• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quiet please!

clintOK

Loc.
Driftwood
Can anybody help with the awful road noise/tire noise/exhaust noise I get when driving my bronco? It's a rhino lined tub on 33's with 2.5 inch lift and bcbroncos top (I know it won't be whisper quiet!) I need carpet but but do I dynamat and carpet? Just carpet? I have wakeboard speakers on the roll bar and I can't hear the stereo unless I blast it full power. Which I am sure is hurting my already degraded hearing from a lot of shooting sports. What is the best/most cost effective solution to getting this thing easier on the ears? Any help appreciated.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Dynamat, or equivalent, under the carpet and everywhere you can put it. I just redid my doors with a dynaliner type product, MLV, and new felts. Doors are often overlooked.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dyna mat , carpet felt and then the carpet.. got to enjoy the noise haaa

OP
OP
clintOK

clintOK

Loc.
Driftwood
Carpet felt wasn't something I was finding on the regular bronco part sites. That's why I asked on here before buying stuff. Good thing there are guys like you to help dummies like me out! Do you think it will help much with noise reduction even with the soft top or am I just wasting money?

Now who should I buy from? I would like a pre-fit kit

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Ditto on the felt.... I did that too. I don't know of anyone who sells a full felt kit including the wheel wells. I know Tom's has a full floor kit. I did mine myself. It's really not difficult. I have felt over foil backed foam which is over a dynamat type product. I got foil backed felt from JC Whitney and spray glued it to the foil backed foam. You will notice a difference even with a soft top.
2dcb8800545ce87f6070528a17abfb3e.jpg
3b3d3612df427905381abfab872f5ff9.jpg
d2fbf192f4931f396697d975c244f5f5.jpg

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Carpet and padding will keep some of the noise out, but some will still get through. You need to pad the rest of the interior to absorb those sound waves. If you don't install padding in the top, sides, and doors, the sound will just bounce around inside the cab like a tin can.

A good example of this is in school gymnasiums. Since you can't put mufflers on the spectators mouths, padded panels are attached to the walls and ceiling to catch the sound waves.

I used some of that foam sheeting from Home Depot attached with spray glue between the top braces and installed the headliner right back over it. I used the same stuff under the side panels and inside the doors.

It's not necessary to get 100% coverage, but it all helps to trap those sound waves.

Weazer2003

Dynamat and carpet helped me out a LOT. I have a louder exhaust, and my floor was also lienex'd and before carpet it was crazy loud while driving. Seem to just echo off all that metal. Now it's waaaaay queiter. I'd say far less than half as loud as before. It's worth it for sure. Top up or down.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It interesting about doing it under the floors. My wife s expedition is lined underneath the whole bottom with a ford foil based product and in the engine compartment
Just wonder what would stay up there through all the mud and water

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh and felt really helped with the heat from the engine too easy to work with with 3m adhesive too

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Road/tire noise is from tires. Don't care how much you blanket the body you are still fighting the noise. Change the tires to something that rolls quieter.

What fan do you have on the engine. Fan roar is generally a huge noise generator. Going to a clutched fan (like the Explorer front dress) can really quiet up the fan.

Exhaust is so simple I am not even going there.

Aftermarket open air cleaner? Those allow a lot of intake noise. Factory style will be quieter.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
The road noise, exhaust and overall clanking is therapeutic for me.......but mine isn't a Daily Driver :cool:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Be careful on the dyna product which has the glue on tar like surface dynaliner. I avoided using that over the hot areas.

What I found for use in mine is 2 versions of dynamat: Dynapad and dynamat. One is pretty hefty and has the tarlike stuff encapsulated between layers. I also went to an upholstery shop and bought enough of that silver backed fluffy carpet backing stuff for about $40, like slowleaks stuff above. I am going to use dynaliner on the walls of the rear quarters behind the 1/4 panel, that stuff will stick there no issue, didnt want to use that stuff right over the engine/tranny tunnel. Nor glue anything to the floor incase it did get wet from rain or such. I am doing what is shown above, cutting panels and taping it all together with this industrial nuclear powered tape. Duct tape on steroids.

As noted above, underspray really doesn't help, and once you cure the floor and 1/4 noise, the last place is the firewall which Im using the WH firewall factory looking replacement plus another layer of my silver backed upholstery material.

Tire noise is probably worn tires. i just replaced my KM2's that had 25,000 on them for same version new. Like night and day, My jeep is quite at 80 again, i never realized as they wore they got louder, like B29 loud.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Someone here in the past (year?) has a thread after installing some type of material on the floor. He posted before and after readings. I can't remember if it was temperature or noise db levels. It was quite an improvement and good to see the numbers.

I put Dynamat in the '67 Vette to keep the heat out and the difference was night and day. If it works half as well for noise, it's worth it.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Road/tire noise is from tires. Don't care how much you blanket the body you are still fighting the noise. Change the tires to something that rolls quieter

This has got to be the number one cause of noise in the cab. I used felt under my carpet kit, which I will say TBP has the best carpet kit hands down. ;D

OP
OP
clintOK

clintOK

Loc.
Driftwood
So Toms bronco parts is the carpet kit to get? Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
So Toms bronco parts is the carpet kit to get? Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!

I have heard that they have two versions of carpet. One is heavier/better.
Their kit also goes from the fire wall to the tailgate whereas others are two separate sections of carpet for the front and rear.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia

I agree that Tom's one piece kit is really nice. I was out in Medford a few years ago and looked at it. At that time he did not have a kit for a '77.

I went with the ACC Essex kit and ordered from Bronco Hut. ACC provides most of the molded kits and the Essex is a bit thicker and denser than the standard ACC kit.

If you go with ACC get it from a vendor. It's cheaper than ordering direct from ACC.