• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp Install-1 inch BL needed?

Sherlock

Was hoping to install the Exp Serp and ran into a bit of an issue. I think I’ll need a 1 inch BL to make it work. Thought I’d post here before doing so just in case I missed something

Attachments

• 5CADF265-9B29-4676-B467-5B858AC87A0D.jpg
    5CADF265-9B29-4676-B467-5B858AC87A0D.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 113

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The reservoir for the power steering needs to be lowered, but that is all that is generally known to be an issue.

What motor mounts are you running? Was this a converted 6-cylinder frame?
The idler on the bottom of the passenger side should be really close to the crossmember. Some people have gone to the extreme mounts to raise the engine a little, or shim the motor mount, or even notch the crossmember. I believe there are 2 different diameters of that pulley as well, one clears better then the other. In short, the pulley should be really close to the frame. How much clearance do you have?

No reason it can't fit under a stock hood. It has been done before. Without a body lift.

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

They are the original motor mounts. I took the motor out a while ago, it’s now a 306 and just used the mounts that were on there originally since they looked okay. It’s not a 6 cyl conversion either.

The idler pulley is not super close to the frame. There’s probably about a half an inch. I went with a new, slightly smaller diameter idler pulley that someone had posted in the comments of the Serp Install tech article.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Have you tried closing the hood?

Do you have a transmission installed? You might need the transmission to rock the engine forward a little and that will lower the accessory drive as well. I know it is close, that is why the power steering needs lowering.

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Well, I’ve had my duh moment of the week. I actually tried to close the hood and it’s fine. There’s not much space between the bracket and hood but it closes.

Broncobowsher, my wife just beat you to the suggestion of closing the hood. I guess that PhD she has works for broncos too.

Ratch

Contributor
Well, I’ve had my duh moment of the week. I actually tried to close the hood and it’s fine. There’s not much space between the bracket and hood but it closes.

Broncobowsher, my wife just beat you to the suggestion of closing the hood. I guess that PhD she has works for broncos too.
You need to make a relocation bracket for the p.s. reservoir.
632b0bacbbaf1cecbf17337a86fa2892.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Put some play dooh on top of it and see how much room you have after closing the hood. perfect reason to own some playdoh or clay.

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Thanks everyone. I am reminded that having this site is a very valuable resource to ask questions and learn. It’s also saved me from many hours of unnecessary work due to my own ignorance.

Last edited:

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
76 bronco

Doing mine now radiator was fun to mount radiator hoses fit nice I have the same thermostat housing .lower idler pulley I got 5/8" clearance with no BL kit

Attachments

• IMG_5440.jpg
    IMG_5440.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 55