• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Verify leaf springs **updated with measurements**

joshua

Contributor
Is there a way to tell what lift a leaf spring is? Another member has some 3.5 11 pack leafs for sale. But no box or part number. Can I measure anything? They are new.

Thanks

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to the top. I don't have easy access to any right at the moment, but maybe someone can share some measurements.
My thinking though, is that they are not as linear when unloaded as a coil spring is. We can tell a basic lift (at least of our WH coils) with some quick measurements. But the leaf packs? Not so sure they have a given arch, or eye-to-eye length to them or not. Funny, but I never actually thought about it until you asked!

There are many 11-leaf packs, from 3.5 to 5.5 inch lifts, and even the 2.5" packs as well. Which I'm sure is why you're asking. So we can't go by just the leaf count.
The length eye-to-eye is probably the same on all of them? That might be a start though.
Do you have access to the springs? Or are they some distance from you still at this point.

Back to the top for others to chime in .

Paul

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Back to the top. I don't have easy access to any right at the moment, but maybe someone can share some measurements.
My thinking though, is that they are not as linear when unloaded as a coil spring is. We can tell a basic lift (at least of our WH coils) with some quick measurements. But the leaf packs? Not so sure they have a given arch, or eye-to-eye length to them or not. Funny, but I never actually thought about it until you asked!

There are many 11-leaf packs, from 3.5 to 5.5 inch lifts, and even the 2.5" packs as well. Which I'm sure is why you're asking. So we can't go by just the leaf count.
The length eye-to-eye is probably the same on all of them? That might be a start though.
Do you have access to the springs? Or are they some distance from you still at this point.

Back to the top for others to chime in .

Paul
I called wh this morning. Said they should be stamped. So they are a mystery as I called a few other vendors. None could give me a measurement. I bought um. So I guess I’ll find out.

I have an old duff 3.5 ad a leaf suspension lift kit sitting in a box never used. So hopefully these jive with the new duff coils.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If they’re a little high, you can always start taking out leaves. If there a lot high, then you may have to go to Plan B.
Whatever that is!

The other thing to be aware of though, is that most of these leaves sit high when first installed.
Don’t attempt to determine what size they are, unless the Broncos is at full weight. In other words, if you’re still in the middle of a project and there’s no hardtop no gas tank and no bumper and no lots of stuff, those leaves are gonna sit high, no matter what size they are.
Even a 2 1/2 inch leaf pack might put you up at 5 inches if the Bronco is mostly unfinished.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Right. Ya I’m really hoping it’s just correct. I’m driving 5 hours for them. But it’s good deal with no freight. Making the trip in my 4 cylinder daily.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 59
  • image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 58

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well, we know from the pics that they're WH springs. And judging by that arch, I'd say they're minimum 3.5" lift - probably more.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Well, we know from the pics that they're WH springs. And judging by that arch, I'd say they're minimum 3.5" lift - probably more.

Todd Z.
The guy says there’s no stamp or indication on them.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have a used set of wild horses 2-1/2" lift springs sitting here so I pulled one out for reference. It is about 11-3/8" as measured from the floor. Now these are used so they may have settled down some as compared to a brand new one, and as Paul said, just because a 2-1/2" spring measures "X" amount doesn't necessarily mean a 3-1/2" spring should measure 1" more. they may, but there could be variables with different spring rates and leaf design.

IMG_3317.jpg IMG_3316.jpg IMG_3318.jpg

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I have a used set of wild horses 2-1/2" lift springs sitting here so I pulled one out for reference. It is about 11-3/8" as measured from the floor. Now these are used so they may have settled down some as compared to a brand new one, and as Paul said, just because a 2-1/2" spring measures "X" amount doesn't necessarily mean a 3-1/2" spring should measure 1" more. they may, but there could be variables with different spring rates and leaf design.

View attachment 921994 View attachment 921993 View attachment 921995
So these could still be 3.5s? Is what you’re saying then?

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
All I can say with certainty is that they're most likely not 2-1/2" springs 😁

I don't know how they are manufacturing their springs, like do the 3.5", 4.5" and 5.5" have the same arch height but different spring rates, or do they have similar rates and use more arch to achieve the extra inches of height....or is it some combination in between....

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Thank you. These must have been painted. Hopefully they are really new

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry to show my lack of intimate knowledge with our own products, but it is hard for me to tell from the picture.
But there seem to be some discrepancies.
First, it really doesn’t look as if they’ve been painted. At least from the backside of the scrape to bare metal does not look like it’s going through multiple layers. And the runny nature of some areas looks like standard leafspring paint from here.
Of course, they could’ve still touched up the top part, but hard to tell about that from the pictures.
Some manufactures do use decals rather than stencils, and so maybe one of those wore off. They do that just from sitting.
It’s got the right number of braces, and it does look as if it has the Teflon pads between the leaves. But again, that’s hard to tell from the pictures.
I can’t tell if it’s got the big center pin that ours has, or used to have. I seem to remember talk about reducing the size, but don’t remember if that happened. Since these are probably older springs, they would still have the bigger than normal center pin.
And last, but not least, I’m definitely gonna have to get out a couple of sets and measure the arch. Because just at a glance, those look more arched than the typical 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 inch springs. As certainly indicated by Mig’s measurements, but being used springs, as mentioned it’s hard to compare because it’s not Apples to Apples.
I’ll try to get a couple of new sets out later and measure them on the ground.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Thank you so much. It’s a 5 hour drive. I already mailed the money. But I’m sure he would mail it back if they are not what he thinks they are.

It looks like his measurements in the picture is 12.5 inches. Or am I seeing that wrong?

Last edited:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well that explains why he never got back to me as I was interested as well and asked about any kind of ID or stamping?

My concern without stamping is they were described as from WH and were 3.5 but apparently had no markings? Didn't want to chance them being a set of rough riding springs.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Well that explains why he never got back to me as I was interested as well and asked about any kind of ID or stamping?

My concern without stamping is they were described as from WH and were 3.5 but apparently had no markings? Didn't want to chance them being a set of rough riding springs.
Are you looking for 3.5 specifically? Because I’ll try and get a refund if they are taller or they will be for sale

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"New-ish" WH leafs are marked, these were purchased in May, 2021.

1711492119678.png

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I’m thinking the part that is numbered was painted over. But idk. I haven’t gotten them yet. I’m still holding faith that DirtDonk from whs measurements will be the same.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Alright. Figured I’d ask in case you were trying to piece a lift together and this was the starting point.