• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ben's 73 Build Thread

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Question for you all, anyone have issues with air trapped in your cooling system? After 700 miles, had an issue with The rear cylinders getting hot. Needless to say, motors coming out, I'm thinking of stroking it since I've got to go through the bottom end.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Question for you all, anyone have issues with air trapped in your cooling system? After 700 miles, had an issue with The rear cylinders getting hot. Needless to say, motors coming out, I'm thinking of stroking it since I've got to go through the bottom end.

Yes, very common problem with the C2 Corvette, and others. Apparently, right front, or left front (forget which) needs to be jacked up high to properly burp or purge the system. Not always, but usually. I forget the proper size, but another remedy is a small hole drilled in the t-stat.

BTW, beautiful ride! May I ask where you found the boot for the twin sticks? They look perfect (less rigid) than I've seen. Thx!

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

BTW, beautiful ride! May I ask where you found the boot for the twin sticks? They look perfect (less rigid) than I've seen. Thx!

Thanks, we made the boot from scratch. Basically made a ring and sewn some leather.

boonz28

Contributor

Man, I'm really sorry to hear this Ben, i know the pain of having to pull an engine shortly after a fresh rebuild.
You said it got hot, what exactly happened to cause you to pull the bottom end back apart?

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Evidently there is an issue with small block fords where air gets trapped in the block and will overheat a cylinder. Gets hot, piston swells, then galls the cylinder. I've built dozen of small block fords and have never had this issue, nor even heard of it. In talking with my machinist, he says this happens more than you think. Enough so that I guess there is a technical service bulliten on it. Now that it has happened I bought the coolant tool from robinaire, and am going to be very paranoid getting coolant into this thing.

boonz28

Contributor
Yeah i bet, man that stinks! I had a piston seize up and break on my last build (also ran good at first and then went bad). No real indication as to why and my machinist was also unsure. I've probably got somewhere close to a thousand miles on this second rebuild and so far everything seems to be good. I hope i don't run into similar problems.

Did you seize or break a piston then?
It sounds like you already tore the engine back apart, if so how much did it tear up?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I had the same thing happen to the red ranger we built. It is back in our shop and about to go home with a fresh motor. This one started by cooking #2. My machinist said using stock pistons this is more common to happen vs aftermarket due to the friction preventers in new piston designs, they cannot hot and swell but less likely to gall. Because of this, even if the motor is well within specs we will now always cut them .030 over and put in new pistons. Fortunately for me this is the only motor we reused the stock pistons in and the only motor we had an issue with. Live an learn I suppose and education never comes cheap. I have the robin air tool but it was broken at the time I loaded this motor, it has since been repaired and will be used on every motor from here on out.

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Did you seize or break a piston then?
It sounds like you already tore the engine back apart, if so how much did it tear up?

Not too sure, haven't pulled it out yet. I am hoping to in the next week or so. I'll let you know the details when I get it out.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sorry to hear this Ben, I experienced something similar with my 68 build. Ended up pulling a motor with a few 100 miles on it, Certainly no fun at all. Machinist could not figure out why the cylinder walls were scored... But he made good on it.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Wow, sorry to hear about that misfortune Ben! That really SUCKS to put it mildly. Well hopefully it goes back together this next time without incident!

Happy holidays and a healthy new year Amigo for you the family and the Bronco! ;D

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Back in the saddle! Motor is back in, now time to drive the wheels off of it! So happy to have it back together.

IMG_3289.jpg IMG_3290.jpg

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Truly a thing of beauty! Great work, Ben! Howard in beautiful west Michigan