• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto parts store preference

Bill R

As a general rule, is one auto parts store a better source for EB replacement parts than the others? All or most of the national chains have stores in my area.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Depends on what parts. Some parts I would only get from our vendors. For anything else I use napa or summit.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I always just search until I find the store that has it in stock...straight six parts are not as readily available as 302 stuff

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've had some places where Advanced Auto did good. Typically I do Orielly. But the old NAPA can do good when others fail. Couple of times I needed a belt just the right length and only NAPA could deliver. But generally costs the most. If I really know exactly what I want, shop rockauto. But you have to watch shipping. Amazon can get me a lot of parts with free shipping. But you need to know what you want. Shop part numbers. Summit is good if over$100.

edit- Generic parts. Vender for a Bronco specific item. Thankfully those are fairly minimal. It is amazing how many service parts are generic and can be found at most supply houses. Items like a turn signal lens, that is a bronco vender item. But the bulb behind that is a parts store item.

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Typically, WH's, O'Reilly's, NAPA, and Summit in no particular order. Tom's is a close 2nd to WH's, but have bought from the Graveyard and Duff's depending on the Product.

Kind of depends on what the parts is... to determine where I go

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sometimes who is behind the counter makes all the difference

True That, as my son says...

With the exception of most of the Bronco Vendors...

Sometimes with my 56 years of Living, I know more about what I need than the guy who is paid to know behind that counter.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I do most of my shopping online and narrow it down to a store nearby, usually Autozone or NAPA. When I go I’m prepared with part numbers and prices from the website.

That way I can just give the pimple faced kid behind the counter the part number. He doesn’t have to say “Is that a full size Bronco or a Bronco II?” and spend 10 minutes searching...

Nothing Special

I go to NAPA so often that they know me by name (my wife thinks my going there is like Norm walking into Cheers). But a really nice thing about that is they give me a shop discount on almost all of my purchases (an argument for going to one place rather than bouncing between many).

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I typically do Autozone. My experience has been that it's more relevant to find someone that's knowledgeable and / or into Broncos because its typically not an easy search and find for parts.

Nothing Special

....My experience has been that it's more relevant to find someone that's knowledgeable and / or into Broncos because its typically not an easy search and find for parts.

Good point. Decades ago I went to Champion because the local store employed people who knew what they were talking about. In contrast the local Big Wheel (the other chain that was really near-by) seemed to employ the people that got fired from McDonalds. But then that Champion closed (they lost their lease due to urban renewal) and the next closest Champion seemed to hire the people that Big Wheel fired

I don't know that either of those chains are still around (they aren't near me). But the point is that if you find a store with good people, that's huge.

KeithKinPhx

Advance Auto Parts has lately been offering 30% off online in my area with free delivery and a rewards program. The rewards has been if you spend over $30 you get $5 off your next purchase over $20. The rewards stacks with the 30% off code.
Bought an oil pump, motor mounts, starter solenoid, disc brakes, etc all on separate orders to roll the rewards.
If I need something today O'Reillys seems to be lowest price. They haven't got a clue about the part you should buy.

Last edited:

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I have an advance auto right down the street and buy much of my stuff on line. Good for a minimum 15% off and I can pick it up at the store if it is in stock. Plus the speed Perks gets me another $5 off $20. Need a battery for the lawn tractor? Look it up at advanced auto, see what is in stock, buy with the discount and drive down and pick it up. My guys there are pretty good about chasing parts too. I was trying to figure out a rotor I had on the back of my bronco with welded on brackets for conversion so it could have been anything. It was likely one of a few possibilities I could identify based on my internet search. They said "Bring it down and we will compare what is in stock and see if we can find it".

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like to buy my parts from wherever the auto repair businesses get theirs. Those guys hate come-backs because of sub-standard parts.
Most of the time that means going to CARQUEST or NAPA.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm like Pete ''fatboy'' I have a good Carquest where I TRADE mostly .. Back when I had my parts store Travis sold his Carquest & he was just playing around for a few years Well he came into my store & ask me if I'd set him up on a Employee discount .. ''SO I DID.'' He didn't like paying wholesale for his parts he wanted to buy at Jobber price. SO After I got out of the parts business & Travis had bought his old store back. I went into his store & ask remember when .. SO I get to buy my parts at jobber from Travis Carquest .. Sure helps . His employees didn't like it for a long time but they've finally understand & I don't get the price raised on myself.
ALSO Travis is one of those guys who will say leave it with me I'll figure it out .
& I like to search the internet for better deals . EBAY & Amazon. Parts Geek.com
& as far as Bronco Pacific parts I like to ask the TEAM MEMBERS HERE ON THIS SIGHT .. SUCH A WONDERFUL Amount of knowledge here on the CLASSIC .

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
No need to look it up, I took one of my Autolight 45's into Autozone the other day, handed it to the guy and said, "I'd like eight of these please". Walked out a happy customer for $16.72.

I also like NAPA and Baxter's.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
For local stuff its Carquest or NAPA. But with Carquest being sold to advance auto parts i use less of them. In general I don't buy any parts unless I know the part I am buying first. I will spend allot of my time to find the right maker and the right part number and then decide who I will buy it from.

I don't do the year and model game just too many screwups in the system from the people to the cheap parts.

If I have the time I buy on line at rockauto.com for the most part. They list the same part with different options so I am not stuck with some cheap ass house brands. Bronco specific parts I use a variety of our Bronco vendors except one I will never buy from. Pricing, shipping and taxes all come into play with Bronco vendors.

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
I like Amazon. Parts Geek.com Rockauto but if I need it now I o'reilly . CJ Pony parts for some Bronco parts