• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Plug & Play Axle Housing!

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Nvrstuck-

If you aren't jumping it, then you will be fine without a truss. These can handle a serious beating just as is, certainly more than even an HD F150 axle, which is still really only a 1/2 ton housing.

I'm not sure what you are asking for about the slugs? Are you talking about manual locking hubs vs drive flanges on a FF axle?

Thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Drive flanges and then blank slugs/covers so I can move it around in 4wd when unhooking for camping or to unhook it after flat towing...

I've bent three F150 housings without ever jumping... hence the need for your housing. :)

I called and got some good info from your shop- thanks!

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Great, glad you called!

Sounds like a E-locker, or ARB Diff locker might be what you need. Those you can click a button to lock both wheels, and do easy drifts and doughnuts or general off-roading.

Then with the same click of a button you can unlock to be open and drive easy in parking lots and on the freeway, also doesn't wear tires out so fast.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yup, been running front D44 ARB since Feb '87 and have progressed from 1st Gen rear ARB in 'early '97 consistently till now with 35 spline - just tore one in half in August. They treated me well as ARB always does!

Still debating about flat towing is all. I think D60 hubs with drive flanges will be strong enough so long as the wheel hub is forged- do you agree?

Once again- thanks!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Are your forged Hubs the same dimensions as stock (flange to WMS)?
so when I get two of yours I can grab a stock one, redrill it for a spare?

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
The exact measurement from Flange to WMS varies a little between the different lug patters of full float hubs, but they are all pretty close, w/in about an inch.

For a spare you would want to order a 3rd of the same forged hub. The spacing that you are talking about is custom on those due to the brake rotor that is primarily used for 5 lug axles.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Ok, sounds good. I need to start tearing things apart and ordering!
Thanks again.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Dan,
As Clarance has already asked, do you have any HD style stock axles like the ones found under a 77 bronco? I believe it's referred to as the fish-mouth? I have a 77 rear axle but it has the smaller factory perches. I'm thinking of getting a newer axle with bigger perches and all already welded up and ready for paint.

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Crawdad-

The only 9" housing we offer complete as a bolt-in stock replacement is for the 66-77 bronco axles. If your axle is out of a 77 then this one should be a fit, but if it is like a half year change, or an oddball, then you might just want to order up our semi-float housing here (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1981.html) and then get the perches separate and weld them yourself to make sure they fit your spring width.

Hope that helps!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Customer service and standing behind their company name and reputation like nothing I've ever experienced... Long story short, Dan and his company have stepped up big time in my case--standing behind their product!

RuffStuff...

Thanks again Dan.