• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How many of you guys are running 2 batteries?

RPM289

I have space in the back to run 2 batteries just wondering if i need them or just overkill? I am running GM 1 wire Alt and painless harness only 2 100w off road lights so far LOL. Plans are for 4 more lights up top and marine sound system.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Two Optimas under the hood.
One on each side.
Manual switch on both.
Winch wired to auxiliary/drivers side battery.
3G but going to 4G with Explorer swap.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
batteries are great for short term power......really your charging system should be able to handle the load. I dont see the point of 2 batteries. I too am adding a sterio........about 3 times the power my alternator will even put out. Should i add more batteries? NO.....should i add a bigger alternator? YES.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Used to but found with modern alternators it is really not necessary. It takes a Lot of winching to need 2

Tru dat,

But I use mine so I can have lights and stereo all night in camp and still be able switch over to the auxiliary battery to crank up in the morning. Then once running I bring the dead battery back on line so the 3G can charge it back up.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What's the % you actually use the Bronco on trails?
And this is all about you, and not for bragging rights.
Probably less than 2%.

Most Bronco builds are more show than go.
Sure, there's the "salvage title" that runs the "Dusy" but, most Bronco owners are watching for paint damage.

Anyway, why do you need two batteries?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
RPM289,

I've always wanted to run two batteries to jump start myself but I always park backed in, facing downhill so if and when I do have a dead battery I popstart the old girl and I'm good.

Blubuckaroo,

I live to go camping with my Bronco, even if it's just car camping off PCH. But I think my license plate frame says it all...

Now can I get this pic to post? Nope! Way too much effort before dinner. I've flipped it, rotated it and still it's dinner time.

:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 42

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
2 Optimas mounted in the rear corners, just inside the tailgate. I run a 200+ amp alt also. Always good to have redundancy parts and power options when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
RPM289,

I've always wanted to run two batteries to jump start myself but I always park backed in, facing downhill so if and when I do have a dead battery I popstart the old girl and I'm good.

Blubuckaroo,

I live to go camping with my Bronco, even if it's just car camping off PCH. But I think my license plate frame says it all...

Now can I get this pic to post? Nope! Way too much effort before dinner. I've flipped it, rotated it and still it's dinner time.

An extra battery for camping is a great idea! You can run a shower, lights, and electronics on it. Sort of like an RV.
Just make sure you install a battery isolator on the camp battery so you can still start the engine after watching movies and playing games all weekend.;)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I used to but not now. now if I was out camping, running lights or whatever I would have two for sure. kind of like having two in the boat a must have

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just one battery for me in the Bronco but I don't winch or even have a radio. Two in the pontoon starts after being at the island too long with the stereo cranking...

And here's your pic right side up.

RPM289,

Blubuckaroo,

NV3pomgm0_UqChdmDc2N-0Ls-g59YbrZPjdHWVg_iy6LYHKfPmjtW-sZ3NPUYqwteBBEU8MKdUT5vfAytY5oXqKxZ4sDYMvrC1ZxiImek4Ffe-TnbIE3YHkIqt-FQrBV7kZqze61jjfLgrdSDG3eP9xSZhmAFi-TNTDUbX_gE6cFbvMZVLMd18kV5NEuda-uXFaOSLeIzWYX8KHyCT2NxRIT-jAY2-BQXNNanTQDXypEs0Qb2j-jpO6whKW_Qikrsi8L_a1g4mNZ109sGr3PyFkiXFJ8iZ2J6GrZeEXcrLF8Du3-Dd1pffYeA4DeEAdpHuCaPNvR7gTPq4cO4tv0MFQ20o7VoRcRCjHKxWbR9QYglRwGbhhGBstZNcvGwLQGXzy1HmsUDgoJnfQeUD7i-YQnpfVGmK0KEdZNUFRKSkh7mJO5zdJSWje-baH4qBVzaN6_q4vw7D9Pt4x_11G5CtbscxYukD--E1vXysgdsaCF4GIx0JD6lo-L14VGiPmUQw1GZCpqozZz4gCE0m7cg6xaTaqwuAtSWezliip6Kn00N5PQzvDl68MT-dF_QI-je8ZewWb3oGli-lP-MFs3vROCAroDzmCGGliv3-zDCjJM77bwwdxlD5z-mu_Rhd_xpfo1=w478-h358-no

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Well, I was thinking of just one BIG battery, but this thread reminded me that part of what I'm building for is overlanding/expedition style travel and camping so a battery or two in the back may be a much better idea to have.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I've got 2 Interstates under the hood, I have lots of lights, winch, stereo and future plans call for a air compressor and other goodies, only running a 100amp alt for now, may switch to a bigger one later. You can't really see them but one is in the original spot and the other one is on the dr side just like the original one. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
R

RPM289

I do alot of outings with kids at church so extra power if I'm lighting up the fields to play ball or whatever they need to see. I was not thinking when i got the GM alt no idea what output is on it but may not be enough. :(

trekgurl

I have a 3g alternator,,, but my thought is two batteries. I can understand not wanting the clutter, and the weight and I understand running a larger alternator but who's going to run their engine if your playing to stereo for a party, or running lights, or camping stuff when your in a camp ground.

My stereo has only 600 watts and it puts a pretty good draw on the single battery with the engine not running. Any competition stereo freaks running high amp systems run multiple batteries. Bass boats, boats for offshore 2 or more batteries. You better.

Guess I'm on the more than one battery side fence.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well my little camp trailer has two 40Watt solar panels on the roof. It keeps the trailer battery charged even when it's cloudy or under a tree. All that and the controller cost less than another battery.
The only maintenance is a little Windex and a paper towel.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well my little camp trailer has two 40Watt solar panels on the roof. It keeps the trailer battery charged even when it's cloudy or under a tree. All that and the controller cost less than another battery.
The only maintenance is a little Windex and a paper towel.

I talked to these guys at SEMA... I liked their products, but cannot justify a need right now. :p

https://www.korrlighting.com.au/product-category/solar-power-batteries/

Yes you can buy cheaper stuff at Harbor Freight... But these guys products are in the Outback, where phones don't work.
They have an office down in SoCal.

What you do battery wise depends, when, where, and how you use your Rig.

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I did dual batteries on my 77, Granted this was almost 10 years ago (gasp!)

I got out more and did activities where it was handy to have dual batteries. (Affordable) Portable solar panels were not on the market.

I have a company local that made the cables and sold the battery isolator kit. A buddy had a sheet metal shop that designed and made the dual battery tray. (Since then he closed shop) When you add up the cost, and as many times that I drained the Aux battery down, or had to jump myself (yes I could with a flick of a switch) was it worth it $$? My Wife the Accountant would say no, but I am a what if guy? So it was justifiable in my book.

Attachments

• Batt6.jpg
    Batt6.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Batt5.jpg
    Batt5.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Batt4.jpg
    Batt4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0308.jpg
    DSCN0308.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0307.jpg
    DSCN0307.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 46

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I run 2 batteries because back in 1980, I got hung up in the Floyd Knobs of Indiana, winch killed the battery and truck would not crank!!! Cost $130 to get an off road wrecker to get me out!!! Alcohol was involved, however I have had 2 batteries with isloator since (and more alcohol) !!!;D;D;D