• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 U-Joint Question

DSJW

Does anyone know if these u-joints from TBP fit the original Ford factory axles. The description says they fit "Broncos with Dana 44 Chrome Moly Axles.". I missed my chance to call them during the week to ask and I'm putting in an order this weekend.

Part Number: 3480
Chromoly Axle U-Joint - Heavy Duty, 1 3/16", Non-Greasable, SPICER BRAND, 66-77 Ford Bronco, New

Thanks!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I think the chromo axles user th elarger joints than the original axles.

You want life series anyway - not to mention Spicer just released a blue line that is even better for 4x4 applications.

OP
OP
D

DSJW

Thanks for the reply. I will be going through the front axle ('77 / Dana 44) this December. The Bronco does not get much 4 wheeling but I want to put in Spicer quality parts that will last as long as possible. Happy to listen to any ideas... and sources for suggested parts.

ETA, only doing from the axle shafts out. Not going to mess with the differential.

Thank You Muchly!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DSJW

Checking to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. I found the Spicer SPL Line 5-1310X (non-greasealbe) , and the 5-1310-1X (greaseable through the end cap). Is this the recommended u-joint? And is there a preference between the two?

And... on another subject, Ball Joints, what is the preference between the Moog and the Spicer?

Thank you again or the help, it is greatly appreciated

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 1310 joints are for the driveshaft, not the axle shaft.

Stock axles use the 260 series U-joint.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Subscribed. I started tearing down my 77 front axle but put it on the back burner at the moment. I will need new upper and lower ball joints.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Got my ball joints from TBP, fit well and quality part for 76 knuckles that I rebuilt for disc brakes. Moog are great, not sure what Tom's are.
I was told that non-grease able u joints are stronger due to no hole in metal "H". That said, I went with Spicer grease able U joints for long lasting and durability.....water crossings, Rubicon, etc.
Always carry extra U joints on trail.....:eek:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Got my ball joints from TBP, fit well and quality part for 76 knuckles that I rebuilt for disc brakes. Moog are great, not sure what Tom's are.
I was told that non-grease able u joints are stronger due to no hole in metal "H". That said, I went with Spicer grease able U joints for long lasting and durability.....water crossings, Rubicon, etc.
Always carry extra U joints on trail.....:eek:

I’ve never had any luck with replacing axle U-joints out on the trail. When one of those fail, it always takes out one of the axle ears. Upgrading to chromo axles is a good idea because they are machined to accept full circle snap rings to retain the U-joint. When stressed, the “C” clips tend to fail and that’s what leads to U-joint and axle failure. I keep a set of spare assembled axles with me on longer trips. Someone can always use them if not yourself.

Mark

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Get you quality Spicer parts from www.northerndrivetrain.com - they have the best info and some of the best pricing around. If it says it is in stock, IT IS.

Spicer life series are where it is at - zero need to grease. The seals on the caps are so strong you have trouble pulling them so you can install them into the axles. I had to use a pliers to get the caps off the D60 joints I installed years ago.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I think the chromo axles user th elarger joints than the original axles.

You want life series anyway - not to mention Spicer just released a blue line that is even better for 4x4 applications.

ya that blue cap line i referenced a few weeks ago....but never got truly noted, and i was referred to the white cappers.

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-5-1310-1X.html

The blue cappers are greasable through the end of a cap by the looks of the pic

OP
OP
D

DSJW

Thank you for the great info and the link to Northern Drive Train. I will give them a call and get the Spicer parts I want to use for the job. Also, would like to say that for those of us who own Bronco's, but don't know all the detailed info about years/parts/dimensions/etc., we really appreciate a community like this one that is so damn helpful. I have owned my Bronco for over 25 years and will probably never let it go, but I will never know as much as you guys who live and breathe the Bronco and build them for fun. Thank you again.