• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wanted a Bronco (West Coast Bronco Build Thread)

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Jay. They are the explorer brakes that I had powder coated (high temp I think). Getting soooo close. I've been waiting long enough to get this thing on the road! Where are you at with your rig?

Cobra11

Contributor
Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
I'm getting there as well, although not quite to your point. they still have some more fab stuff to do, but progress is going well at this point. they took it over to have all the ac work done now instead of at the end so we know where we're at with fitting and plumbing everything else under the hood. I'm getting excited though with the progress after the long delay. its nice to see things moving along!

mjramacher

great build looks awesome one question where did you get your ac bulkhead on the fire wall.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Currie Hi-9 installed. Just need to shorten the driveline a little. Makes a huge difference in my rear driveline angle! Pictures are at full droop.

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 175
OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I actually just sold the center section the other day. I had some 1976 F150 full width axles that I listed and the guy that showed up bought the center chunk as well.

Bb975d

Hey Kenny,

I am looking at setting my truck up with the full width Axles and backspacing on the wheels like yours. You said that yours or 17 x 9 with 5 inch backspacing. I looked on Walker Evans site and the ones that look like yours say they are 17 x 8.5" with 5 backspacing. Are yours 9" or 8.5. I am concerned for the backspacing with my tie rod over set up. Thanks

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
After a lot of help from the guys here we finally figured out that my computer was bad. Picked up another from Mattt (thanks again) and it runs! Hopefully we will get it to the exhaust shop soon and on the road from there.

IMG_2605.MOV

Not sure how to post a video clip?

ILikeBond

Probably have to upload to Youtube and post the link, or at least embed it. Don't think you can direct upload here like with pictures unfortunately. Looking forward to it though!

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Got exhaust done today. Stuffed in the biggest muffler they could and 3" pipe. Getting sooooo close to getting this thing on the road (I hope). Having some hiccups with the power steering (explorer). Doesn't have any power at idle and gets some pressure once its revved. Reading a few previous threads about the same problem so hopefully we can figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2622.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 179

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
My new Explorer pump was the same way when I first fired mine up, (Hydroboost brakes). It took quite a while to bleed all the air out of the system. After the first day I thought I was going to need a more substantial pump, but after driving it around for a week or so, it must have settled, because now it's has power at idle. It takes time for the fluid to rid itself of the air. If you turn it lock-to-lock to bleed it, the pump will cavitate and just makes it worse. Good luck. That three inch pipe is huge, looks like the exhaust guy did a nice job.

Mark

reynard101

Bronco Guru
What brand of muffler? How's it sounds?

Looks great! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
It's a Magnaflow muffler. I don't know the model. It actually sounds really nice. I told him that I wanted it to be as quiet as possible since I would probably never have a top on it. It does have a nice growl when you rev it up.

Last edited:

mattt

Bronco Guru
Looking good Kenny. That muffler looks big under there......same way I went, big and quiet. I think mine is a Magnaflow and is like 22-24" long.

As for the Explorer pump, it's a pain to burp the air out. How I did mine was I used a Dewalt 18v drill/nut runner with an allen socket that is the same size as the internal hex of the pump pulley center bolt. With that allen socket, I could spin the pump up to speed without running the engine. At first it didn't want to purge, then all of a sudden I had one huge burp while running the Dewalt that spit fluid back out the top the reservoir. Off the top of my head, I don't remember the rotation direction of the pump but as long as the tool is reversible, you can make it work. Good luck and knocking stuff off the "to do" list.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thank Mattt. Might try that today. I have a spare pump I pulled from a '97 explorer awhile back. We might swap that on there just to confirm that it isn't the pump and go from there.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like we figured out the PS problem. The fitting I had was sitting too deep into the pump. We shaved some threads down to match the stock fitting and all is good. Brakes and pump now work great! Still need to button up the AC and that's pretty much it. Shake-down after that to find all the little issues. Adjusting everything to drive nice and then on the road!

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Man oh man, I've been watching your build since the beginning and it is SWEET. So exciting to see how close it is getting!!! It is awesome!