• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running fuel line w/ Explorer Serp

Sherlock

Folks,

I've installed the Explorer serpentine swap and now wondering how you run fuel line from drivers side frame rail to the front of the carburetor. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to keep the fuel line in front of the engine block. The only option I'm seeing is running it on the drivers side behind power steering pump and it looks too close to the exhaust manifold for comfort

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've run the power steering hoses behind and under the pump to come out along the crossmember and to the steering box. Seems like since the fuel line is in that same area it would have plenty of room to run it underneath and then up in that same area.

It would necessarily be serpentine and convoluted to work it's way around the distributor once it's at the top, but even the stock one had to do that. I'll take a peek at mine later to see if I'm seeing things correctly in my mind, but since the power steering hose was super clean and easy to route under there, seems like fuel would be cake.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

First pic shows my ps hose and I can route fuel line right next to it. Second pic is where I think the fuel line would go up and route behind radiator hose. I think that's what you meant. Looks like it'll work!

Attachments

• 84D09127-BC94-4795-8A59-18F85074706F.jpg
    84D09127-BC94-4795-8A59-18F85074706F.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 50
  • AB7C9AD5-6EF7-4FF0-89CB-97BF146B2276.jpg
    AB7C9AD5-6EF7-4FF0-89CB-97BF146B2276.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 50

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that's exactly where that is. In fact you can see in your pic the water pump bolt with the stud on it. That stud is for mounting a clamp for, if I remember, a battery cable in the original application.
In our case it was the perfect place for a hose clamp for the power steering hose so it will always be retained firmly and out of any harm's way. You could make a double clamp and hole both the hose and the fuel line at the same point if it works out.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Nobody says it has to go to the front of the engine. I've run it up by the master cylinder to the feed the carb from behind.

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Paul,

The routing worked perfectly. Can you send a part number or pic of the type of clamp setup you're referring to that you used for the ps hose to secure it to the water pump stud? I'd like to secure that and the fuel hose a little more. I've never set up the type of dual clamp config you're talking about

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Thanks for the reply Broncobowsher. I had purchased and installed BC Bonc's steel fuel line which placed the rigid line on the drivers side frame rail towards the front of the motor. I was initially wishing I could've routed the fuel line up from the rear of the motor. Luckily for me, I could route the fuel line from the front with the explorer SERP installed.