• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 Explorer (swap) - The "Great Pumpkin" Build

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Hi y'all. I'm a newbie Bronco owner, proud nth? owner of a 1974 U15 Explorer. Haven't pulled a Marti report or anything yet, but am staring at my winter project.

I've been consuming as much knowledge as possible the last 2 months from this forum. great stuff. I find myself checking daily, craving new build threads while digging up old ones that are relevant.

So I decided to start my own thread.. mainly for selfish reasons to get some sage guidance on how far to take the "Great Pumpkin". My late father owned a 1976 EB rust bucket, tore it down and tinkered with it for 10+yrs and unfortunately passed away before he could finish it. The family finished it and we still have it, hence my itch to pick one up, but not leave it in parts for years before I get to enjoy it.

I scored The Pumpkin locally, and it has had a few resto-mod improvements from the PO's through the years. I'm partial to keeping it this way but getting it rust & dent-free w/ some fresh paint, semi-restomod, keeping front/rear cut w/ some warflares, etc. Some decent upgrades:

• Painless Wiring Harness
    Flaming River Steering column
    Front disc brake conversion
    Rampage soft top (no hard top included)
    15" wheels w/ 33" BFG tires
    Edelbrock intake and carb (I just recently rebuilt it..running much better after sitting for 2yrs)
    Beefy rear bumper w/ tire rack and jerry can holder
    Roll cage

So while I crave a full frame-off resto, i'm afraid of it sitting for years and costing 5x my budget. I've got a heated shop, welder, tools, and some basic welding experience. I have access to a lift and am strongly considering taking the body off to thoroughly clean & POR15 the frame, clean/paint the engine, replace lines, etc

Where I struggle (for now) is how far to take the body panels. ie, replace or repair? Here is where I could use the most guidance on where to get them to good driver quality before I have a paint/body guy tackle it.

I'll start with some pictures and follow up with a few chaser posts.

Attachments

• 1974 bronco polished.jpg
    1974 bronco polished.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 197
  • passenger rear.jpg
    passenger rear.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 133
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 137
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 146
  • drivers rear bent 2.jpg
    drivers rear bent 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 153
  • drivers quarter.jpg
    drivers quarter.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 155
  • drivers front angle.jpg
    drivers front angle.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 161
  • drivers angle.jpg
    drivers angle.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 175
  • grille.jpg
    grille.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 117
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 138
  • drivers seat.jpg
    drivers seat.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 141
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 172
OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Rust repair vs. replace?

Here is where I struggle as I'm compiling my "black friday purchase frenzy". Which panels should I attempt to patch & repair vs. buying repo from JBG? I'm in driving distance and plan to make a trip up there on Black Friday to hit JBG and a few other stops along the way.

The easiest way is to probably post all of the rust pics and my thoughts.. would appreciate any/all feedback:

All: has the Explorer trim holes that I plan to delete/weld closed.

Driver's door: drivers has typical rust holes in the bottom and outside had towing mirrors and appears to have been beaten with a baseball bat :) I'm looking to probably just find a nice donor door vs. repairing + reskinning

Passenger door: has tow mirror holes and mud. who knows what else. May find a matching set of donor doors vs. skinning

Passenger quarter: my biggest dilemma. Has a bit of rust-through at the inner/lower seam, but rest is mostly solid. So I go through the effort of replacing both or find a way to cut out the seam and use a patch panel in the seam?

Tailgate posts: drivers is pretty well bent, passenger has spare tire holes + mud. Will probably just replace w/ repo?

Fenders: drivers took a beating too and has some surface rust at the bottom. debating if worth knocking the dents out vs. replacing w/ repop? I'll probably end up cutting the new ones anyhow

Hood: has a stress crack on passenger side and mud. will probably find a better donor

Passenger inner fender wall: has a large area where essentially delaminating a layer of metal? Cut/patch this area vs. replace panel?

Floors: fronts have been replaced by PO, rears have some small areas that I think I can simply cut/weld the gaps.

Tailgate: appears solid, will probably weld/delete the spare tire and trim holes.

Passenger door sill: has pinholes that I can probably / hopefully weld.

Drivers lower/outer door post cover: has a good size hole. I'm probably just going to order this from JBG and replace it.

This is where I could use alot of help.. on where to take the above? Sorry for the long-winded post. Appreciate any/all feedback!

Attachments

• passenger door bondo.jpg
    passenger door bondo.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 87
  • hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 87
  • drivers rear bent.jpg
    drivers rear bent.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 91
  • front apron.jpg
    front apron.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 91
  • drivers door rust.jpg
    drivers door rust.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 96
  • drivers door rust 2.jpg
    drivers door rust 2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 95
  • drivers door mirror.jpg
    drivers door mirror.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 94
  • rear floor rust.jpg
    rear floor rust.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 75
  • passenger door rust.jpg
    passenger door rust.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 78
  • passenger rear rust.jpg
    passenger rear rust.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 79
  • drivers door post.jpg
    drivers door post.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 102

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Nice score and welcome to the Board! You actually have a 1973 Burnt Orange on orange interior Explorer. This was a '73 year only package (also came in Grabber Blue on blue interior) that year only. Here are some photos of my '73 Explorer... you might notice some similarities :)

I say you are on the right track to get a Marti report, it will confirm exactly what options yours came with.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 10.43.10   AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 10.43.10 AM.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 12.42.31   PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 12.42.31 PM.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Nice score and welcome to the Board! You actually have a 1973 Burnt Orange on orange interior Explorer. This was a '73 year only package (also came in Grabber Blue on blue interior) that year only. Here are some photos of my '73 Explorer... you might notice some similarities :)

I say you are on the right track to get a Marti report, it will confirm exactly what options yours came with.

Hmm, interesting. According to my vin tag it was a S23044, which according to the Broncohio decoder makes it a late (July) 1973. How accurate is the decoder and is there any chance Ford called the last batches 1974?

btw, thanks for sharing the pictures. It's interesting to see what it originally looked like. Yours is in amazing condition.. I really dig the original seats..I can't fathom how to get something in that pattern reproduced in order to return mine to it's original glory

Last edited:

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Others can certainly chime in on the VIN sequences but as I said, the Marti report will confirm what it is. Here is the '73 Explorer brochure for some reference material:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 10.32.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 10.32.29 PM.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 10.33.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 10.33.00 PM.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 57

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Hmm, interesting. According to my vin tag it was a S23044, which according to the Broncohio decoder makes it a late (July) 1973. How accurate is the decoder and is there any chance Ford called the last batches 1974?

btw, thanks for sharing the pictures. It's interesting to see what it originally looked like. Yours is in amazing condition.. I really dig the original seats..I can't fathom how to get something in that pattern reproduced in order to return mine to it's original glory

Welcome to CB! Nice find, I love that color!

It is indeed a '73 like Mac said. That VIN decoder is close, but not always completely accurate. However yours is correct. You have a late '73.

I second the Bronco Hut recommendation.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I believe Aug. '73 would have began the '74 year models. I say that but I know of a '77 built in July '76. Build date that was built same month as my '76.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Others can certainly chime in on the VIN sequences but as I said, the Marti report will confirm what it is. Here is the '73 Explorer brochure for some reference material:

"Orange or Blue instrument panel" does that mean the dash was painted body color instead of gray?

bchesley

I have a set of the Bronco Hut seat covers. They are top notch. I just picked up a new 72 explorer and will be ordering a set for it also. You will not be disappointed. In that photo I had just finished installing the skins. A few days in the sun removed the wrinkles. They look perfect now.

Attachments

• IMG_7125.jpg
    IMG_7125.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 107

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
"Orange or Blue instrument panel" does that mean the dash was painted body color instead of gray?

Yes, but in '73 the standard dash color was parchment. Rangers and Explorers had body color dashes with the exception of the '72 Explorer/Sport.

mlarison

Loc.
Palm Coast
Huge fan of BroncoHut for seat covers, I used them for my 74 Explorer and they came out great!! Melissa is really great to deal w/ too!!

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
I have a set of the Bronco Hut seat covers. They are top notch. I just picked up a new 72 explorer and will be ordering a set for it also. You will not be disappointed. In that photo I had just finished installing the skins. A few days in the sun removed the wrinkles. They look perfect now.
Are those the same orange covers? I like the tannish tint to them? I saw them on another wood-themed post some time back and assumed they were custom?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bchesley

No they are ginger outer with the orange center cloth. I just loved the pattern. My 75 was not an explorer, but it has killer seats now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Here's some pretty recent shots of BHut's legit Explorer upholstery. In a 73 we have. Matched the stock rear seat perfectly.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7484.JPG
    IMG_7484.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7506.JPG
    IMG_7506.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 77

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's some pretty recent shots of BHut's legit Explorer upholstery. In a 73 we have. Matched the stock rear seat perfectly.

Jim
x5 on Bronco hut covers....those colors/patterns and pic angle making Andrew dizzy though....

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Fenders off!

Some small progress made..trying to determine what metal I need. I suspect the fenders were replaced years ago...hard to tell, but they had some black paint inside. The drivers inner fender appears to have been replaced.

I think i'm going to replace both the inner & outer fenders w/ new metal from JBG. I'm going with an front replacement panel for the driver's post too.. I spun the lower nut for the fender on the inside, so I will have to at least cut it back that far to weld it back in place.

Attachments

• front door post rust.jpg
    front door post rust.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 86
  • passenger fender removed.jpg
    passenger fender removed.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 79
  • drivers fender removed.jpg
    drivers fender removed.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
I believe Aug. '73 would have began the '74 year models. I say that but I know of a '77 built in July '76. Build date that was built same month as my '76.

I received my Marti report today and I think I have my answer on the model year being a 1974:

Your vehicle was actually produced on August 22, 1973 -- thirty-four days behind schedule.

U15U-100 Bronco 4x4 Wagon
G302-2V Engine
LBuilt at Michigan Truck
S23044Serial Number of this Bronco scheduled forproduction at Michigan Truck
092Wheelbase (inches)
YOrange Paint
U153U-100 Bronco 4x4 Wagon 4450 Lb. GVW
94Orange Random Stripe Bench Seat and RearSeat
GAutomatic Transmission
B8J3.50 Limited Slip Rear Axle with Power Steering
04450Gross Vehicle Weight in Pounds
74Seattle DSO (District Sales Office)

DEALER #:74I530

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
-Skid Plates
-Power Steering
-L78x15-B Black Sidewall Tires
-Mud & Snow Tread Tires
-Swing-Away Spare Tire Carrier
-Explorer Package
-Left Hand Remote Control Mirror
-Right Hand Chrome Mirror
-Bodyside Moldings
-Manual AM Radio
-Hardboard Headliner
-Wheel Covers
-Auxiliary Fuel Tank with Skid Plate
-Chrome Bumpers

Your vehicle was actually produced on August 22, 1973 -- thirty-four days behind schedule.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Parts have arrived

Made a black friday trip to JBG and brought back a load of sheet metal:

2x fenders
2x lower quarters
1x inner quarter
2x inner fender/aprons
2x rocker panels (unsure if i'm going to use both vs. patch)
1x outer door post

and a bunch of other misc parts. I suspect i'm going to make a trip back up there yet before their sale is over. Jeff & Pat were very friendly and showed me Jeff's collection in the showroom. Some neat originals there. Had a U14 plow truck w/ ~2700 miles, a U14 camper from colorado, etc. If you've watched the Detroit Steel bronco episode, they do a run-through of the showroom.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Had some time today to start cutting out the outer door post. I only cut half out for now. The bottom backing plate had a sheared-off bolt and one of the fender bolts had to be welded back in.

I think i'm going to use the outer panel as a half patch vs. tearing the entire thing out. The upper half is pretty nice yet.

Attachments

• driver post before.jpg
    driver post before.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 62
  • door post.jpg
    door post.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 71