• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco paint job

Nev7

Hi folks,
Can someone give me an idea how much it would cost to professionally paint a Bronco project - tub and everything else that typically gets painted on a full restoration? Thanks.

Dlish

Anywhere from $500 at Macco to $8,000+ for a perfect restoration.

Getting perfect body alignment, the doors etc, takes a ton of time. If you are having everything taken apart to be painted it is going to be labor intensive, before any materials are even factored in.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Labor costs vary a lot in different parts of the country and much of the cost of a paint job is labor.
Predicting how much it costs without knowing if you live in a high cost area such as California (which also has regulations that add to the cost) or a low labor cost area is impossible.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A straight no pitted rust in original paint I will paint for $5,000, a rusted out with several coats of paint and rotten door post, rockers, and so on I would charge $10,000.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
This was around $10K... I painted the engine compartment.

New hood, new left fender, cut holes for marker lights, prep used grill and Right fender. Paint hardtop, and raptor line inside. Had to replace one door skin. Replace both rockers. Paint grill argent and install TBP stickers on FORD on tailgate. New glass in hardtop, windshield, and pass door.
Test fitting and adjusting the body mounts... He spent many hours on it and gave me a very reasonable price for it all.

It is not a simple process... Mine was a roller that had been taken apart.

Attachments

• 6931.jpg
    6931.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20170616_113532429_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170616_113532429_HDR.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 331

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
After replacing the sheetmetal I replaced. The primer, filler, sealer, seam sealer, paint, solvent, hardener, single stage solid color paint, bead liner, metal prep, sponges, sand paper, masking tape and paper cost me about $1500.00 in materials only, about 5 years ago. This counts no labor, hundreds of hours of labor or replacement parts. This is just prep and shoot by myself. This was painted apart in my back yard body diseemble but still on a fully loaded chassis.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Anywhere from $500 at Macco to $8,000+ for a perfect restoration.

Getting perfect body alignment, the doors etc, takes a ton of time. If you are having everything taken apart to be painted it is going to be labor intensive, before any materials are even factored in.

Yup!!!!!!!

Cortez

Bronco Guru
MAaco quoted me 3500 for their high end job, metallic paint and clear coat, then wet sanded and buffed.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
We started at $15k and went from there. Show quality can be $30k+ easily.

Even at $5k your only getting 40 hours of labor and cheap paint. 40 hours doesn't get a lot done.

An $800 Maaco paint job barely covers wiping the big dirt chunks off spending 30 minutes taping off and spraying with the cheapest paint possible. It is surely to fail in a year or two and flat look like crap! I used to buy paint that was $800 a gallon, not including the primer, filler, or the clear....

If cheap is you budget do it yourself in your driveway. It takes 12 rattle cans to paint a Bronco and will honestly look as good and last about as long as a Maaco special.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
A straight no pitted rust in original paint I will paint for $5,000, a rusted out with several coats of paint and rotten door post, rockers, and so on I would charge $10,000.

/\/\This/\/\ is why mine is still primer and likely always will be, WH Rally 2000 seats, Duff aluminum door panels, custom painted dash, a/c, full Autometer instrumebntation, tons and tons of interior upgrades, and a damn fine suspension set up, with a healthy Windsor and a straight f'n body too......but with prices like these I will probably never paint it....

Sigh.....sux being a poor eb owner, lol.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
I did the rattle can at first by myself in the garage and it looked good enough for me and most people couldn't tell. Doing the paint more legit right now and i'm easily $1500 in materials and countless hours of labor right now...

legit paint (not final wet sanded and buffed yet)
20180609_171904.jpg

Krylon
dscf1070.jpg

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
After replacing the sheetmetal I replaced. The primer, filler, sealer, seam sealer, paint, solvent, hardener, single stage solid color paint, bead liner, metal prep, sponges, sand paper, masking tape and paper cost me about $1500.00 in materials only, about 5 years ago. This counts no labor, hundreds of hours of labor or replacement parts. This is just prep and shoot by myself. This was painted apart in my back yard body diseemble but still on a fully loaded chassis.

that's about what I have in mine, painted a few months ago

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

/\/\This/\/\ is why mine is still primer and likely always will be, WH Rally 2000 seats, Duff aluminum door panels, custom painted dash, a/c, full Autometer instrumebntation, tons and tons of interior upgrades, and a damn fine suspension set up, with a healthy Windsor and a straight f'n body too......but with prices like these I will probably never paint it....

Sigh.....sux being a poor eb owner, lol.

Which is why I have concluded I will either do the Rustoleum / yacht paint method or get a cheap gun and do it myself.
Running around in primer will get old.

Kbpony

I have about $1500 in my home job so far, and I still have the doors and half cab to do. Probably another couple hundred plus the stripes I’d like to put on. Not a show truck, but looks decent. A good gun and good lighting go a long way toward a good job. Good luck with yours.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Which is why I have concluded I will either do the Rustoleum / yacht paint method or get a cheap gun and do it myself.
Running around in primer will get old.

Been running around in gray or ruddy Brown primer for 30 years.

When does it start getting old?

Lol

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
I have 4k in mine and did 85% of the body work before taking it to the shop...

OP
OP
N

Nev7

Many thanks to all who posted. It looks like the $8,000 that I’m quoted for professional painting with quality materials is right in the ballpark.