• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sheet metal welder input needed

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
So I have some OT coming up at work next month and am thinking about getting a welder for some body repairs I have. I have read countless threads on here about sheet metal size welders and think I have narrowed it down to these three
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-handler-140-mig-wire-welder
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-140-Amp-Weld-Pak-140-HD-MIG-Wire-Feed-Welder-with-Magnum-100L-Gun-Sample-spools-of-MIG-Wire-and-Flux-Wire-115V-K2514-1/100670934
https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html
It seems most on here really like the Hobart. Any thoughts on the Lincoln? My BNL and FNL both have bigger welders I can use for heavier stuff and I would like to have a welder set up with .023 wire that I can use at the house when the barn doesn’t have room or they are using their welders for other stuff. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
pick the one that has variable feed and heat controls, not set positions.

I have an older Lincoln setup gas and .023 wire and 2 other welder setup 1with flux core and the other .035 and gas.

buy the biggest bottle you can i think its a 125 , I have a 30 or 40 it sucks to run out and it does often.

chuck1022

Contributor
So I have some OT coming up at work next month and am thinking about getting a welder for some body repairs I have. I have read countless threads on here about sheet metal size welders and think I have narrowed it down to these two.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-handler-140-mig-wire-welder
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-140-Amp-Weld-Pak-140-HD-MIG-Wire-Feed-Welder-with-Magnum-100L-Gun-Sample-spools-of-MIG-Wire-and-Flux-Wire-115V-K2514-1/100670934

It seems most on here really like the Hobart. Any thoughts on the Lincoln? My BNL and FNL both have bigger welders I can use for heavier stuff and I would like to have a welder set up with .023 wire that I can use at the house when the barn doesn’t have room or they are using their welders for other stuff. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

I'm looking for a welder too, I have decided on the Lincoln Electric MP210. It does 110 V and 210 V. It's $1,450, what Lincoln Electric does a $499 rebate once or twice a year. I'm waiting for that rebate then I'm buying that one

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I would say that Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are at the top of the list, for me anyways, I own one or more machines from each of those companies.
I know that there are some knockoff brands out there that are getting pretty good reviews as well, might check out Eastwood as well. You might look on Craigslist and even Ebay as well. I have bought used equipment from my local welding shop as well. Sometimes you can get a pretty sweet deal on good used equipment. .023 is what I used on all my sheet metal and seemed to work very well. I definitely recommend sticking with shielding gas and staying away from flux cored wire. I know it works for some folks but the solid wire comes out a lot cleaner in my opinion. I would also add that whatever you decide on make sure you can buy consumables for it easily.
Good luck with your purchase!

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
I've got the Lincoln 140T MIG and love it... I've replaced rear quarters, wind shield mount with both cowls, apron, wheel wells, patches and plugged many holes with no issues. For $500 bucks it's a great choice for sheet metal work (A bottle of argon/CO2 mix makes it easier) ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Of the 2 choices given, the Hobart. It has 5 taps instead of just 4 on the Lincoln. --revised-- Since you added the Eastwood, I would pick that one.

There is a big difference in machines between the Tapped and Variable voltage output. The tapped has notches on the voltage output. Distinct settings. The variable setting lets you dial it in. B is too little but C is too much? You can vary the output (even while welding) to dial it in just right. The tapped machines, you have to stop welding, move a notch, start welding again. The 4 or 5 settings is a step above the basic machines that just have a hi/low switch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I would say that Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are at the top of the list, for me anyways, I own one or more machines from each of those companies.
I know that there are some knockoff brands out there that are getting pretty good reviews as well, might check out Eastwood as well. You might look on Craigslist and even Ebay as well. I have bought used equipment from my local welding shop as well. Sometimes you can get a pretty sweet deal on good used equipment. .023 is what I used on all my sheet metal and seemed to work very well. I definitely recommend sticking with shielding gas and staying away from flux cored wire. I know it works for some folks but the solid wire comes out a lot cleaner in my opinion. I would also add that whatever you decide on make sure you can buy consumables for it easily.
Good luck with your purchase!

I will definitely be using shielding gas. I have been looking on Craigslist but haven’t found much locally. I will be going by the welding supply store next week and see if they have any used welders as well. I have looked at the Eastwood welder but wonder how hard it will be to get parts? I know the local weld supply store sells the other three welders you mentioned so it seems it would be as easy as going there to get consumables vs. ordering them off the Eastwood website.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Of the 2 choices given, the Hobart. It has 5 taps instead of just 4 on the Lincoln.

There is a big difference in machines between the Tapped and Variable voltage output. The tapped has notches on the voltage output. Distinct settings. The variable setting lets you dial it in. B is too little but C is too much? You can vary the output (even while welding) to dial it in just right. The tapped machines, you have to stop welding, move a notch, start welding again. The 4 or 5 settings is a step above the basic machines that just have a hi/low switch.

That is a good point. The one Eastwood sells has variable settings so that is a plus. https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

Jamie Chriss

I have the Hobart 210 that runs on both 110 and 220. For the most part for light duty work the Hobart 140 is a great choice, it has the same features as the 210 and is well built, but if you are planning anything bigger the 210 has upside! I
helped out a fellow EB owner this past weekend weld on a steering box plate and a stabilizer bracket, he didn't have 220 service, I struggled to get the metal hot enough using 110. But for basic light duty welding and sheet metal work I could have done my entire body using 110 service, I did my entire tub using my Hobart. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 105

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're stuck with a 110V welder and need to do heavier work, you can always convert over to fluxcore wire and/or preheat the material with a torch to get better penetration. Not my preferred method, but it gets the job done with the tools you have.

Orig93gt

I’ve run miles of .030 through my Hobart 140 with trimix. It does everything I ask of it without trouble.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
I've have a Lincoln 135 and the switch went bad and Lincoln wanted close to 200 dollars for a complete welder head with built in switch so I bought a Lincoln 140 and same problem.I opened up the handle and the switch is just two small pieces of copper capped with silver and once you pull the pins holding the switch in thats it for that handle and hose.But I did do some heavy work restoring 2 Broncos and also built a sawmill from scratch so I gave them a pretty good workout.To fix the cheap switch I put a momentary contact electrical switch in the 140 and it works just great again.As much welding I did back then I really can't complain about either Lincoln welder and by all means go with the argon mix it helps you to make nice smooth welds and using just the flux core made a decent weld but it sure does splatter all around the weld.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Which ever one you choose check the duty cycle. That will tell you how well they are made. I have been using the Millermatic welder for 23 years and welded a lot of different projects from sheet metal to 1/2 inch and it works very well. Ken

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought the Eastwood 135 on the basis of value and a friends recommendation and would do it again. Also, a large shielding gas cylinder is a great suggestion.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Check out the Vulcan Migmax 215 at Harbor Freight- it was designed by a former Lincoln engineer and has the variable autoset which makes it super easy for beginners like me. It had a full 12 month no questions asked return policy and it runs on 110 or 220v power. Great price and I have been very happy with mine over the last year...also good reviews online. You can get a new Vulcan for the price of a used Lincoln or Hobart.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I have the Hobart 210 that runs on both 110 and 220. For the most part for light duty work the Hobart 140 is a great choice, it has the same features as the 210 and is well built, but if you are planning anything bigger the 210 has upside! I
helped out a fellow EB owner this past weekend weld on a steering box plate and a stabilizer bracket, he didn't have 220 service, I struggled to get the metal hot enough using 110. But for basic light duty welding and sheet metal work I could have done my entire body using 110 service, I did my entire tub using my Hobart. Good luck

I have thought about that one as well Jamie, but I really only need something that has 110 hook up. Also since it will be mine I can keep .023 wire in it all the time. If I need to weld anything heavier than sheet metal, I will most likely have my BIL do it (he will be building my bumpers, tube doors, etc. since he does it for a living), or I have access to this welder down at our barn.

Attachments

• 1.18.19_Welder.jpg
    1.18.19_Welder.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 36

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
We did my rig with the little Hobart 140 with the gas bottle, worked great and it runs on 110. I'm thinking about getting a 180 or similar, we prefer the Miller. Those dam Harbor freight ones are tempting me, very good looking cases on them, and their getting good reviews too,decisions decisions. %)