• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying advice - Am I nuts?

muskrat

Bronco Guru
How about commissioning one to be built? Nicks Trix? Wonder if that would fit it ur budget? Not sure if ya gotta start w one or if he was something in his inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Yeah - keep an eye on the western states, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Kansas...dry climates make a huge difference in minimizing rust. Big bronco community in Colorado, people to either help you out or who will know history on a truck.

pipeline010

I'm in your area, new(ish) EB owner. I didn't even look in our area and neither should you.

Classic Cars here mean something completely different than they do in places like Arizona. In college I had to fly out for a National Championship in Arizona and couldn't believe the amount of cool old trucks on the road. The ones you see here (east coast) may 'look' cool but they are rolling disasters. There are a handful of folks that are exceedingly careful with their classics, but not everyone has the income to maintain a climate controlled rust free atmosphere for their toys.

Look west, young man.

But in answer to your original question, yes you are nuts. You're spending a years worth of college education on a truck that smells bad, doesn't drive straight, offers questionable reliability, requires diagnosis and know-how that you MUST learn or pay loads for, and creaks more than every door you've ever heard in a horror movie...and that's just when you are getting into it.

So why jump in? Because it's awesome, that's why. Ever walked into a wedding with the hottest girl in the whole place? It's a lot like that.

Except she stinks like gear oil. And she rides rough. ... although that part may be the same.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Spend all your free time on this site like the rest of us. Learn to use the search function and look and read every build post you find. It wont take too long to learn where the rust hides in these trucks. You will also learn on how previous owners hid the problems. Or just pretty up the outside to sell the truck. The drive train is cheep compared to dealing with body rust. The body shops don't want to deal with a rusty pig so there isn't a cheep way out. Remember lipstick on a pig is still a pig. If the previous owner didn't spend the necessary money keeping up the truck, you will spend it after you pay the big bucks buying the truck. A project truck is no bargain even if you can do everything yourself. Its not how much you spend on the truck that gets you a good truck its how much you know to make your money get the best truck you can get.

Welcome to Bronco College you have entered the Bronco Zone, life between dreams and Reality.

P.S. get a tetanus shot and wear gloves and safety glasses your going to need it.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
our club hosts and event May 19, central Mass....maybe it would be worth it to come on up, talk to people and really crawl around some real trucks. Will give you an idea of what to look for and you will meet some rabid Bronco fans....feel free to ask any questions!

Mmflpa

Loc.
Philadelphia, PA
Where in PA are you? I am in Philly. I know of 3 in South Jersey that are within your price range. One is actually orange, another is gray and orange. I can put you in contact with the owner if you want more information.

OP
OP
Z

zdb104

Just saw your message. Are the Broncos in Jersey rust buckets?

Forgot to mention I am in central PA (17777)

chuckyb

Contributor

I can vouch that my NJ Bronco was a rust bucket, check the first couple of pages on my build thread. My grandfather used it as a work vehicle all year long, and kept it parked under a tree. Those salty roads are unforgiving and getting leaves crammed up everywhere didn't help either.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

if outside a lot you can guarantee it...

if kept garaged, not driven in winter could be okay.. depends on the owner ya know

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
But in answer to your original question, yes you are nuts. You're spending a years worth of college education on a truck that smells bad, doesn't drive straight, offers questionable reliability, requires diagnosis and know-how that you MUST learn or pay loads for, and creaks more than every door you've ever heard in a horror movie...and that's just when you are getting into it.

So why jump in? Because it's awesome, that's why. Ever walked into a wedding with the hottest girl in the whole place? It's a lot like that.

Except she stinks like gear oil. And she rides rough. ... although that part may be the same.

Ha ha, I laughed pretty hard at this............. because its true!

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
I'm in your area, new(ish) EB owner. I didn't even look in our area and neither should you.

Classic Cars here mean something completely different than they do in places like Arizona. In college I had to fly out for a National Championship in Arizona and couldn't believe the amount of cool old trucks on the road. The ones you see here (east coast) may 'look' cool but they are rolling disasters. There are a handful of folks that are exceedingly careful with their classics, but not everyone has the income to maintain a climate controlled rust free atmosphere for their toys.

Look west, young man.

Awesome response and so true! you're not one of millions of J#*ps on the road - you will definitely get the thumbs up a lot when driving, and there's nothing like the EB community

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I copied and pasted the part below from a PM I'd sent to another EB member on here back in July 2016 after buying a '66 EB and bringing it to Winchester, Ky.

"I just got time today to go get it licensed, and have only driven it about 1 mile total. Man does it get attention! From the Sheriffs deputies looking at it, to the guy downtown yelling "Nice Bronco!" and the two couples on big Harley's giving me multiple thumbs up."

Yeah, you will get some attention! ;D

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I copied and pasted the part below from a PM I'd sent to another EB member on here back in July 2016 after buying a '66 EB and bringing it to Winchester, Ky.

"I just got time today to go get it licensed, and have only driven it about 1 mile total. Man does it get attention! From the Sheriffs deputies looking at it, to the guy downtown yelling "Nice Bronco!" and the two couples on big Harley's giving me multiple thumbs up."

Yeah, you will get some attention! ;D

/\/\ Truth!
A few years ago I read about a major league baseball player that has one, he said people would walk around a Lamborghini to look at it.

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
I’m in central PA as well and I’d be hesitant to look in our area for something like that as well. Travel outside the salt zone and look closely in person. Our PA inspections mean nothing. The donor Bronco I got was only 5 years out of inspection and you should have seen the hidden damage. I knew it was rough and I am fully capable of rebuilding almost anything, but even I was wondering what the hell I got into for awhile. Rot hides everywhere.

Welcome to the site and I agree with the others...there is nothing like driving one of these old Broncos. I’m in Union county...I might see you at local shows soon if you are close. Definitely join MEB and check out their get togethers too. Good luck in your search!