• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What will it cost?

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
New Toms Offroad catalog came in Saturday, I told the wife I'd circle stuff and she could order it for me. So we got to talking what I needed to do first to the Bronco. So I am trying to figure out a ballpark of what it would cost at a shop to do the work I need done. I just want to rebuild the engine, install front disc brakes, power brake conversion, new steering linkage new gas tank. Then overhaul anything underneath that needs it. Are we talking about 10K parts and labor or more, then comes the whole finding who to do it in the Middle Tennessee area.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
For just the engine rebuild I can give you my recent experience in AZ. About 9 months ago I called several engine shops about doing just machine work on my 289, which I wanted to assemble myself. Most of the shops I called didn't want to even bother with just machine work. They were too busy, so they were only doing full long blocks. Those were in the $4,500-5,500 range, taking my engine as the core.

I did finally find a shop that had time to just do the machine work (magnaflux, bake, blast block, bake & blast heads & intake manifold, bore cylinders .030 over, grind crank, install new cam bearings, new cast pistons including hanging on the connecting rods) All this was just shy of $800. Add on about $350 for rings, bearings, gasket set, assembly lube, break-in oil, etc. and my total engine rebuild was about $1200, and that's with me doing 100% of the labor to remove, disassemble, reassemble, and install.

So if you're going to have a shop do the engine rebuild I'd expect it to take about half you $10k budget. If you're having them installed I would guess another $1,500-2,000.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You could do the steering and brakes. It's not to difficult. If you hit the junkyard for the disc swap it's far cheaper than the kits. Same with hydroboost. I would hydroboost over the vacuum booster. If you source the parts local it's probably the same price or maybe less. For steering linkage look up the chevy 1-ton swap. Dessert thrasher did a good write up on it. For the motor it's probably worth having one built or rebuilt. Taking it out and installing isn't to difficult if you have somebody with the knowledge make sure your good for start up.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
For just the engine rebuild I can give you my recent experience in AZ. About 9 months ago I called several engine shops about doing just machine work on my 289, which I wanted to assemble myself. Most of the shops I called didn't want to even bother with just machine work. They were too busy, so they were only doing full long blocks. Those were in the $4,500-5,500 range, taking my engine as the core.

I did finally find a shop that had time to just do the machine work (magnaflux, bake, blast block, bake & blast heads & intake manifold, bore cylinders .030 over, grind crank, install new cam bearings, new cast pistons including hanging on the connecting rods) All this was just shy of $800. Add on about $350 for rings, bearings, gasket set, assembly lube, break-in oil, etc. and my total engine rebuild was about $1200, and that's with me doing 100% of the labor to remove, disassemble, reassemble, and install.

So if you're going to have a shop do the engine rebuild I'd expect it to take about half you $10k budget. If you're having them installed I would guess another $1,500-2,000.
I was figuring around 5k for the engine, I don't have the tools, nor the know how to rebuild an engine. I keep telling myself whats the worst that could happen? I'd have to send it off to a shop for them to fix my screw up?

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
You could do the steering and brakes. It's not to difficult. If you hit the junkyard for the disc swap it's far cheaper than the kits. Same with hydroboost. I would hydroboost over the vacuum booster. If you source the parts local it's probably the same price or maybe less. For steering linkage look up the chevy 1-ton swap. Dessert thrasher did a good write up on it. For the motor it's probably worth having one built or rebuilt. Taking it out and installing isn't to difficult if you have somebody with the knowledge make sure your good for start up.
I'm always hesitant to do anything myself, I have the disc kit already. I've looked at the hydroboost system as well.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New Toms Offroad catalog came in Saturday, I told the wife I'd circle stuff and she could order it for me. So we got to talking what I needed to do first to the Bronco. So I am trying to figure out a ballpark of what it would cost at a shop to do the work I need done. I just want to rebuild the engine, install front disc brakes, power brake conversion, new steering linkage new gas tank. Then overhaul anything underneath that needs it. Are we talking about 10K parts and labor or more, then comes the whole finding who to do it in the Middle Tennessee area.
I'd say you are closer to 20k parts plus labor.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I keep telling myself whats the worst that could happen? I'd have to send it off to a shop for them to fix my screw up?
Yes, but if that screw up damages the block or heads, you'll be out more money than if you just paid the shop to rebuilt it for you in the first place.

Do you have the tools/experience to take the engine out and put it back in again? If so maybe that's where you can save some money, and still have the shop do the actual rebuilding.

Contributor
I'm always hesitant to do anything myself, I have the disc kit already. I've looked at the hydroboost system as well.

There are write ups with detailed instructions on how to install those parts. Also really good videos on YouTube you could follow along with. Learning how to wrench on your own stuff will save you a lot of money. Plus if you ever out and about in town or on some back roads and have an issue with your Bronco you’ll have some skills under your belt to help get you home.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Yes, but if that screw up damages the block or heads, you'll be out more money than if you just paid the shop to rebuilt it for you in the first place.

Do you have the tools/experience to take the engine out and put it back in again? If so maybe that's where you can save some money, and still have the shop do the actual rebuilding.
I've got normal sockets and wrenches. Just no cherry picker or engine stand.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Torkman66

Contributor
Easy for some of us that have been in the grease knuckle world for years to suggest doing it to some degree yourself. Thinking wayyyy back, I started restoration work at 14 years old and that was with a dad that helped. For many, changing an alternator is a great accomplishment. That’s the things you start with. Change out a dash switch yourself, learn to bleed brakes, replace your own shocks. For someone who has not spent years doing auto work, those are the areas you start with doing yourself.

It sounds like you have the funds to get the project started. Having other reputable people do the work is great. Do what you can along the way and learn to do a few more things. But given what you have shared, I think your plan is spot on. Hire out most of the heavy work.

For price, here is a rule of thumb that ALWAYS works. Add up all the things you want to do with the best price estimates you can determine. Now double that amount. That is not an attempt at a joke… it is 100% true. There is a human trait called “while I’m at it” syndrome. Once your knee deep in the project little things come up that are $100 here $75 there, and you convince yourself you might as well do it now. It adds up fast. Then there is the unexpected. So, do yourself a favor and follow my suggestions for price and you will at least not be surprised when done, and you will have a very nice Bronco!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
The brakes, MC and fuel tank I can and could do on my own, just need to tackle it. I am not going to tackle the engine rebuild, just not willing to do it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I wouldn't recommend you build the motor but you're probably capable of removal and installation. Like you see on here it's amazing what free beer and pizza can do for getting some local help.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I wouldn't recommend you build the motor but you're probably capable of removal and installation. Like you see on here it's amazing what free beer and pizza can do for getting some local help.
That I could probably do as well, i am sure I could gather the needed stuff to do it from some people.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What most people fail to take into account are the problems with the vehicle that you don't know about until you start working on it either from past "poor work" or from conditions specific to your vehicle such as bent, broken, or poorly chosen components.