• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

elec. fuel pump/dual tanks questions

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
Just got my Holley red fuel pump. Going to remove the mech. pump and run hard lines. I have dual tanks so I have a few questions.

1. where should I mount the pump. I figure on the frame between the tanks. But I have the tank switch under the drivers seat. The instructions say the pump needs to be mounted below the fuel tank. I don't think the frame is lower then the tank.

2. with dual tanks, will I have a problem with the pump sucking fuel through the tank switch? it's just a normal manual switch made of brass.

does anyone have any pics of a similar setup they can share?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
kwspony said:
Just got my Holley red fuel pump. Going to remove the mech. pump and run hard lines. I have dual tanks so I have a few questions.

1. where should I mount the pump. I figure on the frame between the tanks. But I have the tank switch under the drivers seat. The instructions say the pump needs to be mounted below the fuel tank. I don't think the frame is lower then the tank.

2. with dual tanks, will I have a problem with the pump sucking fuel through the tank switch? it's just a normal manual switch made of brass.

does anyone have any pics of a similar setup they can share?
On a single line setup (No return line) I would mount it on the frame just up the line from the switch. It should be able to pull through the switch without any problems. If you do have trouble switch to the rear tank first and then once it is flowing switch to the front. (Once there is fuel to the pump it will pull even if it is above the fuel level)

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Holley recommends keeping the pump within 3 feet of the tank, and as low as possible. I recommend finding the place in the middle and going with a 3 way electric switch.
Tom

Why are you moving away from the mechanical pump thats been reliable for 30 years to an electric that will be less reliable?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds similar to the recommended mounting suggestions for carter pumps. they recommend as near the bottom of the tank as possible but no higher than 24 in above the tank and as close as possible I mounted mine on the frame halfway in between the main and aux tanks. I wouldnt mount it up line from the tank selector switch as I dont think these pumps suck as good as they push.

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
why change pumps? one thing is cleaning up the engine compartment. I don't like how the fuel line comes in to the pump then up from the pump across the top of the motor and then behind the carb. The edelbrock fuel inlet is on the back side of mine. Plus, it gets hot under the hood and with all the hose I think it suffers from alittle vapor lock. It doesn't run well in the summer. It would also be another theft deterent having a hidden switch.

Broncnaz. if you put the pump before the switch how do you change tanks? Do you have a pump for each tank?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Socal Tom said:
Holley recommends keeping the pump within 3 feet of the tank, and as low as possible. I recommend finding the place in the middle and going with a 3 way electric switch.
Tom

Why are you moving away from the mechanical pump thats been reliable for 30 years to an electric that will be less reliable?
That sounds like a good plan as well. Less likely to have problems there from the shorter run.

A lot will depend on the pump itself. The High Pressure one I use for my EFI works fine with a 6 foot or so run from the rear tank up through an electric switch mounted in the same place as the manual one was. I ran it that way for close to a year before I pulled the aux. tank and all of the extra stuff. (switch, extra fuel hose, etc.) It probably only has a 4 foot run now.

asmith140

Contributor
fuel pump valve

I'll send you some pic.'s of mine. Originally had it mounted in side of frame rail between tanks, but on extremely hot days and crawling it would sometimes vapor lock after turning it off. I even had a heat shield between flowmasters and pump and valve. I now have it mounted on rail outside of frame with the pump between the tanks (L H rear wheel) Stays cool and its tight enough against the rail that I don't have any clearance issues with tires or derbis
Art

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
thanks Art, I would appriciate the pics. My main concern is the tank valve and the pump sucking gas through it from the tanks. I sent Holley an email to get their opinion too. I run a single exhaust so mounting on the inside of the frame near the tanks is probably the best way to go.

ironhorse

Loc.
Troy, ID
I have used a Holley "red" for about 15 years and it has been a great fuel pump. One nice thing about the electric is that if you run a tank dry, you don't have to crank the engine to get fuel up to the carb again. Just switch the tank, turn the key, and wait until you hear the pump build up pressure. I recently converted to efi, and moved the holley down to the frame back by the rear tank to use as a pusher pump. When I was running a carb, I had the pump in the engine compartment, bolted onto the front of the fender well, just below the level of the carb. I know this isn't the best place, but I was a lazy kid when I first installed the pump, and it has never had any trouble pulling fuel up to that level, even without a prime. If you mount yours down on the frame somewhere, downstream of the selector valve, you will have no problems.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
kwspony said:
why change pumps? one thing is cleaning up the engine compartment. I don't like how the fuel line comes in to the pump then up from the pump across the top of the motor and then behind the carb. The edelbrock fuel inlet is on the back side of mine. Plus, it gets hot under the hood and with all the hose I think it suffers from alittle vapor lock. It doesn't run well in the summer. It would also be another theft deterent having a hidden switch.

Broncnaz. if you put the pump before the switch how do you change tanks? Do you have a pump for each tank?

I guess after thinking about it my pump is mounted after the switch. But my pump is still mounted in between the 2 tanks not that it would make a differance just a good spot to mount it because theres nothing else there and no heat sources. So I guess I can eat my previous post