• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yet another EFI install

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
Im getting ready in the near future to start an Ford EFI install on my 68 bronco with a 302.

I will be on here asking lots of questions to those who have already done this swap.

My parts are mainly from an early 90s ford mustang HO. Are there any suggestions before I get started maybe on where to begin I was thinking about getting it all laid out and go from there. What about wiring harnesses? I have the original from the car.

My bronco needs a complete wiring set up is there a company that makes a complete harness for the entire bronco with all the EFI hook ups?

I have a 23 gal tank with return lines what does everyone suggest for the fuel delivery to the unit?

What about parts that need to be replaced on the almost 20 year old EFI parts?

Ill take lots of pictures Im sure there a some people in my same situation.

Thanks to the best bronco site on the net.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most of the guys here swear by the different wiring harness that are available. If you have the time and skills you can use the harness out of the vehicle that the engine came from. Usually for free. If you are redoing the whole vehicle an option is to use the harness and power distribution box from the mustang. I'm using components out of a 94 Mustang. I'm moving the battery to the drivers side and mounting the power distribution box on the drivers side fender well. This will provide all of the charging system hook ups and relays and fuses for the computer, starter, fuel pump, electric fan, horn, etc. It also has a bunch of fuses that can be used for all of the other systems in the vehicle. I reloom the harness to remove unused circuits and move things where I want them. You will also gain an intiment familiarity which helps a bunch in trouble shooting. The two I've done so far have been working flawlessly for a few years now and look like a factory installation.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Painless and centech have harnesses and EFI add on harnesses. Ryans harness has instructions to tie into the Painless and centech harnesses.
You can send your donor EFI harness to Ric Kolibar and he can rework it and freshen it so it is an easy install.
In my experience, if you have problems with your install it will be probably due to bad ( used) sensors or poor wiring. You can signficantly reduce your odds of problems with either a new harness or a reworked one from Ric.
Tom

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just finished my install , RJM harness was great quality and easy install. I installed my new tank ,fuel pumps , pump wiring and lines(aluminum lines- no bender really needed - looks fine) accumulator and then ran the truck off of the front tank only(on the carb and old remaining fuel lines) until I was ready to do the install. This allowed me to work on it at my leisure and also drive it to the exhaust place to get it prepped for O2 sensors , again at my leisure.

Just before I got to the motor , I put the harness through the fire wall and got it set up for the computer , no connections made at that point.
While doing this , I was also cleaning and "rebuilding" the injectors , cleaning the gunk from my efi intakes , prepping the throttle body ( I used an explorer system , you get to skip that mod. - just clean it up).
The bronco was only down for a short amount of time. If everything went perfectly (HAHAHAHAHA !) I could see doing the final swap part in a day.
If you are using newer heads with your 69 block beware of this :
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116364

Hmm ,what else ?
http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=1355

http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=712

http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=659

And the mother of all EFI install links , your new bible :
http://fordfuelinjection.com/

I used the pumps suggested in the link above , as I do not have the in tank pump option.

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I dont have an in tank option either...I do have a nice high pressure electric carter pump on the carb system. I believe I need to get a return pump? I have heard a rumor that my firing order may be off going to the HO EFI? Does anyone know the correct firing order for this?

tweingad

you can find that on fordfuelinjection.com they have lots of good info for this install.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont have an in tank option either...I do have a nice high pressure electric carter pump on the carb system. I believe I need to get a return pump? I have heard a rumor that my firing order may be off going to the HO EFI? Does anyone know the correct firing order for this?

1. high pressure for efi is around 40psi , you sure you have that for a carb? I think you'd need a regulator and a return for that.

2. I believe my low pressure is rated for around 5-7 psi , just to give you an idea.

3. You will use a two pump system with an accumulator because high pressure pumps do not suck well . However , low pressue pumps do suck well. It's the trade off in pump design apparently. The low pressure pump fills/pressurizes an accumulator which feeds the poorly sucking HP pump. You will need a return line from the accumulator , which does not need a pump.

4. your firing order will be off , you will do nothing about it unless you buy a programer for the ECU , and you will never know that it is out of order. I do not really understand it , but it is true , it works fine . Hell it idles soooo much smoother than it did with the carb. I'm not screwing with it till I get a new cam designed for EFI performance in mind , then it will be correct.

5 . Finally .....http://fordfuelinjection.com/ .....read your bible. Also , this site , click on the tech forum and look for the little "search this forum" box , type in your key words and start reading.

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
how does this work with the firing order off? that does not make since? You just did the set up and it worked fine?

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Low Pressure Fuel Pump 72 GPH @ 6 PSI Carter P4070
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CTR&MfrPartNumber=P4070

High Pressure Fuel Pump 50 GPH @ 100 PSI Carter P74028
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CTR&MfrPartNumber=P74028

Thats what I was using , the HP pump was bad out of the box so I sourced one from the local Autozone 'cause I was in a hurry. The carter hp pump (#74028) is actually a replacement part number for a late 80's (88 or 89) f-150 with fuel injection.

I still have to properly adjust my base idle because it is a bit too slow , but it idles fine , runs fine . I do not understand it myself , you'd think it would act like it has a bunch of dead cylinders , but it doesn't.

Bowsher , Lars , Nukem ! anyone care to give a technical explaination , I'd be interested to know. (or perhaps I should buy the Probst manual :) )

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
Well thats good to know about the firing order I will be starting here in the next few weeks. the entire bronco needs wiring ... any suggestions with the EFI upgrade and complete wiring for the bronco?

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
RJM for EFI harness , that's what I used . Really simple install and hook up , but I'd imagine all the top ones are as the EFI is actually a pretty simple system. I don't know about the body harness , mine is still in pretty good shape , sooo....

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I've been collecting parts and have yet to start the install. This thread sounds like it will be helpful. When I disconnect the stock mechanical fuel pump and switch things over the low and high pressure pumps, do I remove the old mechanical pump? Do they make a plate to cover the hole if I take it off? Do I just leave it there with nothing hooked up to it? Do I leave it there and loop a short hose across the inlet and outlet to keep dirt/water from getting inside it?

Thanks

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They make a fuel pump block off plate , should be cheap. I don't know what issues would arise if you left the pump on there.

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I went to NAPA and got a block off plate comes with a gasket looks real clean it was under 20 dollars.

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I just got my EGR plate off today took a little work but my plane is to clean up the TB and get the intake painted and cleaned up. From what I have read Im going to use BC broncos block off plate so I dont have to mess around with a throttle cable later

Attachments

• EFI.jpg
    EFI.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I wonder if I will need to replace the studs or if they will be ok with the EGR block off plate

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you are using BC's throttle cable adapter , you do not need a special attachment for the throttle cable bracket. It uses the (now) TB mounting holes and bolts. Thats what I used , I'm not sure how much $ BC's egr plate is , but American Broncos is only $20. I've seen others ask a lot more for a very simple plate of aluminum with a hole or three in it.

My stock bolts worked fine , plate is only 1/4" thick.