• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering box frame strengthener

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
So do you or don't you recommend the frame strengthening plate sold to go between the steering box and frame? I can see where it might be needed for wrenching big tires around while mudding or rock crawling but how about a street truck? Has anyone had a problem with frame fatigue or failure on a mildly used Bronco? Thanks

68ford

Bronco Guru
They make a pitman arm nut with a shank on the end for a heim. You run a tube with a heim on both ends from pitman arm to other frame rail. It takes the load off the frame by keeping the sector shaft in one spot while side loaded during steering. Btmy doing that the side load on the frame is no longer present. It also takes away side to side load from steering inside the steering box, which stiffening the frame does not do. I'll try and find it. Google jeep sector shaft support.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Like this.

Mark

Attachments

• 78F5970E-20B5-400E-94A3-C6C881101CB0.jpg
    78F5970E-20B5-400E-94A3-C6C881101CB0.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 150
  • F4A8261E-C961-41EB-87B3-2F68F25C5DC2.jpg
    F4A8261E-C961-41EB-87B3-2F68F25C5DC2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 127

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
That's it. Who makes it again? I can't find it anymore.

I got it from Evolution Off Road out of Fullerton. Part of a kit they no longer make. They do have a few of these sector shaft nuts. They’re about $25 shipped.
There’s another Co. that makes the same thing, but uses a 3/4” heim instead of a 5/8”. I’ll have to work on finding that link.
Mark

68ford

Bronco Guru
That's the same place I got mine, recognised the name once I read it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had that idea several years back but never made it happen. Never knew someone actually builds (built?) them. I need to check the nut size once you find the source, I think my 2WD F250 could use it. A little extra support to that lower steering box bushing as well.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Thank you. That's the one I was thinking of, that uses the 3/4" heim.

Mark

I like that one better with a solid stud and nut vs ours with the hollow threaded shank. Wonder if the additional friction of a 3/4 rod end will affect returning to straight after a turn?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So do you or don't you recommend the frame strengthening plate sold to go between the steering box and frame?

Strength is always a good thing, but from your description I'd have to say don't bother.
They even come with their own set of (minor) issues.

Has anyone had a problem with frame fatigue or failure on a mildly used Bronco? Thanks

Yes, but as far as I'm concerned it's quite a rarity on Broncos. Plenty of cracked frames to go around, but no telling what abuse it took to achieve it since nobody really knows how their PO's treated their Broncos.
The first one I ever saw was on a nice mild Bronco, but when asked the guy said that when he bought it he'd take off some really big tires the PO had on there. Kind of a dead giveaway.
And since Broncos used to get beat on regularly by young 'uns because they were just another truck to go out and beat on, lots of strange things happened.
But if you're truly going to be doing just street driving and maybe a mild trail or two, with modest sized tires (33" and below), then I'd save my time and money on the spacer/adapter plate.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So to add to the information you already gave, here are some questions:

1. what size tires will you be running.
2. Almost as important, what width wheel, with what amount of offset?
3. All street driving?

Those might have potential effect on the above answer, but most likely not. They're just for clarification.

Paul