with the bronco is a steel horse unit. While the functionality of it is great, its very flimsy.

Very cool, sounds like you have a good plan.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Keep up the good work! Looks great and you're making some awesome mods on it.....being 6'5" sucks sometimes don't it ;D Move the seat closer to the floor, works wonders!

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Yeeeeehaahhhh!!! Wheels and tires arrived as did the gas can. The Bronco no longer rides bare-assed ;D Pics tomo I promise!!

msweb

Bronco Guru
I'm subscribed to this thread for sure! Great to see you on here again Herman and I can't wait to see you on that road trip to FL!

Wheels and tires or just the spare? Pictures man, we want pictures and we want them NOW!!! ;D