• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project "BOB - Big Orange Bronco" Wheeling pics addded

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really enjoying the build! I see you have some experts on board. Joe and Keith;D I just got some coil buckets from Keith for my 4 link. Don't worry I'll be asking a thousand questions once that begins!:eek:

Oh yea - couldn't do it without the expert help!! We're no experts on 4-Links but have definitely learned a lot while putting this one on. Let us know when you get into it!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bed Liner is On!!

We did our first shot of DIY bedliner yesterday evening after work. We used Liner X-Treeme (recommended by coachbarnes). I'm really happy with how it turned out - very easy to spray with the gun that comes in the kit and applies evenly. I also like how you can determine how much texture you want - anything from smooth to rough.

Keith had a "soft" carport and I bought the sides to make a temporary paint booth. It worked out really well and it'll come in handy for a lot of different applications between this build and Keith's buggy build.

My only regret is the color - I wish it were a darker gray so it wouldn't get dirty so quickly. We did the first coat without any rubber additive and were going for the smooth install on the bottom so that it is not too hard to clean the mud/dirt. My plan up to this point was to cover a lot of the imperfections with the liner, but the smooth application wasn't allowing me to build it up much and fill pinholes. The second coat we added just a little rubber additive hoping that it would help it "build up" to cover some of the rough edges. We were right - it did just what we were hoping and it's still not too rough for the bottom side.

I've got about an hour of wire wheeling to do on the inside of the tub and we're going to shoot it next. I've got to get my fuel lines and brake lines run and then the body will be on the chassis!!!! ;D

Here are some pics!

Attachments

• P1000419.JPG
    P1000419.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 146
  • P1000431.JPG
    P1000431.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 224
  • P1000430.JPG
    P1000430.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 187
  • P1000429.JPG
    P1000429.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 169
  • P1000427.JPG
    P1000427.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 201
  • P1000425.JPG
    P1000425.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 274
  • P1000421.JPG
    P1000421.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 130

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hey, where's your mask / respirator... Tsk...tsk...tsk... :)

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Great idea using that kind of a shelter for a paint booth! Going to have to remember that for use later. How thick can you lay the liner down?

Ben

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, where's your mask / respirator... Tsk...tsk...tsk... :)

Well, since you asked!!! We weren't sure how messy and stinky is was actually going to be and Keith had a chemical suit, respirator, and paint glasses from work so he was our test dummy. Once we figured out that it wasn't too messy and the smell wasn't too strong we took turns shooting it - after he took off his mask and glasses of course ;D .

Attachments

• P1000424.JPG
    P1000424.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 260
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great idea using that kind of a shelter for a paint booth! Going to have to remember that for use later. How thick can you lay the liner down?

Ben

Yea, less than $200 for a paint booth and it's going to come in handy on lots of other things too.

The thickest we got it is probably 1/4" in some of the seams where we had new floor pans. We actually took our fingers and pushed more in the seams to fill them and shot a thin shot over our finger marks to cover them up. For the majority of it though it's pretty thin - maybe 1/8" or less.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well, since you asked!!! We weren't sure how messy and stinky is was actually going to be and Keith had a chemical suit, respirator, and paint glasses from work so he was our test dummy. Once we figured out that it wasn't too messy and the smell wasn't too strong we took turns shooting it - after he took off his mask and glasses of course ;D .

LOL. That's cool.. Just givin you a hard time. It's coming together nicely for ya.. ;)

spennyluv

Loc.
bay area
You are sure doing top shelve work on the bronco looks awsome. I hope your doing a diesel or a 347 stroker or something wicked for the motor;D Keep up the good work

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We went ahead and got the inside of the tub done now also. There are a few thin spots that we didn't catch since it was dark when we did it, but overall I am very pleased with how it turned out. Now we'll see how durable it actually is!

Here are a few pics of the inside.

Attachments

• DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00691.jpg
    DSC00691.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC00695.jpg
    DSC00695.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 185

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You should be pleased.. Looks like some good work there man.. Smooth appearance, but definitely no stuff sliding on that.. ;D

KeninSC

Loc.
Greenville, SC
Looks Good!!

Ronnie (the PO) is gonna be jealous when he sees it again. He always wanted to have a stretched Bronco. He still has an old frame that he bought to build a stretch, but the racing started taking alot of his time.

P.S. Those old POS turbine wheels that were on it when you got it used to be mine, never would hold air.;D

Ken Eubanks

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ronnie (the PO) is gonna be jealous when he sees it again. He always wanted to have a stretched Bronco. He still has an old frame that he bought to build a stretch, but the racing started taking alot of his time.

P.S. Those old POS turbine wheels that were on it when you got it used to be mine, never would hold air.;D

Ken Eubanks

Ken - Good to see you on and checking out the the build. Have we met before? I cruise my wife's baby blue EB around town some and you may have seen it too. I got your email before the Carolina Broncos M&G but didn't meet you there. Good to meet another local Bronco owner!

That would be awesome for Ronnie to come check it out! I actually called him when I was looking for some 5.0 parts to complete the conversion.

Those wheels huh - can you believe a guy on Pirate drove down from Indiana to pick them up?

Robert

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
What prep work did you have to do before spraying the bed liner? Can you tell why this is better/not as good as some of the alternatives (quality-wise...) OH and btw, it looks fantastic!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What prep work did you have to do before spraying the bed liner? Can you tell why this is better/not as good as some of the alternatives (quality-wise...) OH and btw, it looks fantastic!

Considering all of the body work that we had to do in order to get to this point, A LOT in my case. If the body were in good shape to start with - not much. The directions are geared towards a pickup truck bed and say to scuff the paint up with at least 180 grit sandpaper. 180 is very fine so it doesn't need much scuffing. I had primed everything with a tractor type enamel primer and it was a flat and rough feel so I didn't do anything to it. On the inside where it was still blue I did scuff with a wire wheel.

I liked this kit because it came with the gun. Basically, $200 bought me the color of my choice, a spray gun, and enough of the mix to do the entire bottom and top of the tub. Other brands didn't provide enough mix for the same $. I have RhinoLiner in a truck and my wife's bronco and Line-X in another truck. My overall favorite still is Line-X but it wasn't in the budget! I'm very pleased with the outcome for $200 assuming that it holds up well.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lookin great Robert. i like that bed liner. Did you move your rear sus. back any?

Travis - Yes, the rear is moved back aprox 10". That's one reason why I had to extend the wheel wells so far back.

Wanna come help me on my hood????? ;D

Jacksoon

Hey Robert, The car looks great. Can't wait to get in it and try it out. BTW, the baby blue one looked great at the cookout the other day. I still can't figure out where you learned all you know about all this body work. See you soon.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just ordered a few odds and ends from Summitt and A&A (brake line tabs, AN fittings, etc.) that I need to get installed first and then the body will go on the chassis. The brake lines are bent and the fuel lines are routed already. I'm going to re-shoot the body with a black colored liner and less texture before it goes back on, but I've already got those materials just need the time to do it.

If all goes well, the body will be on in the next couple weeks. Work is crazy so not much time in the evenings - only on the weekends.