• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6 Point Cage welding

STalon89

So I finally got my cage. Went with the bronco bob 6 point tall man. Soon I am going to start poking around for someone to weld this thing up. There are a couple guys local who can tig and are good/pricey, but Id like to have some basic knowledge on what typical cost is to do it.

Anyone care to share how much they paid?

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Any welder that is worth a damn should get at least fifty an hour possibly more depending on where you are.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is it show quality? You probably don't need TIG. A good MIG welder will do quality work and it will go a lot faster.

How complete is the truck it is going into? If you have nice paint and upholstery and the like there will be significant time removing, covering, protecting this stuff. And that adds to the price. If you have a bare shell that doesn't need to be protected from weld splatter it will be a lot cheaper. Just that difference can be the difference of costing $200 or $1000+. For the same person doing the same work.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would not pay someone to tig weld it unless its a full race cage. Just too expensive due to the amount of time involved.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It should be able to be done in 4 hours if your top is off. Most of those cages are not notched and that takes as long as the welding.

MIG is how 99% of people get them welded.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the standard Bronco Bob 6 pt and it dint take that long to mig weld it. My ex GF son (trained welder) did most of the welding and then i welded in more bungs, tabs and blended all the welds before powdercoat.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

you should be able to find a local welder to do it for you, but think ahead before you start welding so you can get what you want the first time. think speaker mounting, lighting, windshield supports, speaker / power wire access etc.

BTW, my powder coating guy is local. not too far from you if you want to go that way. http://www.gspowdercoating.com/index_018.htm

Hank

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
you are just showing off now!! ^^ ;)

OP
OP
STalon89

STalon89

I have the standard Bronco Bob 6 pt and it dint take that long to mig weld it. My ex GF son (trained welder) did most of the welding and then i welded in more bungs, tabs and blended all the welds before powdercoat.

View attachment 443730

View attachment 443731

View attachment 443732

you should be able to find a local welder to do it for you, but think ahead before you start welding so you can get what you want the first time. think speaker mounting, lighting, windshield supports, speaker / power wire access etc.

BTW, my powder coating guy is local. not too far from you if you want to go that way. http://www.gspowdercoating.com/index_018.htm

Hank

That came out awesome. Thanks for that info. Do you recall what you paid to PC it?

jmangi62

Bronco Guru

View attachment 443730

View attachment 443731

View attachment 443732

Hank
^^^^^ Nice cage. I have the Bronco Bob cage and love it. We mig welded it and it came out fine, no need to go tig, just my .02. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 72

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio

View attachment 443730

View attachment 443731

View attachment 443732

Hank
I like them blended welds. That is a lot of work. Looks real nice. Ken

OP
OP
STalon89

STalon89

I was just thinking that as well. Curious on the tool you used to clean them up. It looks great.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mostly i started with a radius edge flap disc to get to some sort of a rounded profile. From there I went to flat flap discs, then on to finer grit 3 and 2 inch discs, flat files, rat files, and a couple cases of Yuengling....

i probably put 30-40 hours total into cleaning the welds. i got more efficient as i went and it was good therapy. it really wasnt too bad of a job, and yes i would do it again as the finished product was worth the effort.

Hank